Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #1

Question about items for new camper

We are picking up our new Jay Flight 284BH this week. I saw the sticky for the PDI of what to look at when picking it up, so that will be going with us at the pick up.

I know that I need to have the electrical, water and sewer items. What is a good length to have for all of them? I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos about what to have, but never really remember them saying how long everything should be. I know that some have various lengths of everything, but wasn't sure if there was a general length to get started with. Should I figure 25' or 50'?

If hooking up the electric at the house, can I use a 15 amp electric cord and still run the AC?

Should I invest in some type of covers for the vents? What about slide toppers, are they worth it?

I'm sure that I will have a lot of other questions after we take delivery, but just want to get a few of the necessities either ordered or picked up when we take delivery.
niteshiftfromkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #2

Congrats on the new camper!
Our first was a Hybrid (X23B) and had maybe 20’ of electrical, I bought an extension that was maybe another 20’. I know I used it at the house but don’t recall if it was used at a CG. I was not able to run the AC from a 15A circuit, we have a 20A in the home kitchen that I could reach with the extension and a “dog-bone” adapter that would let us run the AC. I would avoid a 15A extension cord. We used one for lights, water pump and fridge, don’t think I’d be comfortable with much more than that.
Our current unit (5er) has a 35’ power cable and I carry a 30’ extension which I’ve used a couple of times over 7 years.

Water, I’d suggest a 25’ with a 20’-ish extension.

I like vent covers and bought Maxxair. I also like toppers.

If you are buying a new unit the dealer will probably give you a “starter kit”. Ours had some black tank chems, very basic slinky, water pressure regulator, 30 to 15A adapter and some other stuff. I thought the pressure reg restricted the water flow and replaced it with an adjustable regulator.
If the elect adapter is a small “block” type I’d suggest tossing it and get a dog-bone style”. Thereve been pix posted of the block over heating and melting.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #3

20' for everything will be fine for the vast majority of time but you will find that some parks or laid out oddly, so carry additional lengths. We once stayed at an RV park that had once been a mobile home park and the hook-ups were wonky. For sewer, get the kind that can squish done from 20' to 4' and carry two- some runs can be long. I have an additional 50' 50 amp extension cord that I have never used, but one day...

Not sure about the home hook-up and the A/C.

Vent covers are not needed IMHO, but toppers are good to keep the sun off the slides and the twigs/ leaves off.

Good luck with the new rig!
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:14 PM   #4

All so much fun.

How long for the PDI, depends on your questions. I would guess an hour. Try every single item, including the DVD player, so bring a disk.

Ask lots of questions. When you get done, do another walk around, and think about each system, and ask any questions you have.

If they are settup the WDH, plan at least another 30 minutes.

As for power, you might be able to run the AC on a 15 amp circuit, you will be able to on a 20 amp circuit.

Vent covers, I would strongly recommend them. They are easy to install, so if they want to charge for their installation do it yourself.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #5

Thanks all. The dealer told us to figure on 3 hours for the PDI. I was looking at 25' for everything. I have the dog bone connector in my cart at Amazon as well as a surge guard, water filter, and various other things. I just wasn't sure how much to get for the initial test run. We were planning on going to a local campground for the first run so that way we could go back home for anything that we missed.

I guess after that test run we can figure out what else we may need.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Congratulations on the new Jayco! Excellent idea for your first time out. We just returned from a state park here in NY, and had to use close to 70' of electrical cord. Both 25' extensions and most of what was attached to the TT.

If they had water hookups there, it would've taken that much hose also. We've been to that park before, and knew the pedestals were shared, and could be a stretch depending on the site.

Other RV'ers are usually happy to help out if you get stuck for something, or need help. A Walmart that's nearby can also be a life saver.

Take notes, and even videos on your phone during the PDI. Learn where everything is, and how it works. There'll be a lot of information thrown at you, so if you need further explanations, ask the tech go over it again. It's your time to learn as much as possible about your new memory maker.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:09 AM   #7

The most important thing is a good 3 ring binder! Have a page that is used for things you forgot, things you see on other campers that you like, etc. We also use the binder for each state park campground we got to, and we mark all the sites in the campground as to whether or not we like the site. Also great for keeping all your manuals in one place.
Tronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshiftfromkc View Post
Thanks all. The dealer told us to figure on 3 hours for the PDI. I was looking at 25' for everything. I have the dog bone connector in my cart at Amazon as well as a surge guard, water filter, and various other things. I just wasn't sure how much to get for the initial test run. We were planning on going to a local campground for the first run so that way we could go back home for anything that we missed.

We bought our first online and drove Houston to Orlando to pick it up. We towed with a Ford Expedition and the back was packed with “stuff” we’d bought for the new toy. Our first evening we were like kids on Christmas morning.

Start planning for the tools you’ll want to carry. To start with: 1) make sure you’ve got tools to change a tire, 2) get a Robertson bit (square bit) for your driver (that seems to be the only type of screw they use). I started off packing a tool bag to take for each trip but discovered pretty quickly that I’d forgotten something that I needed. I now have tools that stay in the trailer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshiftfromkc View Post

Quick mention about PDI......Do not accept delivery of your unit until you are 100% satisfied with it. In fact, unless you have already, do not hand over your check or sign finance papers until you are ready to pull off of the lot with all areas found in your PDI addressed. Trust me when I tell you that you DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT want to fall for the classic line "Oh..don't worry about it. Bring it back in a few weeks and we will fix it under warranty".
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Quick mention about PDI......Do not accept delivery of your unit until you are 100% satisfied with it. In fact, unless you have already, do not hand over your check or sign finance papers until you are ready to pull off of the lot with all areas found in your PDI addressed. Trust me when I tell you that you DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT want to fall for the classic line "Oh..don't worry about it. Bring it back in a few weeks and we will fix it under warranty".
I have made sure that I don't sign or pay for stuff that is not right. A while back, we had a new roof put on and the roofers would throw the scraps into the valley flashing and dented it all up. When the company wanted their money for the roof, I told them they would get it when the flashing was replaced. Needless to say, they replaced the flashing.

I also have done that on new vehicles as well since some of them were purchased from dealers hours away from me.

The binder is a great idea. I will get one to keep in the rig.

Thanks for all of the great ideas, we pick up tomorrow so it will be pretty exciting.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

Post #9, is the Best advice you will ever get!
Old 08-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
Site Team

If you get a starter kit from the dealer use it until you check out the different offerings. There is a wide variety of quality and price so don't spend money buying everything until you use the rig a few times. Basically a cheap sewer hose and a 25' water hose will get you enough experience with just a short trip or 2 to determine what is available.

Look at other rigs and see what is out there.. may save you some $$$.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

Make sure they don't rush you during the PDI. You can take all day as long as you don't pay or sign anything. I spent several hours looking over and finding things and still missed a few minor things I fixed on my own. Hope you are a DIY'er or good at following youtube instructions. This forum is always a great place to check first.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #14

For connection to standard house receptacle, I recommend a yellow #12 cord, better for less voltage drop; and I do NOT recommend running air unless you have an EASYSTART or similar for lower amperage? OTHERWISE, smaller cords/ plugs/ receptacles seem to MELT when least expected.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #15
Site Team

Years ago I bought a SOB, some other brand, and it was my 2nd 5th wheel of that brand. The guy that did the PDI knew less than I did about the features on the new rig, and it was freezing and getting dark.

Knowing what I know now it may have been a different ending but we were familiar with the brand enough to learn it on our own.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #16

Congrats OP! I remember the first camper my wife and I owned, so much fun!

I have a regular 25' power cord. I was looking for an additional 25' cord so that I could use it as an extension, but someone in our camping group upgraded to a 50amp camper and was throwing away a 50' cord. So now I have both. I've needed more than 25' once, so it was nice to have.

Vent covers are GREAT. They allow you to keep your vent open, even if it rains. They take the brunt of the UV light and will fail and crumble first, instead of your vent. They are pretty cheap and easy to install. Every couple of years get on your roof and tap them with a stick. When they are super old, they will just crumple from UV degradation. Take the old one off, put a new one on and keep on trucking.

We recently started to use a product like the Anderson Ultimate Leveler. They are VERY easy to use and help with some of the rocking motion too. I would highly recommend you buying a variation. We bought the Beech Lane version which is cheaper and very high quality.

Good luck with your new camper, hope you have a fantastic time camping! We've owned our own camper for almost 12 years now and LOVE it. Work as a team with your spouse and enjoy yourself. Our kids (almost 9, almost 7 and 2.5) love camping. We've got a group of good friends that we often camp with and we do our own solo trips just as a family. Its great quality family time and experiences that we wouldn't otherwise have.

I carry a regular 25' hose and keep a second one in case I need the extra length.

I have a 20' sewer hose that is actually 2 10' sections. We usually only need the 10' section, but its nice to have the extra length.

I personally have a Progressive Industries hardwired EMS. Its a little more expensive than a simple plug in model, but I opted to pay more for a couple reasons. First is that its pretty easy to install (and remove when we move to our next camper). Its out of the elements. I don't have to worry about a poor connection at the pedestal that damages it. Also (at least at the time I bought it) it had more features than the plug in version. The hardwired model monitors voltage and will shut off power if voltage drops too low, rather than damaging compressors with low voltage.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronicus View Post
The most important thing is a good 3 ring binder! Have a page that is used for things you forgot, things you see on other campers that you like, etc. We also use the binder for each state park campground we got to, and we mark all the sites in the campground as to whether or not we like the site. Also great for keeping all your manuals in one place.
Yes, and lists of everything - how to set up / take down, winterize, sanitize, ideas for customizing, useful mods, common repairs, how-to's, history of purchase, repairs, travel, mileage. We keep it all in a blue vinyl zippered briefcase that goes with us everywhere.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote