Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2022, 10:19 AM   #21

Progressive has been great for us. Good price, adjuster was polite, informed, and a gem to work with. Claim paid fast with no hassles.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Rants are not opinions.
I apologize profusely if I was perceived to be ranting. Next time I'll speak more softly.

After experiencing good and bad insurance companies for 55 or so years, I was merely excited since my current company is sooooo great to deal with. Also, my price is the lowest I have ever had, with coverage higher than ever had.

But after reading all the other comments I have to admit that I must have been wrong. Looks like Progressive is the one to have, based on all the other good comments.

I have had them quote me in the past (I do that every year with all my policies), but they never even came close. I guess I'll have to give them another chance.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #23

We have Good Sam & have had them for 15 years. They were the only ones that would insure our F450 as long as we covered the 5ver. Overall happy with them.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:22 PM   #24
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
We have Good Sam & have had them for 15 years. They were the only ones that would insure our F450 as long as we covered the 5ver. Overall happy with them.

I had Good Sam, until the raised rates 100% with no claims. It seems that insurance companies raise rates because of all claims within an area and not necessarily your driving record.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #25
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I apologize profusely if I was perceived to be ranting. Next time I'll speak more softly.

After experiencing good and bad insurance companies for 55 or so years, I was merely excited since my current company is sooooo great to deal with. Also, my price is the lowest I have ever had, with coverage higher than ever had.

But after reading all the other comments I have to admit that I must have been wrong. Looks like Progressive is the one to have, based on all the other good comments.

I have had them quote me in the past (I do that every year with all my policies), but they never even came close. I guess I'll have to give them another chance.

Even Progressive has it's faults. My biggest problem with insurance companies is glass coverage. Broken windshields is something that no one can control. A rock into your windshield and you are required by state laws, at least in Arizona to have a clear view or you get a citation to repair the glass. So you then have to replace the badly broken windshield. That is a claim, that now goes against your claims record and in the case of Progressive and some others (not Farmers) ups your premiums. We have a lot of rocks in Arizona, it goes along with the number of cactus plants. So while Progressive is good, it is not great but beats some others.

I will add to this that I had two claims within a few weeks. One on the Jeep and the other on the Audi. The Jeep was expensive but the Audi (2022) takes some expensive work to get all of the cameras just right, about $600 just for that. So Progressive got bent out of shape about claims.

Insurance is a racket run by crooks. That is my rant for the day.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Broken windshields is something that no one can control. A rock into your windshield and you are required by state laws, at least in Arizona to have a clear view or you get a citation to repair the glass. So you then have to replace the badly broken windshield. That is a claim, that now goes against your claims record and in the case of Progressive and some others (not Farmers) ups your premiums. We have a lot of rocks in Arizona, it goes along with the number of cactus plants. So while Progressive is good, it is not great but beats some others.

In the dead of Winter when we are looking for something to do on a Sunday afternoon, we go to all the RV, auto and boat shows. Every show has a booth for windshield repair, bathtub replacements and gutter leaf covers.

The windshield guys usually accost you face to face. When I tell them that i have been driving for 60 years and have NEVER even had a chip in a windshield they accuse me of lying.

Must be where I live. Or maybe I'm just lucky. But I never remember my Dad ever replacing a windshield either.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:36 AM   #27

I have RV insurance through State Farm on our TH and have had it for 3 different RV's now. I don't care for Geico or Progressive. Their customer service is good but if you know about the repair business, their repair decisions and what they approve for your vehicle is not good. Most people won't know and would be perfectly happy with the repair results but I know the difference.

I have made claims with SF on the two RV's prior to our current one. The first had a tree limb fall on it and total it. I had to stand my ground to make sure the settlement was for what it would cost to replace with like unit instead of NADA value but I got a very fair settlement. The next trailer had the roof membrane peel back in the front and we didn't know it or know what caused it. We didn't use the trailer for over a year at that time and came back to it with a rotten roof and mushrooms growing in the carpet. SF paid almost $8k to replace the entire roof. It was just a truss roof and was replaced with a solid walkable roof.

I'm not suggesting SF over any others, just sharing my personal experiences.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:25 AM   #28
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
In the dead of Winter when we are looking for something to do on a Sunday afternoon, we go to all the RV, auto and boat shows. Every show has a booth for windshield repair, bathtub replacements and gutter leaf covers.

The windshield guys usually accost you face to face. When I tell them that i have been driving for 60 years and have NEVER even had a chip in a windshield they accuse me of lying.

Must be where I live. Or maybe I'm just lucky. But I never remember my Dad ever replacing a windshield either.

With few exceptions auto glass is made in China, much like tires, and steel. So there you go.

Jeep windshields are nearly perpendicular so any small rock does damage. The Audi had 200 miles on it when a rock put a major crack in it. That was probably German glass.
The issue now, and part of glass replacement is all of the cameras that show all of those nice pictures of where your vehicle is in a parking stall, distances to objects, lane position and correction, vehicle distancing in traffic and reading signs have to be re-calibrated when the glass is replaced. I see that some glass companies now advertise that service but previously the vehicle had to go to the dealer for that. $$$

I had vehicles in the 60 and 70s that I do not recall every having to change a windshield on. I have not had one from the 90s on that has not had a windshield replaced. It is the same with damage in accidents. Today's vehicle is made to "crush" to save injury to the occupants. So much more damage to be repaired, much more cost to do that repair.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #29

Quote:
I had Good Sam, until the raised rates 100% with no claims. It seems that insurance companies raise rates because of all claims within an area and not necessarily your driving record.
They did raise our rates when we had a "no fault" accident. Unfortunately we had to suck it up because they are the only ones that will cover the F450. But the rates went back down after 2 years.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #30

I used to have a Camry, and the windshield cracked. I took it to a Safelite shop and got an estimate for replacement covered by insurance and was told around $600.

I asked what the cash price was and was told $200. I paid cash.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #31

I have spoken to my insurance agents many times over the years. I feel very fortunate, I have had very few claims, none with a TT, and one flat bed claim due to being jackknifed in icy conditions backing up, empty trailer slide out from behind me, and bit the side of the TV.

My insurance companies have told me every time I have asked. Whenever a trailer is connected to the TV, any incident with the TT (any trailer) is covered by the TV policy not the trailer policy. Hence I can see the OP's comment, about some insurance companies what the vehicles covered too.

Now I have a few antique cars. I can get cheaper specialty insurance through others. BUT, my umbrella policy would not cover the antique vehicles if I did that. So I pay a few bucks extra every year, but my umbrella policy gives me better protection in the broader picture.

Just search and look at the big picture.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance