Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekunigon View Post
We have a brand new Jayco Alante 31V. The shade for the windshield only comes down about 2/3 of the way and stops. Any thoughts?
I recommend that you start a new thread in the Class A section of the forum asking this question. You are probably not going to get any help with your question in this thread.

Midnightmoon

Site-Team
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #22

Probably a limit switch issue. That was one of my problems. Have it repaired under warranty in case it happens again.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #23

While the Bontrager may still be running it, they still have to report Thor Corp. Thor will not put up with skimpy bottom lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not defending the issues, but most is due to the high demand and the lack of getting skilled employees.

The Bontrager Family is still running the company.

April 2019..

Jayco has announced that Derald Bontrager, president and CEO of Jayco and its divisions, will be stepping back into managing the day-to-day operations with the departure of Matt Thompson from his position as the company’s chief operating officer.

Send him a letter.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #24

Did you notice any discoloring in the floor. It looks like glue bleeding up through the floor. It looks like yellow stains.
I passed on a new one that had this problem and bought another at a different dealer in a different state. After a month or so I noticed the yellow stains in the new one.
I wrote to them but no answer

Jim
2020 Entegra 24B
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #25

Re the shade not going to a full down position
On the left off the Winsted the is a wire/button that hang down on my alante 29s. In the RV there was a manual that came with the coach. MCD was the manufacture. O. Page 8 there is a discussion home to use the button to set the auto stops.

You hold the shade button and the wire button down at the same time. It beeps, release learning button move the shade to its lower stop position. This is simplied description (more step) but betting the manual is available online. Let me know if you csnt find it and I can scan or give you contact info.
windfall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfall96 View Post
Re the shade not going to a full down position
On the left off the Winsted the is a wire/button that hang down on my alante 29s. In the RV there was a manual that came with the coach. MCD was the manufacture. O. Page 8 there is a discussion home to use the button to set the auto stops. You hold the shade button and the wire button down at the same time. It beeps, release learning button move the shade to its lower stop position. This is simplied description (more step) but betting the manual is available online. Let me know if you csnt find it and I can scan or give you contact info.
I think this is the manual you are referring to?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MCD Shade Manual.pdf (4.35 MB, 4 views)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Maybe they should consider upping the hour wage they pay?
That is part of the problem. Everyone wants to make more money but not take Pride in what they make. I have seen this in all companies nowadays. When I worked on the line we took pride in what we made, now every company wants to make money and not quality products anymore. That is the mind set on the generation that is out there at the present.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #28

It would have been nice if WE had a true PDI. They hurried through the process, and we really did not get much time to go over things properly. On top of that, the "Service Manager" connected the trailer to my truck is such a way that it pinched the 7 pin cable to the point where we had no brakes, and lost all tail lights! So, getting it home was no fun. 9000 lbs of trailer pushing my Titan whenever I stopped. It bent the Equilizer hitch badly. I had to replace it. And, yes we have had it back to the dealer now for over 2 weeks to get some items fixed that Jayco quality control or the dealer should have checked/fixed. So much for quality.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #29

Manual Looks similar, not exact but adjustment process appears to be the same. Mine were adjusted fine. Including the lowest allowed position with engine running. Mine has a "sun visor setting" that stops the shade about 2 ft down when running the toggle switch and engine running.

I bought my rv on 3/12. My excitement with the lockdown, was bringing it to the house from storage and learning. I noticed the wire week one, wondered what it was but took 3 weeks to determine the purpose. I thought it was an led. As I said didnt need to adjust mine but as I read the manual, was thinking a longer wire was better. Perhaps some tucked up by the shade but not broken, taint needed at the moment.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #30
Say

And yet we keep buying them again and again and again...
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #31

They just plain don’t care

Rv manufacturing is done in teams who compete against each other as to the speed of completion. The faster they finish a unit the more bonuses they get.
The name of the game is : Let the warranty dept. deal with the customer later.
, deliver the unit as fast as possible. Quality is not a criteria.
If you check under closed spaces, ie : under slides, under bed, behind counter, under seats you will find screws, pieces of wood and metal everywhere.
Vacuuming and cleaning after completion is not required or recommended.
A friend had a piece of black water tank cutout stuck in the valve because they dropped the cutout inside the tank when installing the toilet. And the list goes on.
They are vultures and crooks without regards or respect for the consumer.
Their lawyers are a million times better than any government agency.
Don’t expect anything from manufacturers except problems And excuses.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #32
Say

