Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Jayco Service Bulletin 19-042

I jJust received a letter from Jayco yesterday that there is a new Service Bulletin #19-042 out on Jayco Alantes, Precepts, Precept Prestiges, Vision and Emblem motorhomes; years 2014 through 2020.

It says that, if you have a yellow mesh cover and/or a blue plastic cover on your engine air cleaner housing to remove them. The letter did not give an technical explanation as to why or how these items affected the engine's operation.

This does not make me happy since my Precept is a 2017 so I have been driving it for over two years with the yellow mesh covering on the air cleaner housing intake and I am concerned as to what effects it might have had on my engine. I do not remember if I saw the blue plastic cover on my engine but plan to get over tomorrow to check for it.

Has anyone else out there with any of these Jayco models received this letter and know more details on the need for this change? Hopefully these items did not cause any engine over-heating or other effects.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

The yellow mesh screen was put on the air intake by Ford so birds or squirrels would not build nests in the intake while the chassis sat on Jayco's lot waiting to be built. Jayco was supposed to take off the screens, but apparently quite a few were missed. We had ours for 2 years and put over 40,000 miles on before we found out they should be removed. I haven't noticed any problems with the mesh being on there. Everything seems to be the same after removal. I did not have the blue plastic cover on ours.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Yellow Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
The yellow mesh screen was put on the air intake by Ford so birds or squirrels would not build nests in the intake while the chassis sat on Jayco's lot waiting to be built. Jayco was supposed to take off the screens, but apparently quite a few were missed. We had ours for 2 years and put over 40,000 miles on before we found out they should be removed. I haven't noticed any problems with the mesh being on there. Everything seems to be the same after removal. I did not have the blue plastic cover on ours.
What a major oversite by Jayco. I suspect this will bring a lot of complaints.

My engine seems to be running OK too but ne would think that the mesh must have reduced the airflow into the engine. I am not sure what effects reduced air flow below specs might have on engine cylinder combustion chambers. The least I think it could have caused was reduced efficiency and perhaps hotter running. We might see a little better gas mileage if there were not other effects like over heating of the valves and piston rings. Hopefully the air cleaner design had a lot of flow margin so the amount of air getting in was adequate despite the partial blockage from the mesh.

I guess I'll keep the mesh and keep it installed during storage since squirrels and mice have been a problem during storage. I'll just have to remember to remove it before I take the rig back on the road.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I jJust received a letter from Jayco yesterday that there is a new Service Bulletin #19-042 out on Jayco Alantes, Precepts, Precept Prestiges, Vision and Emblem motorhomes; years 2014 through 2020.

It says that, if you have a yellow mesh cover and/or a blue plastic cover on your engine air cleaner housing to remove them. The letter did not give an technical explanation as to why or how these items affected the engine's operation.

This does not make me happy since my Precept is a 2017 so I have been driving it for over two years with the yellow mesh covering on the air cleaner housing intake and I am concerned as to what effects it might have had on my engine. I do not remember if I saw the blue plastic cover on my engine but plan to get over tomorrow to check for it.

Has anyone else out there with any of these Jayco models received this letter and know more details on the need for this change? Hopefully these items did not cause any engine over-heating or other effects.
It appears to be simply a recommendation to remove it. If it was a safety hazard, or a serious concern with damaging the engine, they'd probably require that you bring it in to ensure it was removed.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post
It appears to be simply a recommendation to remove it.
X-2 It is a TSB not a recall.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
It appears to be simply a recommendation to remove it. If it was a safety hazard, or a serious concern with damaging the engine, they'd probably require that you bring it in to ensure it was removed.
I can see that your faith in the RV manufactures is somewhat more than mine. I doubt any of them would be anxious to pay for any corrective action if the damage or deterioration of the engines was not so bad and wide-spread as to force them to act.

Also, my letter didn't just suggest I remove these blockages (if I wanted to). It clearly stated to remove and discard them.

That said, I examined my yellow mesh cover and I estimate that the effective air flow blockage from the webbings was probably no more than about 50%. Hopefully the air cleaner intake area was designed with a margin of error large enough to compensate for the blockage.

Also, my air cleaner did not have the blue cap so that probably helped provide enough flow if it goes into the same chamber.

I don't know what happens to a combustion chamber if it's starved of air. I think the air inflow contributes to cooling of the internal passages so the internal engine parts could have run somewhat hotter. I have noticed that my oil seems to turn dark fairly frequently after servicing. I'll be anxious to see if my mileage and oil darkening improves any with the mesh now removed.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
I can see that your faith in the RV manufactures is somewhat more than mine. I doubt any of them would be anxious to pay for any corrective action if the damage or deterioration of the engines was not so bad and wide-spread as to force them to act.

Also, my letter didn't just suggest I remove these blockages (if I wanted to). It clearly stated to remove and discard them.

That said, I examined my yellow mesh cover and I estimate that the effective air flow blockage from the webbings was probably no more than about 50%. Hopefully the air cleaner intake area was designed with a margin of error large enough to compensate for the blockage.

Also, my air cleaner did not have the blue cap so that probably helped provide enough flow if it goes into the same chamber.

I don't know what happens to a combustion chamber if it's starved of air. I think the air inflow contributes to cooling of the internal passages so the internal engine parts could have run somewhat hotter. I have noticed that my oil seems to turn dark fairly frequently after servicing. I'll be anxious to see if my mileage and oil darkening improves any with the mesh now removed.
Well, manufacturer's warranty would require them to repair it if the failure occured during the warranty period. If the engine is FORD'S then they would probably be required to replace or repair the engine, and I KNOW they would require you to bring it in for them to remove it if that was the issue.

Mileage and engine performance certainly may improve, as well as horsepower, if the engine gets more air. But the cooling of the engine is from the cooling system and not the air intake.

I'll say this again, since it was not a recall but an owner notification that does not require the dealer or Ford to handle the removal, it's simply something that may improve engine performance.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #8

Service Bulletin

Quote:
Well, manufacturer's warranty would require them to repair it if the failure occured during the warranty period. If the engine is FORD'S then they would probably be required to replace or repair the engine, and I KNOW they would require you to bring it in for them to remove it if that was the issue.

Mileage and engine performance certainly may improve, as well as horsepower, if the engine gets more air. But the cooling of the engine is from the cooling system and not the air intake.

I'll say this again, since it was not a recall but an owner notification that does not require the dealer or Ford to handle the removal, it's simply something that may improve engine performance.
I agree with what you say but unfortunately, if their is any subtle engine damage or deterioration, it would probably not be detectible while the warranty is in effect. And, it's true that the engine cooling system certainly is supposed to keep all the parts cool enough. I guess time and mileage will tell the tail. I just hope Jayco doesn't sluff this oversight off since their more technically conscientious customers might be as disappointed as I am.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
I agree with what you say but unfortunately, if their is any subtle engine damage or deterioration, it would probably not be detectible while the warranty is in effect. And, it's true that the engine cooling system certainly is supposed to keep all the parts cool enough. I guess time and mileage will tell the tail. I just hope Jayco doesn't sluff this oversight off since their more technically conscientious customers might be as disappointed as I am.
You are right, a slow deterioration would likely not affect them. Hopefully that won't be the case. Being a new Jayco customer I'm trying hard to have faith in them...though not too much.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Jayco Quality

Quote:
You are right, a slow deterioration would likely not affect them. Hopefully that won't be the case. Being a new Jayco customer I'm trying hard to have faith in them...though not too much.
Jayco has a reputation for producing quality RV's for many years. I've had a number of RVs but I am a first time Jayco buyer also. So far, keeping in mind they incorporate many of the same appliances as other RV manufacturers, I am mostly happy with my Precept and am hoping this issue does not change that.