Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Thank you!

Just wanted to thank you all for the help! We decided to go with Progressive. Same price as State Farm, but the biggest selling point was the Replacement Coverage. That is amazing and really a no-brainer for us.

If I wouldn't have asked and received help here, we probably would have just gone with State Farm. I had no idea there was this kind of coverage out there, so thank you again!

Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

I originally had my trailer on my State farm Homeowners policy when parked or in campgrounds and on my State Farm policy for my vehicles when towed. HOWEVER, When I found out that when parked, and on my homeowners policy, If anything happened, it would be the $1200.00 deductible that is on my home owners policy. WOW, that is a lot of money if something happened.

Generators stolen..... State Farm: $1200.00 deductible....
Good Sam: $250.00 deductible. Awning gets ripped off by wind. State Farm:$1200.00 Good Sam: $250.00. Get the message? Plus, State Farm does not drop the Comprehensive when the trailer is stored for the winter. Good Sam does and that makes the insurance much cheaper.

I talked with a Good Sam agent and my deductible is $250.00 and EVERYTHING is covered. Including replacement.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled from tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

We have Good Sam because no one would cover the F450. Good Sam would only cover it IF they also covered the 5vr. You do have to be careful with Good Sam. Wife was rear ended and the other driver was charged but who ever does their "review" didn't realize that and wife had a surcharge for the accident. That was straightened out. Our previous 5vr was broken into 3 times while in the storage facility and Good Sam was very good about everything.

As far as roadside assistance - we are probably too well covered. We have AAA Premium with one tow of 200 miles at no charge. And we have Good Sam's Road Side Assistance as well as Travel Assistance. Have absolutely no complaints with AAA - as long as you tell them that you have a trailer attached (you may want to ask them to repeat what you said), they will send out a truck capable of towing both the truck & trailer (yep, been there, done that).

And something else to consider - extended warranty on the 5vr that will cover items once the unit is out of warranty. That was a saving grace.
USMC Veterans
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #14

So which warranty did you go with? We have a 2015 Pinnacle and considering the extended warranty. So many companies out there. Thanks for any help.
BlessedGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

We had auto/home and RV coverage with State Farm for 30 years. I am relating my experience with the RV only because what my agent told me is not what your agent is saying.

The RV policy from SF was in reality nothing more than a glorified auto policy for which we paid $640 a year. Essentially the only coverage we had was collision and liability when the RV was under tow, and comprehensive when towed or parked. Liability to cover an accident or injury in the parked RV? No. Personal property coverage fell under comprehensive coverage. Medical payments? No. Replacement cost? Actual cash value. Only personal property coverage afforded under homeowners' policy was for items actually brought from home to the RV and since our homeowners' policy had a flat 1% deductible, we would likely be out of pocket for a loss.

No endorsement here, but we took our auto and RV business to GEICO. Less expensive by $900 a year, and the RV policy is a hybrid auto/mini homeowners' policy that includes $10000 liability coverage when parked, $6000 personal property coverage, $1000 medical payments, roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage, and was $200 a year less than State Farm. GEICO also offers a replacement cost rider that can be purchased for additional cost if the RV is 5 years old or less.

The biggest lesson I learned from all this is 'bundled' coverage with a single company isn't necessarily the best or cheapest option. It pays to shop around.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

I had a Keystone 34RKDS with both Progressive and Good Sam (Extended Service Plan) coverage.

One of the Slide outs needed adjusting but neither would cover it. the ESP from Good Sam does NOT cover adjustments. Something has to be broken in order for it to be covered.

Traveling through the Columbia River Gorge on a particularly windy day - a 3' section of paneling blew out. Progressive sent an agent out to inspect it and declared it a manufacturer defect within a few minutes. Because the trailer was two years old - Keystone would not cover it and neither would Progressive.

That is when I traded it in for the much smaller and easier to maintain 212QBW
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

Insurance

Ive been with State-Farm for 30 yrs. 15 with RV Policy. best price and yes your coverage does carry over from your Tow Veh, also your Comp and theft carry over from your Homeowners, but it does cover everything those other rv insurance companies offer and I'm paying around 125.00 less then any ive found
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedGirlie View Post
So which warranty did you go with? We have a 2015 Pinnacle and considering the extended warranty. So many companies out there. Thanks for any help.
U.S. Plus Warranty - where we store our unit they also do repair work & we prefer their warranty.
USMC Veterans
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErraticAKn View Post
I had a Keystone 34RKDS with both Progressive and Good Sam (Extended Service Plan) coverage.

One of the Slide outs needed adjusting but neither would cover it. the ESP from Good Sam does NOT cover adjustments. Something has to be broken in order for it to be covered.

Traveling through the Columbia River Gorge on a particularly windy day - a 3' section of paneling blew out. Progressive sent an agent out to inspect it and declared it a manufacturer defect within a few minutes. Because the trailer was two years old - Keystone would not cover it and neither would Progressive.

That is when I traded it in for the much smaller and easier to maintain 212QBW
Interesting, I had never heard of the "We won't cover it because it is a manufacturing defect" clause. I could easily see that being stretched by the insurance company(s) to mean "we won't cover anything". For example, on a car, if a tire has blowout and you lose control of the car...Manufacturing Defect, so sorry!!!

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote