Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Angry Jayco warranty/maintenance issues

During my camping trips over the summer I ask every Jayco owner and Jayco dealers what they thought about the Jayco maintenance/warranty program. Most owners and surprisingly most dealers said that it takes to long to get TT and 5ers in for service. Most stated that when they had to take the TT in it was usually 3-4 weeks before they got it back. Most dealers said that getting the parts in quickly was a problem. This keeps the Jayco owner from enjoying their TT or 5er for one month of camping season, if not longer. Most dealers and owners told me that most warranty/maintenance was not safety related but it still stayed at the dealers for 3-4 weeks at best. I know when I took my TT in for a broken ladder in early March, I was not returned to me until late April (6 weeks). The ladder was not a safety issue and I could have used the TT during March and April and when the ladder was received by the dealer I could have been called and scheduled a time to bring the TT in. Most dealers do not have enough bays to handle the work, so therein lies the backlog. Yesterday I went by the dealer to ask about a sticking entry door. Dealer said I should bring it in on Tuesday and they would look at it. If it needed a new door it would be 6-8 weeks before they could get to it. Which brings up another question who is responsible for winterizing. Probably will not get cold until December here. Again not a safety issue and, in Texas, October, November and early December is prime time for camping. In my opinion Jayco needs to address this issue and come up with a better solution. My dealer says that he has way to many units on the lot for maintenance and with only 4 bays he stays backlogged. Most units could have the maintenance scheduled and only be in the shop for a week at most. Jayco is a leader in the industry and if they change the way maintenance is scheduled then the rest of the industry will follow suit. Sorry for the long rant but all of us paid good money to use our units for camping, not to see it setting at the dealers

LesBevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #2

I have to agree with you. It really shouldn't take that long to get parts for their units. They're based here in the states. It's not like they have to order parts from Germany or something. I tend to believe Jayco has replacement parts in stock for their units and to ship them shouldn't take that long. Could it be Jayco doesn't have the manpower to keep up with the demand? I seriously doubt it. They're a big corporation and should take customer satisfaction seriously. There are too many RV manufacturers in this country to choose from for a unit. Surveys may help but I doubt it. Without consumers, you have nothing. You can have the best units in the country. But without customer satisfaction, that doesn't matter.

Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

As with the majority of RV manuf, JAYCO does not "stock" parts. They arrive just about the time they start production of that particular unit. Even their service center orders parts weeks ahead of a unit's scheduled arrival so they can start on it as soon as it arrives. There is no "going to a shelf" to get the part.

A lot of the hold up is also with suppliers such as LIPPERT they barely keep up with demand as well.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

Then that's a shame.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Yes they use the "just in time" approach to many components in manufacturing. My trailer was made 9/30/09 and the water heater has a manuf date of 9/09 and other components not long before that. This shows they do not keep these things around in bulk as one may suspect. Some warranty items are likely drop shipped from the manufacturer and not Jayco, but I`m just guessing on that.
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

I agree it should definitely not take that long. That being said, to the OP, you don't need to leave your trailer at the dealer while they are waiting on the parts to arrive. Have them assess whether you need a new door. If so, they will order, and you will drive the TT home. Then take it back in when the door comes in. Simple.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #7

Then I consider that poor customer service. There are certain things that should be stocked...vendor or not. Attwood, Lippert..doesn't matter. It's just poor management of business. This isn't Johnny's RV Company..this is Jayco. One of the largest retailers of recreational vehicles in the country. Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. All the more reason more and more consumers are doing their own repairs with parts they can find locally. I had Coleman tell me they couldn't get the tent pole for my pop-up and that it would take 3-4 weeks. Yet my dealer ordered one and got it in 4 days. Pitiful.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBevil View Post
..snip..smip..Jayco is a leader in the industry and if they change the way maintenance is scheduled then the rest of the industry will follow suit.
Jayco is at the bottom of the totem pole as far as size.
#1 is Thor- which makes Fleetwood, Keystone and a whole list of other brands.

#2 is Forest River which also makes a load of other brands, owned by Warren Buffet.

#3 is Jayco which is privately owned.

The rest are left in the dust!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Jayco is at the bottom of the totem pole as far as size.
#1 is Thor- which makes Fleetwood, Keystone and a whole list of other brands.

#2 is Forest River which also makes a load of other brands, owned by Warren Buffet.

#3 is Jayco which is privately owned.

The rest are left in the dust!

Forest River - A Berkshire Hathaway Company.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Forest River - A Berkshire Hathaway Company.
Which is Warren Buffet.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote