Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
IRV

Portable Solar Panel Question

I’m going to be Boondocking my 2022 Jayflight SLX 8 212QBW for about 10 days.

I have one 100 watt portable Noma Solar panel kit with charge controller. I know it won’t power much, but I’m hoping to keep the 12V battery from failing as quickly (along with no lights or water pump unless needed at the time, fridge on gas etc). Is there any harm in connecting the cables to the battery directly on the A-frame and just leaving the panel up the whole time ?

I also have a 3000 w generator but the parks have restrictions on usage due to noise. Thanks for the feedback in advance !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2236.jpg   IMG_2233.jpg   IMG_2232.jpg  
IRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:24 PM   #2

It would be fine to leave it hooked up all the time. The charge controller will sense when the batteries are fully charged and just "trickle" charge as needed until the next day after using 12V during the evening hours.

Only thing I would be concerned with, is a possible theft of the system during the night.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:03 PM   #3
IRV

Thank you for the reply. I’d have to run a chain through the stand portion of the panel and hope it’s enough of a deterrent. Typically not much theft from previous experience at the location I’m going to but you never know.
IRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:00 PM   #4

I've done that with basically the same TT. I used the SAE style connectors and could easily store the panel in my truck bed. In my experience 200 watts is the minimum to keep the battery close to charged with just using the LED lights and water pump. There are other drains such as all the alarms and the controller for the fridge. I chased the sun as best as I could during the day when we were around the campsite.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #5

I have 200 watts solar on the roof, MPPT controller and 100 amp lithium. It stayed charged in Great Sand Dunes for nights when it snowed. Uses were lights, pump and quite a bit of furnace as it snowed nightly at the Dunes campground.

100 watts and a cheap controller will help if you can keep it in the sun and maybe a few hours of geny every other day or three if you don't watch a lot of TV or 12 volt fridge.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:35 PM   #6
C42

Portable Generator Noise

I live off-grid in Northern NY...I have a few different portable generators, but I travel a lot with my Champion 2000w model. It weighs 38 pounds and has an "eco" mode that is incredibly quiet. People standing at the front of my house can barely hear it 25 ft away. It also only sips gas - 11 hours on a full tank (1 gallon) at 25% load. It is very reasonable (around $500.00 _/- at Tractor Supply) but does a great job for its low price. It does NOT have a 30-amp receptacle - but works fine with 2 120 v outlets...I power computers and lights with it with no problem.
C42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 09:16 PM   #7

I have the same panel, and a Coleman 8.5A charge controller on my 267BHS... It works to keep the battery topped off while in storage, no problem.

I connected the charge controller straight to the battery, and used SAE quick connects to connect the panel... I also added a 200A disconnect between the battery and trailer; as my model didn't come with a factory one, and the parasitic loads were a problem.
OntFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boon docking power, solar