Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #1

Angry Pinnacle Rip-off

Ordered a 2021 36ssws in February, originally due in May. Now Scheduled to be in this week. Got a call today from the Jayco dealer informing me that the shaped rear cap is no longer available. the rear cap will be I don't know what. This was one of the primary reasons for picking the Pinnacle. Was told to take it or leave it with no consideration for the reduced value of the unit without the shaped rear cap. Stunning disappointment in this company. I'm not the only one so if you waiting for you Pinnacle your not getting what you ordered.
Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogu View Post
Ordered a 2021 36ssws in February, originally due in May. Now Scheduled to be in this week. Got a call today from the Jayco dealer informing me that the shaped rear cap is no longer available. the rear cap will be I don't know what. This was one of the primary reasons for picking the Pinnacle. Was told to take it or leave it with no consideration for the reduced value of the unit without the shaped rear cap. Stunning disappointment in this company. I'm not the only one so if you waiting for you Pinnacle your not getting what you ordered.
The back will be just like the EAGLE and NORTHPOINT.

They don't make the caps and there is/was a major resin shortage. JAYCO is not the only company affected. Of course you could probably wait a few more months and it "might" be back in production.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
TWX

Quote:

If I were in your shoes and was flexible to a degree, I'd compare the prices of the Pinnacle versus the other units with the plainer construction but otherwise similar options, and tell them that I'd only accept it if it was marked $XXXX down, otherwise due to the deletion of an advertised, basic feature I expect my deposit returned as I will not be taking delivery.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
RPR

Dealer will probably refund and sell to one of the people waiting in line
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWX View Post
If I were in your shoes and was flexible to a degree, I'd compare the prices of the Pinnacle versus the other units with the plainer construction but otherwise similar options, and tell them that I'd only accept it if it was marked $XXXX down, otherwise due to the deletion of an advertised, basic feature I expect my deposit returned as I will not be taking delivery.
That's hard to do since the PINNACLE is built on a wider frame to start with, at 8'6". Whereas the NORTHPOINT and EAGLE are only 8' so an apples to apples would be impossible. Only common denominator would be the back exterior finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Dealer will probably refund and sell to one of the people waiting in line
X-2
Old 06-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #6

I posted this before on another thread. When we were shopping for our Pinnacle, a dealer in Benson, NC had multiple units, and one did not have the cap. We asked and were told by the salesperson that Jayco was no longer guaranteeing the caps due to production shortages, and if you ordered it was basically a crap shoot. My wife loves the rear cap and we were lucky to find one with the options we wanted in Virginia, and the rear cap.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

Already reserved several camping sights so I really have no flexibility. Otherwise, I might reconsider my decision to buy Jayco. If a legal remedy presents itself I would definitely consider trying to recoup some of reduced value. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new to the RV world and this has put a sour note at the beginning of our new adventure. Shame on Jayco.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Shame on Jayco.
How can they supply you with something that is not available??????
Old 06-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #9

I'm not looking for them to magically make my RV appear with something that's not available. I understand that if they can't get the product then they have few choices. However, I'm paying more for the features of the Pinnacle and one of the primary selling points has been taken away with no discussion. The message was: pay full price and if you don't like then don't buy it, we'll sell it to someone else.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #10

Functionally they work the same no matter which type. The only purpose is to keep the inside dry. Aesthetically there is a difference. It kind of says this is a higher end unit, not high end but at least a little upscale. Our last 3 fifth wheels were Excel's. I really liked the end caps they used so when we started looking last year it was on my want list. We narrowed it down to a GD Solitude, which uses a flat panel rear cap, and the Pinnacle. While there were a number of reasons we went with the Pinnacle the molded cap did play a small part in the decision process so I get why you are disappointed. I would be also.

I'm not sure what I would do. Let us know how it works out. When we started looking early last year before the pandemic we weren't all that serious. We had looked at the unit we bought in February but decided to maybe wait a year. The dealer still had it in late May and I finally decided what the heck, get it done. Sure glad I did.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #11

Well, considering the shortage of RV's, I'd take the lumps and carry on. There's thousands of people that would love to be in your position right now. A rear cap is for looks only. Both units function identical. Yeah...they're pretty but also expensive to repair if needed. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't shy away from an RV with it. But it's not a deal breaker for me. If I like the unit, the floorplan and the build quality...that's all that matters. Now, I do agree you should be refunded something. Rear caps are an option on most RV's. My Montana had the option for one but I bypassed it. Not worth the money or extra maintenance in my opinion.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They can't...
but do they still expect the buyer to accept the unit if it was short both of the AC units? or they put smaller sized axles under it instead?

If you enter into a purchase contract for an item with detailed specifications, and those specifications are not delivered - there IS a legal remedy to the purchaser.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
They can't...
but do they still expect the buyer to accept the unit if it was short both of the AC units? or they put smaller sized axles under it instead?

If you enter into a purchase contract for an item with detailed specifications, and those specifications are not delivered - there IS a legal remedy to the purchaser.
There is clearly a disclaimer not only on JAYCO's website, but just about every manufacturers's site. Totally different than essential components.. You're talking apples and oranges.

Jayco reserves the right to make changes and to discontinue models without notice or obligation.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
They can't...

X2
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #15

Pinnacle rear cap for sale...................$20,000
Attached Thumbnails
Pinnacle Rear Cap.jpg  
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:34 PM   #16

HaHa, Make it $10,000 and you have a deal
Old 06-26-2021, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Already reserved several camping sights so I really have no flexibility. Otherwise, I might reconsider my decision to buy Jayco. If a legal remedy presents itself I would definitely consider trying to recoup some of reduced value. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new to the RV world and this has put a sour note at the beginning of our new adventure. Shame on Jayco.
I think the thing that really ticks me off (and I'm sure you also) is the take it or leave it attitude. If you were paying extra for this rear cap you should at least get that knock off the price. The shortage works to the short term advantage of the dealers but nothing last forever. This is totally dishonest but I guess they've calculated it's a no win situation for you. It seems they have no clue about the concept of treating people the way you want to be treated.

These stories (along with the run around I got on a unit I was planning to order) has me convinced never to buy a unit that isn't already built and in stock, which I ended up doing with my 28RLS (driving 300 miles to get it).
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #18
Site Team

I'm not taking sides on this, but put yourself in the dealers shoes for a minute.

You have a business that relies on getting, and selling a product. You also have an overhead and employees to pay for. Now, your Brand X RV company tells you that you're not going to be getting any more units to sell for the rest of the year, as they're only able to build the huge number of sold-order units.

Oh, and it's only six months into the year.

So you look out onto your sales lot, and where there's normally, say 60 new units, now there's only six. (An actual count at our local Brand X RV store today). So now you've realized you're not going to be able to pay your bills, your employees, or keep your business open for very long, and now you're seriously stressed out.

Place this scenario on many of the RV stores in the US. We all may have to drive to Indiana to buy our next RV, since it may be the only one left.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:40 AM   #19

Well, that's crummy. I ordered my 36FBTS in mid January from Haylett. In March, they posted a video about how Jayco could not get the rear caps and were going to substitute a flat cap instead. we (me and dealer) started talking to Jayco and were informed that flat caps were only going to be installed on production units, not customer special orders. i received mine late April with the rear cap as promised. Manufactures reserve the right to make changes as needed. You reserve the right to wait until next year for a new unit.
BigDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What if they decided to just use aluminum siding because the fiberglass was not available for the sides? Same money?

What if you paid extra for the RV Fridge but they couldn't get it so they put in a residential, yet you paid extra for the RV fridge? Same money?

What if you order it with 3 air conditioners and they can only supply one? Same money?

Seems some are ok with just take what you can get. That is unacceptable to me.
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote