Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #21

I also have the TST tire monitors. I don't put too much credence into the temperatures measured by the sensors. The sensor for my inside tire is far removed from the tire itself and gets it's temperature from outside air. The outside dual would also be greatly affected by outside air temperature as it's on a shorter extender. The only TPMS temperatures that would be accurate would be internal sensors.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #22

Drove 36 miles last night at about 65-75 mph and my fronts were 122.7 LH & 122.1 RH. Rears were 115.7 LH & 115.2 RH. No towing involved. Funny how one side is cooler than the other.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #23

Mine will start out w/ uneven temps due to which side of the vehicle is exposed to the sun and for how long. Eventually they get pretty close while driving, but I've even seen one side warmer than the other if driving w/ the sun on that side for any length of time.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #24

Below is a link to TPMS temperature information from a tire engineer that might be useful. He has a lot of good tire information on his Blog. Bottom line is that his testing has show stem mounted TPMS systems to read temperatures significantly below actual tire temperatures.

RV Tire Safety: How accurate is your TPMS - Part two
Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
Below is a link to TPMS temperature information from a tire engineer that might be useful. He has a lot of good tire information on his Blog. Bottom line is that his testing has show stem mounted TPMS systems to read temperatures significantly below actual tire temperatures.

Interesting info. It would be good to hear what an external TPMS engineer thinks about this data, and whether the different material of stems makes any difference; for example, stainless vs. brass.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post

I wrote Roger about my tire heating problem and we've exchanged several emails now. He's taking a trip with his trailer later this month and will use the trip for further TPMS research. He will be posting on his blog the results around July 20th.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #27

Hopefully not hijacking too much here, but had to head out last month without installing tireminder. Laser temp on hubs was never more than 25 over ambient.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Hopefully not hijacking too much here, but had to head out last month without installing tireminder. Laser temp on hubs was never more than 25 over ambient.

Are you talking about your trailer hub temps or the TV. I was asking about the TV drive axle. My temps are just like yours except for the TV drive axle. That's what I'm still trying to figure out.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
Are you talking about your trailer hub temps or the TV. I was asking about the TV drive axle. My temps are just like yours except for the TV drive axle. That's what I'm still trying to figure out.
My bad, trailer hubs.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #30

When descending from the mountains, and using the brakes to often, the heat of brakes transpoted trough the rimms, can rise the tire-inside to boiling point of water , so 100 degr C/ 212 degr F.
With that the pressure rises, wich gives lesser deflection, so lesser heatproduction of the tire itself. But best then is to use the motor as brake, and go slower down.

Normal on flat road when driving about 55m/h, tire inside about 110 to 120 degr F.

Now on mobile, but when on laptop, I will give tabel for temp/pressure.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
This is an interesting post....

The heat comes from the rear differential, which is where all the work is being done. The steel in the rear end is a huge heat sink and in the end, radiates it out into the air moving over it and into the hubs/wheels/tires. I've read of rear ends running upwards of 200 deg. F. So your 175 for Tow Vehicle Tire Temp. seems plausable. I'd like to think that the air moving across it would scrub some of that off.

I'd use a temp gun and shoot the diff itself and see where it's at during a tow session. When was the last time the oil was changed? Are you running a good synthetic? If it's a limited slip differential, are you running slip modifiers in the synthetic?
X2 Since we are talking tow vehicle. This is especially true if you are pulling a heavy TT with a half ton.
AndreenRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Oh crap...didn’t see that big TV in your post! lol
Short story: I was sitting in my home office when I thought I heard a gunshot outside. I went to check and the spare tire on the back of my travel trailer had exploded. It sat in the sun all the time. Something to say for mounting the spare under the Travel Trailer.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel View Post
Short story: I was sitting in my home office when I thought I heard a gunshot outside. I went to check and the spare tire on the back of my travel trailer had exploded. It sat in the sun all the time. Something to say for mounting the spare under the Travel Trailer.

Wow, did you ever come to a conclusion on why it exploded? Just sitting in the sun doesn't seem likely. Was it a China Bomb (literally).
Old 07-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #34

The tire was old and I think the pressure got high enough to rupture the side walls.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel View Post
I wonder if that's because of temp changes? We went to Massey's Landing in DE. this past week and my low pressure came on in my truck. It was facing the Sun all week. The temperatures changed dramatically from around 100 one day down to low to mid 60's the next. I'm chalking the pressure light for coming on to the drastic temp change. Not sure if it's that or a tire issue. Since topping it off, it hasn't given a light. Yet.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote