Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Octane 222 SL Battery Questions

I picked up my 2016 TT very late last fall and once I parked it for the winter I removed the batteries (2 group 24 Interstates) to store in my garage for the winter. One of them refuses to hold a charge, and the other appears to still be in good shape.

Q#1. Is it necessary to replace both batteries as a pair? That is my plan unless everyone thinks it is ridiculous. The unit was used for 2 seasons.

Q#2. Did the 222SL originally come with two batteries? From the looks of the cables used to parallel the batteries, I'm not sure. The previous owner had a red cable between the negatives and a black cable between the positives. It appears the cable ends were modified to fit the battery terminals.

Q#3. Since my TT is sitting by my folk's shop and I don't want to bring it home for a couple of weeks yet, is it permissible to plug in the TT to a receptacle without having a battery installed? Will it cause any damage to the charger/inverter/whatever thingamajiggy? I will make sure the wires that attach to the batteries are insulated from touching anything.

Q#4. What's the consensus on Interstate batteries, these are the SRM24's? I have actually thought about just going with one SRM27. Opinions? I do have a Honda generator that will be accompanying us while out camping.

Thanks for any feedback.

Riich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

My 2017 272 SL only came with one battery from factory. I had dealer add a second.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

comes with one. yes, according to "battery experts" replacing both would be best!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback.
Riich is online now   Reply With Quote