Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #21
CAG

Good Sam road side service. I am not trying to change a tire on a busy freeway in 100+ heat. I have had two blowouts over the years and the service has been well worth the money.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHetzer View Post
This forum is great, lots of great tips from great members! After 30 yrs of driving and 8+ yrs with a camper had my first flat repair.

I too had one of those ramps that should have elevated the flat tire but it didn’t lift high enough and needed to use my bottle jack to lift another couple inches. Was able to change tire in about 15 minutes but as other folks said, good to be prepared ahead of time. Also liked the idea of using the Anderson levelers, even with some extra boards so will try that method if there is a “next time”.

Attachment 54441
What happened to your tires, was it a blowout or did it get sliced? Looks like a GY Endurance and we haven't seen many of those failures yet.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #23

and (actually) a 1/2" off the ground would be (better than) 2" off the ground
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #24

Quote:
This forum is great, lots of great tips from great members! After 30 yrs of driving and 8+ yrs with a camper had my first flat repair.

I too had one of those ramps that should have elevated the flat tire but it didn’t lift high enough and needed to use my bottle jack to lift another couple inches. Was able to change tire in about 15 minutes but as other folks said, good to be prepared ahead of time. Also liked the idea of using the Anderson levelers, even with some extra boards so will try that method if there is a “next time”.

Attachment 54441

FYI, That "Flat tire" looks like a "Run-Low Sidewall flex failure. With better (closer) pictures I could be more certain. I don't see a TPM sensor on the valve stem. TPMS would most likely have provided warning of the low inflation and possibly prevented the destruction of the tire if the warning had been followed.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #25

Is that tire a Goodyear Endurance??? How old was the tire? The other tire looks like it has a few puckers in the sidewall as well. At least it doesn't appear to have any damage to the trailer.

I just put GY Endurance tires on my TT about 4 months ago.
Route 66 Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #26

I believe the tire was a blow out. Thankfully no damage to the trailer like I’ve heard some other folks experienced!

It’s a 2018 camper I purchased in 2017, tires had manufactured date of 2016. I was surprised to have a blowout with Goodyear Endurance tire as most of the tire issues were with off brand tires.

We were traveling down a bumpy road so didn’t feel or hear when the tire blew but did notice consistent roughness and saw smoke from tire in side view mirror. We were on a narrow road with no shoulder so had to drive 1/4 to 1/2 mile before we found a safe place to pull over and change tire.

Will definitely be getting tps system to get notified earlier but don’t believe we drove very far after the tire blowout.
AndyHetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #27

What load range are the tires and what pressures are you running! Are the other 3 showing any signs of failing? Did you contact Goodyear about your problem? Kind of disconcerting to see such a complete failure on a supposedly top of the line tire.

I have been using Eez Tire TPMS on my rig for the past 3 years...works great.
https://eezrvproducts.com/
Old 10-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #28

I believe the tires are E load range, rated at 80 psi and I kept them near that max.

I haven’t contacted Goodyear but plan to pickup replacement tire from dealer tomorrow so will contact GY afterwards, thanks for tip.
AndyHetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #29

Quote:
I believe the tire was a blow out. Thankfully no damage to the trailer like I’ve heard some other folks experienced!

It’s a 2018 camper I purchased in 2017, tires had manufactured date of 2016. I was surprised to have a blowout with Goodyear Endurance tire as most of the tire issues were with off brand tires.

We were traveling down a bumpy road so didn’t feel or hear when the tire blew but did notice consistent roughness and saw smoke from tire in side view mirror. We were on a narrow road with no shoulder so had to drive 1/4 to 1/2 mile before we found a safe place to pull over and change tire.

Will definitely be getting tps system to get notified earlier but don’t believe we drove very far after the tire blowout.

The sidewall damage and heat comes from running after you have lost 40% to 90% of the air not after the rapid air loss. There is extreme heat generated internal to the sidewall structure with temperatures reaching the 400F range. I have covered Sidewall Run Low flex failures in a number of my blog posts including one where a movie of the failed tire was made with close enough pictures that I was able to perform a "visual autopsy" and confirm the cause of the failure.
It only takes a few miles at extreme low inflation for the tire sidewall polyester to "melt out" leaving only the sidewall rubber to retain whatever pressure remains.

If you want to learn the facts you may want to review my pictures of the analysis. It's posted under "Blowout A real life Experience" on July 22 2012
Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #30
Site Team

Be sure and take the old tire with you. Usually only a Goodyear Dealer can handle any warranty claim or at least get the ball rolling.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Be sure and take the old tire with you. Usually only a Goodyear Dealer can handle any warranty claim or at least get the ball rolling.
That’s a true statement...I found out the hard way. Stores that sell Goodyear tires aren’t necessarily Goodyear AUTHORIZED Dealers. You have to go to the Goodyear website and search for your local authorized dealer.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:56 AM   #32

When you get to Goodyear authorized dealer do not be surprised if they say that the tire suffered a Run Low Flex Failure.
If you don't want to accept my conclusion you can always Google Run Low Flex Failure and select images. or read This page

This forum doesn't allow me to post direct links to my RV Tire Safety blog so you will need to do a bit more work.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #33

I've got an EZ jack (similar) that I used a few times on a leaf spring 23' hybrid Jayco Kiwi. It worked great. We now have a White Hawk 27DSRL and the axles are too far apart to use it.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote