Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2020, 06:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

We still do not travel with anything living in the rig when underway.
Ok a corpse or two are good to go!
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Ok a corpse or two are good to go!
I just knew someone was going to go here...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I remember the 45 mile (one way) trips to an from the beach in the back of a truck. Then when we got home we might even drink out of the garden hose as we washed the salt water off the truck Ahhh the memories
Having not grown up in the US I have only ever rode in the bed of a truck once (on private ground) and my lasting impression was, boy is it uncomfortable I did not get the appeal, mind you it was an older Dodge 2500, if it had been a ford it would have been like riding in a caddy I am sure
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
Having not grown up in the US I have only ever rode in the bed of a truck once (on private ground) and my lasting impression was, boy is it uncomfortable I did not get the appeal, mind you it was an older Dodge 2500, if it had been a ford it would have been like riding in a caddy I am sure
F-100 an I was around 13 yrs old if I recall correctly. Highway was kind of new so it was smooth
Old 07-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #25

When I was a kid my Uncle would take my brother and me and my two Cousins to A&W Rootbeer in the back of a '49 Ford pickup down a bumpy dirt road. We would take turns sitting on the tailgate with our legs dangling in the breeze. Never fell out, but came pretty close a couple of times....

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #26

In a true emergency situation I would do it. I'd probably slow my speed to 35-40 and run with hazards on until I get to a safe spot.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #27

I'm 99% sure it's illegal to ride in a tt. However, it IS legal to ride in a 5th wheel as long as there is communication between the trailer and tow vehicle.
As far as riding in the trailer and causing damage to the slide, I can't imagine it could damage it unless you are on the inner edge like someone else posted. Sitting on the couch that's in the slide I wouldn't think would be an issue.
The legality and safety side, .... today day and age you get thrown in jail if even a passenger has an open adult beverage. Back in the day if the cops felt the driver was good you just got sent on your way. Laws these days make absolutely no sense. It's the law you have to wear a seatbelt and the vehicle basically has you surrounded by airbags, yet it's ok to ride a motorcycle with no helmet. There's no such thing as a minor fender bender on a motorcycle, you become an organ donor.
Honestly, I've rode in a 5th wheel before just for a short ways and just to see how bad it really is back there. I'm gonna say, you need earplugs is so noisy back there and it's absolutely amazing how more stuff isn't broke due to the beating they take on the road.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
I'm 99% sure it's illegal to ride in a tt. However, it IS legal to ride in a 5th wheel as long as there is communication between the trailer and tow vehicle.
It depends on the state. In MI it's allowed in both.

https://rvblogger.com/blog/can-i-leg...%20passengers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #29

Personal decision.
Just because you can may not mean you should.

Something to chaw on.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #30

X2 with Norty. The only difference is that I have cut two pieces of wood that I slide under the edge gap to assure that no one breaks off the edge. When we stop for lunch we often sit in slide. Never had a problem.

I also agree with all those who would never let a living thing ride in the TT. I've done a lot of research on the construction of TT's and even just a sharp side bump could collapse the structure. They are not made for moving living things.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #31

Got it, be quiet & keep my head down...
Old 08-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #32

Dont do It

Only in last resort, if its the only way to get everyone to the final destination. Our 287BHS doesn't have shocks and after seeing some stuff tossed about after our first trip, I wouldn't want passengers back there. A definite NO to sitting at the table or sofa on the slide while traveling. We even avoid walking on the narrow strip while it's retracted because it just doesn't seem very supportive. The above posted picture of the semi and TT tangled mess is enough for me to say no passengers.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #33

Your head line answers your question or it should. (I know the hazards, But)
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
In Michigan, people are allowed to travel in a TT as long as there is two way communication available.
We are going camping Labor day weekend and the grand babies will be in TV with us. IF the kids car should "have issue" on the journey(3-4 hours), is it safe for them to sit on couch in the slide? (adult kids, not grandkids)

Will the slide be damaged from them bouncing on it on highway?

Please don't flame me/shame me, this is a worse case emergency plan.
I don't necessarily like the idea either, however... could they or are they best to stay at the dinette?
Hi
I am in Michigan and have sold RV's 30+ years. I suspect you'll find that the people are allowed in a fifth wheel, but not a travel trailer. The other thing is trailers do not have the suspension or sound deading that your vehicle has, so the ride is quite nasty....I have a boat load of grand kids too...make them try to get along best you can
Tcdoughboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #35

Tongue Weight Changes

When I was younger we were on vacation with a trailer on behind. Mom was inside and moved from the back to the front. This changed the weight on the tongue and Dad could barely maintain control.
We survived but it will never be allowed in my family.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #36

Before you consider doing this maybe you should get inside and let someone take you for a ride. I'm quite sure you will know the answer to your question. It's a wild ride in there.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #37

No, no, n9...
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #38

Kids in trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
In Michigan, people are allowed to travel in a TT as long as there is two way communication available.
We are going camping Labor day weekend and the grand babies will be in TV with us. IF the kids car should "have issue" on the journey(3-4 hours), is it safe for them to sit on couch in the slide? (adult kids, not grandkids)

Will the slide be damaged from them bouncing on it on highway?

Please don't flame me/shame me, this is a worse case emergency plan.
I don't necessarily like the idea either, however... could they or are they best to stay at the dinette?
IMO... watch just before 3:17
Ride? no... I've picked up too many body parts. Are your windows safety glass? Mighty bouncy ride.
Damage? probably. My manual says to level the trailer before opening...sensitive.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Before you consider doing this maybe you should get inside and let someone take you for a ride. I'm quite sure you will know the answer to your question. It's a wild ride in there.
^^ This ^^
Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #40

riding in a towed trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Before I let any of our teenagers pull the horse trailer with horses I would take them out on our rural roads and make them ride in the trailer, standing. The could grab the feed bin for balance which is more than the horses could do, took curves, bumpy roads, back up -forward.

I can't believe that people are equating riding in the back of a pick up with riding in a towed trailer, be it 5th wheel or TT. I'm 69 years old and yes I've ridden in the back of a pickup, been lucky, as a teen saw a few of my friends riding the rail and fall out and a few that just bounced out as we were speeding through the desert.
I would never put anything living in the back of a towed item. Go to Youtube.com type in; trailer accidents caught on tape and see that it is not only your driving and towing abilities but those of others on the highway or roads with you.