Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Max Size I should consider for new Jayco Travel Trailer?

Hello Jayco Owners!!
I was wondering your thoughts on "max size" for our first travel trailer. I am concerned that if I go up to a 28 or 29 model (one that would be 31+ ft overall) that we will be maxed out size wise on many campgrounds. We are in California and plan to camp at many of the State Parks and beaches. We don't intend for our travels to be focused on RV parks. What are your thoughts?

The problem I'm running into when looking at the various bunkhouse models is that for the things that I really want it is pushing me up to these sizes. I really want (1) a second entry door direct to the bathroom, (2) enough storage (3) Outdoor kitchen. There were some smaller models that I'd be totally fine giving up a sofa and just having the dining booth, but they don't have the 3 above items.

I started with the WhiteHawk 24MBH as my first choice, but the storage looks slim to none. It has my other two wishes. Then I have to go all the way up to the 28BHKS to get my 3 wishes.

In the Jayco Jay Flight, my 3 wishes don't seem to exist until the 29BHDS, which ends up being around 34 feet total!

We are currently looking mostly at the Jayco White Hawk and Jayco Jay Flight.

Thanks for your thoughts-
Erica
ebell619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

I would go to the online reservation system for the parks you think you will stay in and attempt to make reservations for the trailer length your interested in and see what's available.

ProTip: Buy your third, fourth, or fifth trailer the first time.

I would purchase a JayFlight over a Whitehawk if you have the tow capacity to pull it.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your advice!! Why are you suggesting Jay Flight over White Hawk? We will be towing with a Toyota Tundra and I believe with the 10,000lb rating we could tow either one.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #4

My personal opinion is the JayFlight is a better built trailer. The Whitehawk is built to keep the weight down and has lots of nice features but side by side it's not as solid as the JayFlight line.

Don't guess at your towing capacity. Look at the door sticker on your truck and make sure you know your numbers. Do the math yourself. Don't let the dealer do it for you. Make reasonable estimates of what your going to bring with you and your loaded weights and you will be fine if you stay within the capacity of your truck.

Two of our neighbors have the 29BHDS. It's a nice floorplan for families. I don't prefer the bathroom door on the driver side of the trailer but that's just me. One family tows with a Tundra and does fine with it.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

I personally wouldn't go over any bigger than 26' with the tundra. You get into the 28-29' with slides and you'll be over your payload plus I think anything over a 26' is 3/4 ton territory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

Tow vehicle PAYLOAD is the key number you should be looking at for the Tundra.
It can safely pull 10,000 lbs... But how much weight can it hold? That's the trucks payload.

My 287bhsw tongue weight loaded is around 750lbs-850lbs.
The trailer tongue weight counts as payload on your truck.
In most vehicles your own weight, passengers, luggage, anything you have inside of the cab and in the bed is considered payload.

I agree the jayflight line is solid choice for a well built family trailer.
The "lightweight" lines are built with the weight of the trailer being the driving factor of the materials and methods of construction used.

Plenty of people pull similar trailers to mine, with similar weights with similar 1/2 ton trucks as yours successfully.
You will be close to your trucks limits but it can be done.

If it were me I would forget about the outdoor kitchen (you will save a bunch of $ with the jayflight), get the other things on your list. Pull it with the tundra but consider a 3/4 ton truck sometime in the future

Good luck
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

That's great advice, thanks!! We actually don't own a Tundra, so we are still in a flexible place in regards to our tow vehicle. But my husband really likes the Tundra and we hope to not go bigger than this truck class so we will likely want to purchase it and a towable trailer that safely fits the Tundra's capacity. And thanks for the outdoor kitchen advice. I was questioning how much we needed it too
Old 09-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

When we started looking for our first trailer this spring the wife and I were pretty sure we wanted 26-28 bunk house models with an outdoor kitchen. After spending countless weekends looking at every major manufacturers trailers in person , we wound up with a 24MBH. We liked the open floorplan with the fold up master bed , the second entry into the bath is nice . Granted storage space is a little less than the others we considered but you find ways to store stuff ( plus if you can't fit it you don't need it ��)
Old 09-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Hi tjcj!

Actually the 24MBH was my very top choice trailer for a long time--until I really went through and became concerned about storage. So....now that you own it are you okay with the amount of space for clothing, etc. Like, for example, where in the rig are you putting your clothes? It didn't look like much of anything could go in the bedroom area where the Murphy bed was. I'd love your thoughts on how you laid out your belongings in there...that would give me a better picture of how it plays out in real life. I really really love the 24MBH....except for that darn storage!! lol
-Erica
Old 09-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #11

ebell619.
We use the trailer for weekend camping so our layout may be different than your use.
Wife's clothes goes in the closet to the right of the bed and mine to the left ( we don't hang alot of clothesl so they just kind of get stacked in there). Pots and pans that aren't used alot are stored in a tote under one of the dinette benches. Coffee pot and other misc kitchen stuff goes in the other tote under the other dinette bench. Plates, bowl and cups above the sink. Spices and other misc stuff are in the little cabinet next to the microwave ( I added another shelf in there ). Pantry has alot of room we store extra towels in the bottom of the pantry. Kids clothing and toys go in a tote on there bunks ( there is also storage under the bottom bunk ). Outside storage is all our leveling supplies are in the front passenger side , sewer hose , lantern , shovel , axe and alot of other misc stuff goes in front driver compartment. In the slide compartment is the camp chairs , outdoor carpet for the entry / cooking area and some other things. Any extra cooking supplies goes in the exterior kitchen area.
Generator, camp table, 3 burner stove , extra water and other odd items go in the bed of the truck.
Honestly we were worried about storage at first but once we found the right place for things they all just kinda fell into place. Hope this helps Allen.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #12

That's good you are still picking out the tow vehicle.
I think the tundra could work ok for a 7500 lb trailer. Not too much more though.

Make sure if you do get a tundra you get the 4.10 axle ratio! That will help a lot!

The new F150s have impressive payload numbers.
They have a "max payload" and "max tow" option that increases the payload number.
Make sure it has both if you go that route.
The eco boost engine is a tow monster too from what I understand.

Chevrolet 1/2 ton trucks shouldn't be considered as they don't have much payload capacity.
Not sure about Ram or Nissan.

Another thing to consider is the WDH (weight distribution hitch).
With a 1/2 ton truck you would greatly benefit by using a "Hensley Arrow" hitch.
They are not the same as the one the dealer sells.
They are at least twice as much as a regular WDH.
But they work ten times better! With a lighter truck you'll need it!

Chata (a member here) has the same trailer as me (287bhsw) and pulls it with a tundra.

Here's a post from Chata http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...t=2015+287bhsw
Old 09-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #13

I just re read the op. If you want to get in all the state campgrounds in Cali I think a 28' is out of the question.

I think most of their limits are 25'.

You should still consider a tundra with the lower axle gears if you'll be towing anything.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
ebell619.
We use the trailer for weekend camping so our layout may be different than your use.
Wife's clothes goes in the closet to the right of the bed and mine to the left ( we don't hang alot of clothesl so they just kind of get stacked in there). Pots and pans that aren't used alot are stored in a tote under one of the dinette benches. Coffee pot and other misc kitchen stuff goes in the other tote under the other dinette bench. Plates, bowl and cups above the sink. Spices and other misc stuff are in the little cabinet next to the microwave ( I added another shelf in there ). Pantry has alot of room we store extra towels in the bottom of the pantry. Kids clothing and toys go in a tote on there bunks ( there is also storage under the bottom bunk ). Outside storage is all our leveling supplies are in the front passenger side , sewer hose , lantern , shovel , axe and alot of other misc stuff goes in front driver compartment. In the slide compartment is the camp chairs , outdoor carpet for the entry / cooking area and some other things. Any extra cooking supplies goes in the exterior kitchen area.
Generator, camp table, 3 burner stove , extra water and other odd items go in the bed of the truck.
Honestly we were worried about storage at first but once we found the right place for things they all just kinda fell into place. Hope this helps Allen.
Tjcj--
This is PERFECT info for us! Thank you for taking the time to give me all of the details of where you found place for your belongings. It helps put it in perspective.
Cheers,
Erica
Old 09-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Erica,

Welcome and congrats on the future new rig!!!

As mentioned, the 1500/150 trucks are limited by the payload of the truck, not what the manufacture states the tow rating is.

There will be a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb that states "all occupants and cargo not to exceed: XXXXlbs". On any possible truck that you are considering, look for this sticker and even consider taking a picture of the truck and the payload sticker so you know what it is. As it states, all occupants in the truck, all cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories you add to the truck (step bars, tonneau cover/truck topper, etc), the wdh (weigh distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer to the weight) ALL count toward the trucks payload. Since it sounds like you may be considering a bunkhouse, is it because of the mentioned desired "options" or so you guys also have kids? Remember the f the kids are younger, that means they will weigh more in a few years, resulting in less payload.

Regarding the "Skip the Chevy trucks" comment, they have as much payload as the average Ford if not more depending on the model, and from what other members here (and on RV.net) have posted regarding their Tundra's payload, more than the average Tundra. The new GM Twins (Chevy and GMC) seem to have about 1700lbs of payload (+/-) depending on the cab/ bed combo and the options on the truck. From what Tundra owners have posted, they seem to be stuck at about no more than maybe 1500lbs of payload (per the yellow sticker). Obviously this does vary depending on the cab and bed combo, and what model truck you are considering and what options you would like. Get a loaded up truck, and you may not have but barely a 1000lbs of payload depending on the model.

And GM does offer a Max Tow option on both the Chevy and GMC, which last I knew (things do change year to year) added a little more payload over the standard model with the trailer tow package. Some have posted about 2000lbs of payload per the sticker.

Can't help you regarding campsites in Ca, but as mentioned, highly consider a 2500/250+ if looking at the longer model trailers (depending on the mentioned required payload needed).

Do not go by the "brochure" dry weights of the trailers!!! The "dry" tongue/hitch weight for example, in most cases (if not all) does not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue. Those alone add ~120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, and ~160lbs for 2-40lb tanks and a battery to the "dry tw". And that is before you load anything else in the trailer!

Post back with some of the weights mentioned (family, possible truck bed cargo, etc) and we can help more!

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #16

If I was just starting out and looking at purchasing both a tow vehicle and a trailer I wouldn't consider anything less than a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If you have any inclination that you will enjoy RVing you will likely own more than one trailer and with few exceptions people usually do not go smaller until later in life after the kids are gone.

You have gotten sound advice. Pick the trailer that will make you excited to go. Not the one you will view as a compromise, then pick a suitable tow vehicle to match.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post

Chevrolet 1/2 ton trucks shouldn't be considered as they don't have much payload capacity.
Not sure about Ram or Nissan.
My 2013 1/2 ton Sierra has a payload capacity of 1647 lbs and a tow rating of 9600 lbs with a WDH. I think that is pretty competitive with it's class.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #18

A couple of years ago I bought a Chevy 1500 well equipped for towing but not the tow max package. At the time I was trying to keep the length under 28' and like you the 24MBH was my top pick until I realized there was no storage. We "decided" on the 28BHBE Jay Flight but after a lot of research and chatting with others who had one realized that it really required a 3/4 ton truck. We went ahead and traded the 9 month old Chevy for a Ram 2500 diesel but then saw the 32 IBTS and bought that since we had enough truck. We ended up going from a nice short trailer to a 36' triple slide. While it was a great trailer and had lots of room it was just a lot of trailer to drag around and park in state parks. We recently ditched that setup and went with a 31' motorhome and are really enjoying the more maneuverable size.

All of that to say.... I wish I would have stuck with something smaller than 36'.

Also, don't buy into the Chevy doesn't compete crap. Do your homework and you'll find that a properly equipped Ford and Chevy half ton are very capable. The Ram's and Tundra's just don't have the payload you need.

IF... You're comfortable with the larger size then of course a 3/4 ton makes a much better tow vehicle no matter the trailer size.

I'll also say I think the Jay Flights are better built than the WhiteHawks but they come with more weight that requires a larger tow vehicle.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #19

I stand corrected about the Chevrolet / GMC 1/2 ton trucks.

I made the comment from my experience towing a 3000lb trailer with a 2015 Sierra crew cab short box 4x4.
The truck does have 1760lb payload. Same as F150.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #20

Have you looked at the 25BHS? Similar layout to the 24MBH but with a bit more storage I'm assuming. And still half ton towable.

2017 White Hawk 25BHS | Jayco, Inc.