Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

How are you full timers doing?

I am not a full timer, not retired yet. But the DW and I have talked about a summer, maybe a year to see some country. With all the campgrounds closing and this COVID-19 raising havoc on everything. How are you guys doing in general? Are you finding places to stay or just hold up? How are you handling the panic buying, and not having a lot of storage? I would think that boon-docking would be a plus. Any lessons or tricks?

I would love to learn from your experiences, you guys are the pros. Please share! I think we are at a point that it’s going to be different going forward.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

Hello! Murrieta, Ca? I used to work in Corona; lived in Lake Arrowhead. Wife and I sold most of our belongings and moved into our Seneca. Put what was left in storage and fled California in the dead of night. Loving life on the road. Takes a little getting used to, especially the stress of wondering where we're going to end up, next. Currently work-camping at a bed and breakfast in Escalante, Utah. We got lucky when Covid hit because the work-campers who were supposed to come after us all canceled, so we're filling their shoes. My wife keeps up on available work-camp jobs online, that way we have a place to go once our commitment is up at the place we're currently at. Also, we've established a seasonal gig at Custer State Park. The hardest part of this new way of life is starting. Once you establish a "system" on how to find a place to go, the journey is incredible. The sights this country has to offer are incredible, and the people we meet at campgrounds are special. We're quite sure along the way, we'll find the perfect place to call home, again. Take care, and Happy Trails...
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 AM   #3

Full timing is a new world with new challenges and benefits. As a retired Navy engineer, my challenge was water. Not really my challenge, more for the DW. I have to say the "D" word has slipped. Living with someone that had to experience water rations for 30yrs is something like no other., so I'm told.

We have been FT for about ten years now with our home base out of our son's home (Rockford ILL area). We are blessed to have a son and daughter in-law that loves so much. They collect and forward mail and that is a life saver. Their driveway allows us the opportunity to have extended stays for birthdays and holidays. Although we have had to upgrade connections to accommodate us, but that's family and well worth it.

We winter camp in the south Rio Grand valley area, with a purchased lot in Harlingen, TX now. We traveled the gulf coast for many years trying to find that right place and of course wanting to experience the views (benefits).

The hardest is the first step. Letting go will come after the first season...

Good Luck.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote