Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2022, 09:58 AM   #1

Jayco Countertop

Sorry if this has been discussed.
We have a 2019 Jayco 248 RBS Rocky Mtn.

The kitchen countertop is bubbling up and you can actually lift it up. I called the dealer, they said no warranty and said they wouldn't go to bat for me with Jayco. Said to call Jayco and "good luck". We haven't used the trailer that much so this is super disappointing. We also had kitchen sink water leaks and a bathroom drain pipe broken right when we bought it brand new.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
2Grands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #2

Welcome Aboard!

It is a 2019 model, but is it just out of it's 2 year warranty or is it way out of warranty? What counter top style do you have?

Bad thing is, Jayco probably will not do anything about it, even if it is just a few months out of warranty. Have you tried contacting Jayco yet? My experience be very nice, you get a lot farther with their customer service reps. If using the online contact, make sure to add photos.

Having leaks and broken items and other defects when new, is normal with all manufactures.

Good Luck, replacing a counter is not difficult.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Grands View Post

The kitchen countertop is bubbling up and you can actually lift it up. I called the dealer, they said no warranty and said they wouldn't go to bat for me with Jayco. Said to call Jayco and "good luck". We haven't used the trailer that much so this is super disappointing. We also had kitchen sink water leaks and a bathroom drain pipe broken right when we bought it brand new.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
By bubbling do you mean it's the adhesive is letting go? If that's the case, you'll need to take the entire sheet up. You'll need a heat gun and two people. One to apply the heat ( being careful not to burn the formica or whatever brand it is) and another to carefully lift ( if it's lifted before the adhesive softens it'll break) up on the piece as the heat softens the adhesive. Don't worry about the old contact cement, if that's what they used, just remove any pieces of wood,debris stuck to the underside of the piece. Brush contact cement onto the counter and the piece you've removed. Wait until it's dry to the touch, then starting at one edge and making sure the piece is perfectly square, start laying it back in pressing it out as you go. As the underside contacts the counter it's there, so there's no pulling it up if it's not aligned. In the original install they routed off the edges, but you don't have that luxury.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

I tried to get Jayco to provide the countertop peel and stick (my expense) for my 2020 unit and they could not. I tried to order what I thought was equal to the countertop material and could not find the exact pattern. I feel that Jayco should provide this for at least 5 years. They said the entire countertop was not even available. They couldn't even provide the supplier of the countertop material.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #5

In a previous camper I owned I had a friend who is a contractor cut me a new plywood countertop and then he covered it with some form of a laminate. As you can probably tell, I have zero ability to work with wood. I can do plumbing and electrical or work with metal but wood not so much.

He said the original countertop was never going to last. The one he built for me lasted 10 years and was still solid on the day we sold the RV...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:23 AM   #6

2Grands,
Onyrlef's explanation was spot on! But (if there is an adequate amount of contact cement still on the particle board and laminate) there is a simpler, one person solution. Use a cloths iron set on "high" on top of a dish towel. Pass the iron over the bubbled spots very slowly, working from the center of each bubble outward. That will soften the contact cement. Once the laminate is very hot, you can use a laminate roller (or a rolling pin or wine bottle on top of a dish towel) to roll out the bubbles - again, working from the center of the bubble - outward. That may work to "restick" the bubbles. Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2022, 05:40 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
2Grands,
Onyrlef's explanation was spot on! But (if there is an adequate amount of contact cement still on the particle board and laminate) there is a simpler, one person solution. Use a cloths iron set on "high" on top of a dish towel. Pass the iron over the bubbled spots very slowly, working from the center of each bubble outward. That will soften the contact cement. Once the laminate is very hot, you can use a laminate roller (or a rolling pin or wine bottle on top of a dish towel) to roll out the bubbles - again, working from the center of the bubble - outward. That may work to "restick" the bubbles. Hope this helps!
X2- I'd defintely try this first.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #8

I spoke to the dealer who sold us the unit brand new. They said they are a "middle man" and the issue is not their problem. Told me to call Jayco. I reached out to Jayco and was told they "will not participate with any repairs". Offered to send photos to the countertop manufacturer and they might give some consideration.
Basically, about $25K for a brand new trailer now 3 years old and no consideration for an admitted manufacturer defect. Do you expect to change out your counter top at 3 years? Obviously not. No assistance or discount with parts offered even though the dealer acknowledged some Jayco's having the same issue. Pretty crappy customer support. I get that things happen; I'm not unreasonable. I'm disappointed with the don't care about our product attitude.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:45 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I spoke to the dealer who sold us the unit brand new. They said they are a "middle man" and the issue is not their problem. Told me to call Jayco. I reached out to Jayco and was told they "will not participate with any repairs". Offered to send photos to the countertop manufacturer and they might give some consideration.
Basically, about $25K for a brand new trailer now 3 years old and no consideration for an admitted manufacturer defect. Do you expect to change out your counter top at 3 years? Obviously not. No assistance or discount with parts offered even though the dealer acknowledged some Jayco's having the same issue. Pretty crappy customer support. I get that things happen; I'm not unreasonable. I'm disappointed with the don't care about our product attitude.
You may want to give Brownie's idea a shot. I'm betting it will work.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #10

Update 9/27/22

Called dealer where we bought the trailer and they said not their issue; go directly to Jayco.

I reached out to Jayco in regards to my countertop coming apart in our 3 year old trailer. Dealer told me there is a manufacturer defect affecting some Jayco countertops. (I'm not unreasonable, stuff happens to all of us.)

Spoke to dealer again about possible solution/repairs/what to do. Dealer told me no help, no parts, no warranty, no suggestions, too bad. This dealer rep called Jayco on my behalf.

Jayco TELLS THE DEALERSHIP no help, no parts, no warranty, too bad. Rep from dealership calls and tells me this information. Said reach back out to Jayco for anything further regarding the countertop.

Jayco then emails me stating parts are actually available but will not give even a ballpark price. Stated they only sell to dealers - the dealer they told no parts available! Same dealer that told me to work directly with Jayco!

Recapped everything to Jayco and waiting to see if there is any advice. Jayco did send photos to Robert Weed Corporation (who made the countertop with the issue) who declined to participate in their defect too.

I then get an email from Jayco wanting me to purchase a brand new trailer. What a slap in the face.

Jayco is owned by Thor Industries. Thor Industries have numerous RV companies. This company has no suggestions, solutions, or advice on what to do to repair my RV with a manufacturer defect. Nothing! Think about that if you need a repair to your RV or are considering an RV purchase.

What really bugs is I referred at least two others to this dealership and Jayco who made purchases along with parts and repairs. I'm not unreasonable; I get stuff happens. I am shocked to get bounced around and get the middle finger from Thor Industries and Jayco.

The really sad thing in all this is we love our trailer and just want to get it repaired. Simple.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #11

They won't quote a price because all they have is wholesale pricing, they don't know what kind of mark-up the dealer will add. Now that you know it's available why won't the dealer give you a price and order it?
Old 09-27-2022, 04:50 PM   #12

This is the game I'm caught in.
The dealer has no information on parts and was told by Jayco the countertop is not available. Same thing they told me on 9/20/22.
Then Jayco emailed me and said parts are available.
Our dealership also instructed me to work with Jayco directly.

This thing has turned into a mess. Bottom line is obviously my money, patronage, and referrals don't matter to anyone.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:56 PM   #13

And for those of you with suggestions, thank you.
There isn't enough adhesive to use the towel and iron trick.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:

The kitchen countertop is bubbling up and you can actually lift it up. ...
I have a 2019 24RBS. The kitchen countertop is solid but the bathroom countertop is laminated particle board. On earlier models of the same camper, Jayco used laminated particle board on the kitchen counter too. I don't know when they made the switch. I've had de-lamination on the bathroom countertop but I caught it just when it started. I put silicone caulk along the edges to keep water out of the particle board. So far, so good, but I don't know how long this will work. In my case, the culprit was the bar of soap left on the countertop. I got a soap dish to catch water drips from the soap bar.

I've had no issue with the kitchen countertop but I've read other posts from folks who have the older laminate.

If damage is small you might try lifting the edge like I did and inject a bit of epoxy, then clamp it down. If damage is too extensive, I don't have a fix to recommend for you other than replacing the countertop.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #15

Well, you can just hang your hat and join the two clubs most of us here belong too;

#1 - The Jayco Sour Lemon Club

#2 - The I am the Warranty Club.

Good Luck
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #16

Quote:
If it's like ours, the laminate is actually a sheet of heavy vinyl or some other, rather than rigid formica.
Was this a spontaneous bubble? Did it fail somewhere on the flat, or beginning at the undermounted sink edge? The latter situation started to happen with our '21 Jayflight due to water getting past the caulking. As soon as I noticed it, I cleaned off whatever caulking I could and ran a new bead of silicone while simultaneously pressing down the bubbles, and that seemed to do the trick (we've since traded it.)

If it originated on the flat of the counter itself, is it possible that a hot pan or other object sat on it without insulation?

Unless this originated spontaneously (a true manufacturing defect,) I believe this may be on you, as you're responsible for guarding against water intrusions.

If you try the warm iron remedy, you may have to first either create a tiny slit or a pinhole to release trapped air, which will otherwise have nowhere to go except laterally, thus making the problem bigger.

[Edit: if truly an "admitted manufacturing defect" acknowledged by Jayco and/or the counter fabricator, shame on them for not making good on their product. Good luck to you.]
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco countertop