Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Gps

I currently use my phone and a regular garman gps. A couple of times I have found myself pulling my 32’ TT on roads I would rather have avoided. Can anyone recommend an RV gps? I do not need or want a lot of bells and whistles... just a best route to the destination.
Thanks for responding.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
CAG

The search function in the gold band at the top of the page is pretty useful for these questions. It is a little dodgy at times but it does work.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...rvs-67698.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Any Garmin RV GPS should serve you well. I just bought a new Garmin RV 780 and out of the three I have owned, it is the best one.

For bells and whistles, the Garmin RV 890.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Any Garmin RV GPS should serve you well. I just bought a new Garmin RV 780 and out of the three I have owned, it is the best one.

For bells and whistles, the Garmin RV 890.

Murff
That RV780 looks good.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

Garmin RV780 works great for me.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 195RB
2014 Ford Flex (retired)
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L
Boooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #6

There is plenty phone apps to use as a RV GPS and they will always be up to date.
I use CoPilot for $29.99 a year and it works great. There is another one, RV LIFE that its a paid subscription as well.

I rather pay $30 a year than $600 for RV dedicated GPS that want you to pay extra to update the maps.

Its just my opinion and it works for me.
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
There is plenty phone apps to use as a RV GPS and they will always be up to date.
I use CoPilot for $29.99 a year and it works great. There is another one, RV LIFE that its a paid subscription as well.

I rather pay $30 a year than $600 for RV dedicated GPS that want you to pay extra to update the maps.
Actually, you can get the Garmin RV770 for around half the $600, and it comes with FREE lifetime map updates.

Plus, it doesn't tie up your phone, doesn't rely on having a cell connection, and provides many RV specific data points and services, as well as notifies you of road the rig can't go on.

And lastly, having a bigger screen to look at than a cell phone is always a plus!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
Site Team

We rely on arv760 that we bought new years ago. It has lifetime map updates and is very good even now. Garmin comes out with new issue often, like iphones for "have to have the latest" crowd.

We have had 3 vehicles each with a different make of GPS built in . In my opinion they are ALL very hard to use, NOT user friendly, and a big expense to update. Basically useless except for looking at where you are!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:50 AM   #9

Keep in mind that there are places where GPS doesn't work, either.

A backup is always good :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie G View Post
I currently use my phone and a regular garman gps. A couple of times I have found myself pulling my 32’ TT on roads I would rather have avoided. Can anyone recommend an RV gps? I do not need or want a lot of bells and whistles... just a best route to the destination.
Thanks for responding.
I also wish I knew what GPS to use. I have a Garmin RV770 set on Rv mode. Last week it had me get off the interstate and take a very narrow mountain road about thirty mile across a mountain to get where I was going. If I had driven a few more miles up the road there was a very good road that went straight to my destination. Always have a good map ready and know in advance where you are going. I run my GPS everywhere I go and sometimes just for entertainment to see what it will do next.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
I also wish I knew what GPS to use. I have a Garmin RV770 set on Rv mode. Last week it had me get off the interstate and take a very narrow mountain road about thirty mile across a mountain to get where I was going. If I had driven a few more miles up the road there was a very good road that went straight to my destination. Always have a good map ready and know in advance where you are going. I run my GPS everywhere I go and sometimes just for entertainment to see what it will do next.
My Garmin RV770 has routed me on some "adventures" to say the least. I find that at times it will send me miles and miles out of my way on a trip. I agree with Racin - ALWAYS have a map with you...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #12

Not to long ago, my employer switched to a paperless work order app on a co provided tablet. It uses map quest for job locations. This one map in Aviston,Il ended with a - - - -. Turns out that was a 1/2 mile wide cornfield. Mapquest fail. At least I was in a co service van.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #13

Like any mapping system, you are at the mercy of the people who compile the data...

We once wound up on a forestry fire road, in the dark, after taking the advice of our GPS :-) One of those times when I was really grateful for 4WD !

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #14

Blame the folks that write the algorithm, the mapping company, and not setting the parameters of how you want to travel.
Between Google maps and my updatable Garmin I have few problems. With old school maps I had problems too.
JMHO
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Keep in mind that there are places where GPS doesn't work, either.

A backup is always good :-)
Download maps to your phones memory. I use OnXmaps a bunch for hunting, hiking areas where there is no phone service. If my phone can load Sats, and unless you are in a deep narrow canyon, it almost always can, I have GPS.

Head units with GPS maps is slowly fading out as new units come with direct connections to phones.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
My Garmin RV770 has routed me on some "adventures" to say the least. I find that at times it will send me miles and miles out of my way on a trip. I agree with Racin - ALWAYS have a map with you...
I've had similar adventures where it sends me the "safe" way, not the most direct way. I now run it in Car mode, not RV mode, but I pay attention to what's coming up.... I also like to live "on the edge"..

What I usually do is map my route before I go on Google maps, and look at the satellite view, to see if there might be any issues. This also gives me a proposed route, so when I program the Garmin, I compare the routes to see the differences.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
CAG

The rule when using a GPS is know where your are going and how you will get there before using the GPS. Just use the GPS to warn you of turns. Driving blindly with just the GPS directing you is like RetiredOne says. An "adventure" in the making.

Most times when I am in the back country, I have laid out a route, with waypoints at turns and important locations along the way. Having the GPS send you on an adventure when you are on sketchy 4WD roads with lots of forks can lead to some interesting results. I generally do that same lay out with RV road trips. Many "headunit" GPS programs do not allow waypoint layout. Some of the newer ones are doing that but a GPS that will not allow waypointing is really pretty useless for me at least.