How do you really feel? ��
Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
That is part of the problem. Everyone wants to make more money but not take Pride in what they make. I have seen this in all companies nowadays. When I worked on the line we took pride in what we made, now every company wants to make money and not quality products anymore. That is the mind set on the generation that is out there at the present.
One of my favorite quotes

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

-- Socrates

Kids today.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #34
Say

Great quote TaftCoach!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #35

I would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks extra to pay a couple of guys to do a quality PDI at the factory. They probably wouldn't catch everything but if it was 95% that would sure help the consumer's frustration when they purchase their unit.

It would help with the backlog at the dealer who has to repair everything that was done wrong at the factory.

The bottom line is, they don't care about quality no matter what their websites or literature says. It's all a smoke screen and we are the victims. A lot of us can repair or fix some of the issues. For those who can't, they are at the mercy of the dealer.

They are not blind to what the consumer's complaint are. Like many have said here, the bottom line is profit.

It baffles me how they think that having to pay a dealer to fix all these issues is cheaper than doing it at the factory. I'm sure the dealer charges an hourly rate higher than the factory workers receive.

It's an industry that can't/won't respond to it's buyers complaints. It's full speed ahead no matter what.

If you can afford a high end RV you will benefit, but that's probably only 10% of consumers.

Off my soapbox.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #36

You can't build quality in at the end by inspection. Its a loss leader.

You build it in by process and training and by random inspections to ensure the process and training is working. A good design helps which I think most manufactures have. But end product, and process, creates a better design..

I could go on about college focus, but we need all aspects.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceguy85 View Post
It would have been nice if WE had a true PDI. They hurried through the process, and we really did not get much time to go over things properly. On top of that, the "Service Manager" connected the trailer to my truck is such a way that it pinched the 7 pin cable to the point where we had no brakes, and lost all tail lights! So, getting it home was no fun. 9000 lbs of trailer pushing my Titan whenever I stopped. It bent the Equilizer hitch badly. I had to replace it. And, yes we have had it back to the dealer now for over 2 weeks to get some items fixed that Jayco quality control or the dealer should have checked/fixed. So much for quality.
Yet you signed and accepted delivery. I walked twice before they got it right on the third attempt.

The customer is in control, not the dealer.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #38

We bought our first RV in November 2019. A 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 30Z. I had it in the shop twice in the first 3 months with backup camera and radio problems. I discovered the same problem you describe with the shower. There was no sealant between the shower track and the wall piece. Unless your PDI includes taking a shower, you don't find things like that until you use it. Although it wasn't Jayco's fault, the refrigerator door fell off on our first trip due to a broken hinge. We haven't been able to travel with it since February, but it has been plugged in at home since then and everything seems to be working OK now. We are going away for 30 days with it this week.
JackB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #39

2 words

No doubt!!!!!!
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #40

I have been relatively lucky with the Greyhawk I owned. There was the usual little things that I easily fixed, but I sold it because I didn't feel like chasing the big problems I knew would be coming. I could see the springs in the day night shades we're starting to lose their strength, and if you left a shade down, it didn't want to return all the way up. Soon enough, they would need replacing. Another issue I didn't want to deal with is slide rollers loosening up(no Loctite on the nuts) and the slides then need removed. Another big issue is the absolute junk upholstery in the whole coach. It just falls apart no matter if you have it covered or not. This includes the driver and passenger seat. One of our members put 50,000 miles on the same year as mine and had all these problems. I slept a month straight on the queen mattress in the back, and a divot developed in it that would swallow half my body. It's just junk. Then there's that shower pan, thin as a potato chip, and no more strong, that some folk have already put their foot through. Even though I added additional support underneath, it did not give me any more confidence. I know all about the bottom line etc, but I really think they need to up the price, and at a minimum, supply decent materials that are actually functional for the life of the rig. They used to do that. I had a 96 Jayco that was much better. I don't know if I'll get back into RV'ing or not, but if I do I'll spend to get the quality I need. On a more cheerful note; the Ford chassis was fabulous. No issues there at all.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote