Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaz3 View Post
My wife and I have been looking for a new fifth wheel and the list is now between Foreat River and Jayco. What I have found is they are both in need of a better Quality Assurance. That may just be because I've spent a few years as QA on military aircraft and have become obsessive with perfection.
My pockets aren't deep enough to buy the perfection I'd like to have. I'm happy getting the best bang for my buck.
__________________

__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 1,329
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When units are shipped during the winter season, chances the frames might be rusty because of road condition.
__________________

__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: St.charles
Posts: 54
When we bought ours we did a surprise tour of it before we picked it up we spent about 1 hr in it with blue painters tape and marked every thing we saw about 15 items that we told our salesman about then about a week later we had our pick up date it took us about 3 hrs to go thru it we had them show us every thing ( open, close,turn on and turn off. Then my wife and son slept in it for a couple of days in the drive way .our real shake down is next weekend for the 5th wheel.
Our 1st travel trailer we let the dealer rush us thru it and had a lot of thing we missed and had to learn the hard way
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
NC Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechinhell View Post
... entire framing underneath is covered in rust. So most was fixed or still awaiting parts. The framing I'm probably just going to sand down frame and repaint with rust inhibiter paint.
Our Greyhawk had a lot of light surface rust on the horizontal frame surfaces. It looked like the painter painted the frame adequately from the sides but not from directly underneath. We turned it in to our dealer as a warranty issue. Jayco sort of agreed. They allowed 2 hours of warranty work but it required 10 to fix. Our dealer ate the difference. I was very pleased with the results.

It looks much, much better than this "before" picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	18129
__________________

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
rryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Loris
Posts: 253
Met a guy a few years ago in a campground when we had just gotten our 2010 Jayfeather. It was our first TT since the early 90's. While we were talking, he said that he thought it was a good idea to just turn off the city water supply when you were leaving for any length of time. He pointed to his Salem 5'er which he had bought new, and said the first time out they left for awhile and when they came back, water was coming out of his basement storage doors. A water line had apparently been improperly crimped and blew off, flooding his basement storage area. We are now on our third Jayco in 5 years. The first two had no problems at all. I found some problems on our present one after I took delivery that I fixed myself, but none that I thought were really serious issues. I just found it easier for me to fix the issues than take it back to the dealer 25 miles away.
__________________
---------------------------------
Randy, Karen & Abby (Pom-a-Poo)
2014 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rryman View Post
I just found it easier for me to fix the issues than take it back to the dealer 25 miles away.
Our dealer is 60 miles away and I would rather fix stuff myself as well. I've had great success dealing with the various manufacturers directly [Atwood, Jensen, etc] in obtaining parts while under warranty instead of lugging it back to the dealership, especially when they would have to keep it 2 weeks for a part that took me 20 minutes to install. When you figure in the time and fuel costs to lug it back to the dealership, being a little handy pays off.
__________________
2012 Eagle 320 RLDS
2017 Ford F-250 6.2l
3.73 E-locker
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
being a little handy pays off.
+1
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaz3 View Post
My wife and I have been looking for a new fifth wheel and the list is now between Foreat River and Jayco. What I have found is they are both in need of a better Quality Assurance. That may just be because I've spent a few years as QA on military aircraft and have become obsessive with perfection.
If you need perfection, the RV industry is not for you!!! If you buy an RV, I think that you should expect to have some issues with the unit. If you happen to get lucky and not have a few problems,hurrah for you. If you have a picky attitude, chances are that you will be unhappy. They are mass produced for a price. That means speed is very important to the manufacturer. The trick is to get the most production with the least error. A very tough line to follow!!! Thats why I think the dealer is as important as the manufacturer. If you have a dealer with a very good service dept., It will make the mistakes a lot more bareable. Over the years I have bought from 3 different dealerships. Only one of them will see me again!! When you consider that a new truck will cost from $40 to $50K, I'm thankful that I can buy a 34 ft. fifth wheel with triple slides for less then 35K. I expect there will be issues. I just want someone in the wings that has the expertise to fix it right the FIRST time.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
NC Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Thats why I think the dealer is as important as the manufacturer. If you have a dealer with a very good service dept., It will make the mistakes a lot more bareable.
Well put, and I think most of us will agree.
__________________

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Madera
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
If you need perfection, the RV industry is not for you!!! If you buy an RV, I think that you should expect to have some issues with the unit. If you happen to get lucky and not have a few problems,hurrah for you. If you have a picky attitude, chances are that you will be unhappy. They are mass produced for a price. That means speed is very important to the manufacturer. The trick is to get the most production with the least error. A very tough line to follow!!! Thats why I think the dealer is as important as the manufacturer. If you have a dealer with a very good service dept., It will make the mistakes a lot more bareable. Over the years I have bought from 3 different dealerships. Only one of them will see me again!! When you consider that a new truck will cost from $40 to $50K, I'm thankful that I can buy a 34 ft. fifth wheel with triple slides for less then 35K. I expect there will be issues. I just want someone in the wings that has the expertise to fix it right the FIRST time.
Don't get me wrong we love our RV (Colman) and I'm more then capable of fixing anything that goes wrong with it. What I notice on some (not all) new fifth wheels is poor construction. It does not take any longer to crimp a wire correctly or insure the screws go in straight and all the way. Jayco and Forest River seem to have quality work and that is why they are on our short list for an upgrade. Some of the other manufactures are just setting people up for disappointment and failure. I'm a believer in "Do it right the first time because it takes more time to do it twice".
__________________

notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.