Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

Please Wear Gloves

I was dumping my tanks at the storage lot last weekend. Guy comes in all in a hurry. First he pulls up around the corner, I guess to wait for me to get done. I was full and it takes a while to do a good clean-out. So he is sitting for about 15min - there is only one hole - and then he pulls forward so he can see what I am doing. There is the storage places truck in the way so he can't get in on the other side of my trailer, not that it mattered, he couldn't do anything until I left anyway. So the storage place just happens to move its work truck and the guy came really close to hitting my truck with his trailer as he pulls in on the other side. Sorry, but I'm not in a hurry and I will move when I am done. Anyway, I am still flushing my tanks, the guy gets out of his truck, I say "how are you doing?" - nothing, no response. Whatever, what do I care. So he goes to the side of his trailer and gets out his dump hose. I don't know what he was thinking or what was wrong with his dump valve(s) but he starts to take off the cap to his tanks and....you guessed it, every bad thing in the world starts coming out on his hands and his shoes. He is about 2 feet from the dump station concrete pad so everything is going out on the rocks/dirt. I can see he is struggling to get the cap back on. At a minimum a couple gallons came out everywhere. He gets the cap on and heads for his trailer bathroom. His keys are in his pants pocket. I hear him get in his trailer and hit the pump and I can hear there is no water - just the pump struggling and making a horrible vibrating noise - and it only goes on for a second. I assume he used a towel or something but I have no idea. Meanwhile, I am nearly done at this point. His phone rings and he answers it to give someone directions somewhere. The whole time, no gloves. I have heard worse stories, but I just don't get why people don't go grab some rubber gloves at Walmart. Also, why would you put the hose on the trailer first? Please put the hose in the hole before you connect the trailer side. It's just common sense. And for everyone, this is why they sell the removable dump valves. I have one on my trailer because my valves have leaked in the past. They are about $25 at worst. Absolutely worth the cost of one bad day.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
Old 12-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

I saw the guy in front of me have the bayonet fitting blow off as soon as he opened the gate valve, instead of just closing the valve he jumped back out of the way of the black water flow and watched it dump on the ground. I really wonder about some people sometimes.
A tip for keeping gloves handy, get a small tuperware container and cut a slot in the lid, place Velcro on the bottom, fill with disposable gloves and attach to the wall or manifold in your utility compartment. You will always have clean gloves handy and in a re-fillable container.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
Old 12-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

“Nuny”, you are spot on, while I’ve not seen the bare-handed disaster you have, I do see many folks doin the nasty without gloves.
I get my gloves at HF, they also sell a magnetic holder for a box of gloves. I bought one and it sits on the top of my power cord storage reel which is in the same area as the water cabinet. I always have gloves on when connecting/disconnecting the sewer. I also have a small plastic garbage can for the used gloves.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

I just use disposable nitrile gloves. Two pairs at a time. Peel the first pair off when needed. Have a 3rd pair in my pocket, just in case.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #5

My camper valves have never leaked. I take the cap off and nothing comes out until I pull the handle. I’m surprised to read post about how many others experience leaks...
Old 12-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #6

Last time two guys in front of me at dump station. None used gloves to work with the dump station fun.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
My camper valves have never leaked. I take the cap off and nothing comes out until I pull the handle. I’m surprised to read post about how many others experience leaks...
X2 and remember these same people turn the water bib on and off so you should never touch it with a bare hand!!!
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2 and remember these same people turn the water bib on and off so you should never touch it with a bare hand!!!
I always wipe the water spigot down with bleach before using it for that very reason...
Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #9

Some folks are just gross. How many times have we seen people leaving a restroom stall without washing their hands? I carry the disposable gloves as well, and always clean the spigot by the dump station with some Lysol spray and then rinse it in order to help protect the next person.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #10

Not only have I seen them not wear gloves I’ve seen them sitting on the ground connecting their hose

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Keep this thread in mind the next time you are considering buying a used RV, car, etc.

For the record, I always wear gloves.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #12

I agree with all of you. I use spray bleach and Clorox wipes on everything. I also bleach spray my hoses and all of my fittings, and then I set them out to dry before storing them. With full hookups, I do this at the CG. I start early and take my time. Without sewer, I do the best I can at the dump station (rinsing), and then I get it all good when I get home. I cannot throw nasty hose and fittings into any part of our TT or TV, just me. Everything gets put away clean and ready for the next trip. I am a "process" person with the care and maintenance of our "stuff." I take pride in the fact that our tools and vehicles stay in great shape for long service lives.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Last time two guys in front of me at dump station. None used gloves to work with the dump station fun.
Maybe go over introduce yourself and shake hands with them to cement the friendship!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #14

I just went to the bathroom in my house and didn’t wear gloves, so why do I need to when I dump my tanks? That’s why you wash your hands- to each his own though, no need to get so wrapped up in why others do things their own way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
I just went to the bathroom in my house and didn’t wear gloves, so why do I need to when I dump my tanks? That’s why you wash your hands- to each his own though, no need to get so wrapped up in why others do things their own way.

I hear ya and am pretty much on the same page. I use gloves when I think of it but more times than not just hook up and pull the dump valve. After the 2nd hose hook up disaster, I double clamped my hose [hose had separated from the connector] and double check to make sure the bayonet connection is solid. Hose firmly in the dump hole and secured, and let it fly.

Doing a flush at the dump station is something I rarely do primarily because if there are people in line, you are holding up the show. OK they can wait their turn but curtesy is always a good thing. At the storage lot is a little different since you are going into storage and want a clean tank, but taking advantage of a dump station at an intestate reststop etc might be a solution. Typically you are it there and can take your time. A one hole'er and I'm in and out ASAP as I can relate to being the guy back in line.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #16

A box of 100 disposable gloves costs $7 at the industrial supply shop, and sits in the same compartment as where I store the water hose and water filter -- which reminds me that the box I bought about 10 years ago is starting to get low, so I should buy some more this year.

But I agree that a lot of peoples' habits at the dump station leave a lot to be desired. Many years ago I worked for an engineering company and had to work on the job site, which just happened to be a "Water Pollution Control Centre", aka a sewage treatment plant. Learned a lot of neat things and saw a lot of gross things, enough to make me understand that sewage is nothing to be trifled with.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 12-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Maybe go over introduce yourself and shake hands with them to cement the friendship!
Ew...just...ew!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
It's to be hoped that your bathroom is a lot cleaner than most dump stations...
Precisely because other people "do things their own way", I'm careful to wear gloves ... and I clean up after myself as a courtesy to others,

For various complicated reasons, I have a compromised immune system, so I've had to learn to take extra precautions.. so I have a large supply of disposable gloves :-)

Ian, the man from Scotland
Old 12-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:

Worst case my dump connection will have a dribble behind it after two weeks. I sometimes use gloves but I always wash my hands at the outside shower port in the valve bay where there is also a soap dispenser. Paper towel roll hangs in the basement. To each his own but I'm not a germaphobe.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:

I think the OP was referring to the person who got sewage all over their hands, pants, phone, and who knows where else without washing up. If you want to know why I wear gloves, AND wash my hands check out this page for just a few of the many diseases caused by raw sewage, please treat raw sewage like the health danger it is.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
Closed Thread