Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #1

Insurance?

We have ordered a 2021 Redhawk 24B and I called our State Farm agent to inquire about insurance. With a perfect driving record, I was quoted "around" $900 for full coverage and told a motorhome does not count for the multi-vehicle discount. I don't know if this quote is bad or good and was hoping that with the vast experience inherent in this forum, you may be able to provide some guidance or recommendations. TIA
cwppwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:46 AM   #2

Full coverage at Progressive...$550/yr. Mine is due in September....will be shopping around in August.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:39 AM   #3

I have State Farm also, but found Progressive to be half the price and better all around coverage for the travel trailer I have. Give them a call. You’re not getting a multi line discount with SF anyways.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:56 AM   #4

Our 2021 Pinnacle 36FBTL is $1000 with progressive
Old 06-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #5

You can't always go by what other's pay since rates vary State to State.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

As others have said, since your not getting a multi-policy discount shop around. I’d check with progressive. My home and auto policy provider wouldn’t insure our golf cart we took to campgrounds (and most campgrounds where we go require insurance on personal carts) so I went with progressive just for the cart.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You can't always go by what other's pay since rates vary State to State.
Not just state by state. Just the zip code you live in and are near to. Up until about 20 years ago, about 3/4 of the the top 10 worst accident sites within Minnesota were within just a few miles of my home. Two of which were less than 3/4 of a mile from my house.

Guess who pays the insurance premium price . Vehicle premiums were the horrid for everyone who lives in this area. Only now the historical data is now helping drive insurance prices down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #8

Progressive

We just bought a 2021. Grand Design, and full coverags with Progressive for one year is $449
MickUpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Thank you all! I do live in a rural area way north of Seattle and my 40 years of insurance through State Farm has always been very reasonable. But I had issues (albeit minor) getting their underwriters to insure my previous TTs and 5th wheel. Now, stepping up to a Class C and talking with my agent, it appears that it is time to actually shop around. As fate would have it, I just received an advertisement from Good Sam insurance. I realize insurance is more than premium, but in actual service when filing a claim. I equate Good Sam with Camping World and unfortunately, I’ve had bad experiences in the past with both Camping World Sales and Service. Does anyone have claim experience with Good Sam or Progressive full coverage support?
cwppwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #10

I've been with progressive for over a decade for my atv insurance.

A couple years in, I had a pretty good quadding accident that involved myself and another quad. Damage to his ride was around $750... damage to mine was over 5 grand as it rolled over sideways a couple times after slamming me into the ground on the first roll. They covered EVERYTHING - including my boots, riding pants, riding jacket, helmet, even the camera that only got a scuff mark on the side of my helmet -- all without batting an eye. The hardest part for me was coming up with model numbers for the gear that was damaged so they could price out the exact replacement.

We went over my quad in my garage (as I do all my own quad work) and I had a check before they left. I was also told that if anything popped up that wasn't already paid for by progressive that I found during teardown/reassembly, to give them a call. Sure enough, I found a bit more damage. Again, effortless. I got paid for all parts, as well as the labor they would of paid a shop to repair my quad.

Since then, I have insured my Camper, as well as the new(er) car I just bought for my daughter and I to share till she goes off to college with Progressive as a freshman and won't need one there.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

Progressive through USAA handled my awning claim quickly and to my liking.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #12

Smile Insurance

Progressive was the cheapest /best we could find for our 5th wheel.
keywestwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #13

34 years with an RV. Been there, done that with insurance. My long standing insurance agent is an RVer as well, and he wouldn't write a policy for me because he wouldn't use his own company either (for an RV).

Foremost is the only way to go.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwppwc View Post
Thank you all! I do live in a rural area way north of Seattle and my 40 years of insurance through State Farm has always been very reasonable. But I had issues (albeit minor) getting their underwriters to insure my previous TTs and 5th wheel. Now, stepping up to a Class C and talking with my agent, it appears that it is time to actually shop around. As fate would have it, I just received an advertisement from Good Sam insurance. I realize insurance is more than premium, but in actual service when filing a claim. I equate Good Sam with Camping World and unfortunately, I’ve had bad experiences in the past with both Camping World Sales and Service. Does anyone have claim experience with Good Sam or Progressive full coverage support?
We have a 2008 F450 (purchased in 2007) that Allstate would NOT cover because it is classified as an entry level semi although we ordered it as a truck & not as a work truck. Our poor agent argued and argued with the underwriters. We finally went with Good Sam (National General) since 2007. Good Sam would only insure the truck with the 5ver so we transferred the 5ver.

As far as claims...they really have been decent. Our previous 5ver was broken into 3 times and they covered the damages/stolen items each time. Because we were on a Scouting activity and the Scout trailer came off the hitch, it was reported to the police. We paid for the damage to our truck out of our pocket but they hit us with "points" - at fault accident. We went off the road with the truck & trailer and once we noticed the damage, called and reported it to them - no problems getting the truck/trailer repaired. We had extensive hail damage to the unit in late 2019. Overall, they have been great to work with.

Oh, we switched from Allstate to USAA for other vehicles/house but they wouldn't insure the F450. Oh well.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #15

I had State Farm for my trailer and it was about $100 per year, but that was for recreational use. I wanted full timer RV insurance and State Farm didn't have it, so I tried Foremost. After the first year, I checked around and Progressive beat the Foremost price.

Full coverage includes coverage for trailer damage, liability, contents of the trailer, and I was able to add on the contents of my storage unit. All for $400 per year. Never had to use it.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #16

We have State Farm and when we had our DP our agent hinted they were better for towable rv than a motor home (less experience, cost etc). We went with Progressive which had much better coverage and about 30 to 40 percent cheaper ( also 0$ deductible on the windshield with Progressive).
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #17

My last 3 trailers have been with Progressive. They have had the best rate for the coverage.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #18

We have a 2016 Greyhawk 31FS and pay $600 a year through progressive.
mcjurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #19

We have AAA auto and house. We can add AAA Plus for only when we use the the trailer, generally May through November. Rate is reasonable, but it's good only for me, no discount for my wife. Guess if anything happens, AAA will find me behind the wheel.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #20

If your buying new, and have a loan, make sure you take out the gap insurance or have full replacement value on your contract. Otherwise you will be getting paid for what the RV is worth at time of the adjustment. And it won’t be enough to pay off the loan or go out and replace what you had!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote