Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #21

LOL. So very true. Remember, if a salesman is talking, he or she is lying.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #22

I have said this for years. Do as much research on the dealer as you do on the RV. You will be money ahead by picking a dealer you has a qualified service department and will take care of you during warranty and beyond.
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #23

Hate to be negative but I would not use camping world for any repairs of my jayco 5th wheel. As a retired mechanical engineer, I have seen the poor quality repairs made and the sales people don't stay long and they have limited knowledge of the technical aspects of the products they sell. I am blessed to be able to fix my own rig and keep it on the road.

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #24

Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgarmon View Post
Hate to be negative but I would not use camping world for any repairs of my jayco 5th wheel. As a retired mechanical engineer, I have seen the poor quality repairs made and the sales people don't stay long and they have limited knowledge of the technical aspects of the products they sell. I am blessed to be able to fix my own rig and keep it on the road.
My first two RV purchasing experiences were, in a word, excellent. Camperland Oklahoma in Tulsa has experienced staff, knowledgeable people in back, worked with me to acquire a MSRP $12,995 2012 Jayco 18RB for $8,900 plus tax. (31% off MSRP and cash) My second experience at Custom RV Amarillo was similar for a 2016 FR Salem Cruise Lite 24QBXL MSRP at $24,890 for $16,500 minus $6,000 trade allowance. (33% off MSRP and cash)

CW OKC started at $6,000 off the $26,995 ask with MSRP of $30,995.
I bargained up to $12,000 trade and lowered sale price to $24,000.

The starting price was only 13% below MSRP and the eventual haggled price was 22.5% off MSRP, which was probably too much, but $12,000 for a two year old upgraded dragger was probably 20% more than it was worth. And this time I had to borrow against it.

Both traded units has dual 12v batteries, 300w solar panels with controllers and upgraded tv and upgraded AC in the older one, strip heat in the newer one. Both had new tires and aluminum wheels added as well as 30lb propane tanks. The Jayco came with aluminum rims and Goodyear tires, and they are a wear item of no consequence to value.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #25

Here's some good read and video on the subject:

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/shady-truth-buying-rv

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #26

Gander Outdoors opened a new lot, next town over close to my son. Lots of Jayco's there now. I purchased 150 miles away from Camping World. Hoping I can use this new dealer for my North Point.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
CAG

Several points here. I am in the market for a Greyhawk and just sold my Heartland Cyclone yesterday. One of the reasons I am lurking here. We had the Cyclone for 9 years and during that time I was active on the Heartland Web site. You only need to go there and mention CW and then sit back and read what comes back. It is not complementary. The horror tales are interesting reading.

The second part of this is that this new, to us, C will be our 4th RV. We bought the first three new but although I am a slow learner at times I did finally realize that dealers, of any kind, selling vehicles cannot be trusted. This made me look at used, well cared for, vehicle and my 14 Duramax is that. I tested a few RV sales people over the phone when I started this new venture and quickly moved to gently used class C's. Here is why:
1. The dealer will screw me on my trade in. I made 2.5 times what they offered for the Cyclone by selling privately.
2. I don't have to pay sales tax with a private dealer. That amounts to a $3000-4000 savings. Not to mention the "Doc Fees" what ever that is.
3. I don't have to plan on a day lost, sitting in some sales office while three or 4 different people parade in and try to sell me coatings, extended warranties and what ever else.
4. While this is a little off topic, there is another thread going about extended warranties. Several studies indicate that those are up to a 100% profit to dealers. One state passed legislation to curb them.

OK, my rant for this morning but if you want to deal with a dealer, go for it but after buying probably two dozen cars/trucks and four RVs I have learned to avoid them.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
OK, my rant for this morning but if you want to deal with a dealer, go for it but after buying probably two dozen cars/trucks and four RVs I have learned to avoid them.
My opinion is the direct opposite. First of all, I only deal with what I believe to be a reputable dealer. BBB, Angie's list, etc. are good sources to find out. As far as car dealers, I have used the same one for 20 some years now, so I have first hand experience.

Even buying used from a dealer, there is always some sort of warranty involved. How often do you hear of someone buying a used item from a private individual, only to find out it was put together with duct tape, you have huge problems in a week, and the guy doesn't remember meeting you?

Losing a day listening to sales pitches for warranties, paint sealer, etc. may be an exaggeration. It rarely takes me more than 5 minutes. I tell them right up front that I don't want ANYTHING extra. If I have to say it 2 more times I just get up and say I need to leave.

I admit that our last RV was bought from a well known NON-reputable dealer. But I had reasons. We're set up on a permanent site and the unit will NEVER go back for repairs. Thus, after they delivered it I figured i'll never see them again anyway. More importantly, I decided on a price at the onset. They beat the price, added the options I wanted at no extra charge and delivered it for free.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #29
CAG

Everyone has good and bad experiences. It seems that those dealing with CW have mostly bad, at least from Yelp, RV Web sites etc.

If you think you can come out ahead (money wise) going to the dealer, then buy there but my math never seems to work out in my favor when dealing with them. The sales tax alone adds $6375 to a $75,000 vehicle in the Phoenix metro area. Some cities it is more. If you can still come out a winner on that math, good luck.

You have to do due diligence when shopping. Low miles, some factory warrant left, and a Carfax check goes along ways to making the deal better. If you find things "taped" together you failed to do a good PDI, and I read a lot comments here where it is obvious the never looked "under the hood".

Go where you feel comfortable. Dealers don't get these big fancy buildings on car/RV dealership from giving you a break on a sale.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Gander Outdoors opened a new lot, next town over close to my son. Lots of Jayco's there now. I purchased 150 miles away from Camping World. Hoping I can use this new dealer for my North Point.

Did you know that CW bought out Gander Outdoors....I would double check on it before using them for Service.

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgarmon View Post
Yes, I agree as we have just experienced the lack of customer support from the CW Hillsboro location. I could go on for days about the lack of customer support, etc etc etc. To put it mildly I am as mad as a hornet The only reason we bought here was because they had the Jayco unit we were looking for but, as soon as it left the lot heaven forbid you have a problem because you are SOL!! Oh and don't expect the Corporate office to help you because they could care less also. Fortunately my husband and I are both mechanically inclined and can do most repairs ourselves. We will be looking for a local shop that can make repairs if needed down the road.

One thing I do want to mention is that Jayco themselves were more than happy to assist us and we resolved our issue, so many thanks to them! But, I also made it a point to let them know that they have a problem with that particular dealership.

Ok, there is rant for the day!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maejoicer View Post
Did you know that CW bought out Gander Outdoors....I would double check on it before using them for Service.
My experience with CW is night and day. Service department has outstanding customer service however the warranty department is a black hole. I liken their warranty department to the round table. Everyone points there finger of responsibility to the right and it just keeps going around. Zero validation at the end of the day.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
My experience with CW is night and day. Service department has outstanding customer service however the warranty department is a black hole. I liken their warranty department to the round table. Everyone points there finger of responsibility to the right and it just keeps going around. Zero validation at the end of the day.

Well you are one of the fortunate ones. I guess it depends on where you are located. We couldn't get help from Sales, Service or Mgmt....gave up and went to Jayco, for us so far they have been a pleasure to work with.