Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #1

Question on GVWR

Is the GVWR on the fifth wheel a measure of the trailer's total weight, as it would measured if sitting on the scales by itself, disconnected from the truck and fully loaded? Or is the GVWR the maximum weight limit supported by the two trailer axles alone?
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

Fully loaded connected to the truck, or just sitting on the jacks either one. It will be higher than what the axles alone can carry.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

Max weight the trailer can weigh.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Gross vehicle weight ratings (in this case, your trailer) take into account the base curb weight of the vehicle plus the weight of any optional accessories, cargo and passengers. A vehicle should never be loaded beyond the manufacturer's listed GVWR.

The gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is the maximum allowable combined mass of a road vehicle, the passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the mass of the trailer and cargo in the trailer. This rating is set by the vehicle manufacturer.

I'm new at this, but I reckon with a fifth wheel trailer one needs to be mindful of the gross axle weight rating of the tow vehicle too.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #5

Yea, I am mindful of the axle capacities. Hence the question about which scenario represents the GVWR. On the yellow sticker the GVWR for the trailer is 12600. The 5ver have 2 6000 lb axles. So that doesn't add up. The stated GVWR exceeds the axles' combined stated capacity. But the axles aren't the only thing holding it up. When that portion of the trailer weight applied to the tow vehicle hitch is deducted from the weight of the trailer, I find the 2 axles support around 9500 lbs and well within their stated capacity. I've towed this thing all over the country so I'm guessing that axle capacity must be the greatest limiting factor when arriving at a GVWR and weight applied to the tow vehicle must be part of their consideration.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #6

Yes weight on king pin is consider when determining you max loads. Rough rule of thumb is your king pin should take about 20% of the load of your 5th wheel. So you have a 12600 max that 2520 or so should be on the truck so about 5k per axle.

This points out the need for weighing your rig fully loaded on your truck and the need to consistently load your unit the same way each time. Loads further back or in front of your axles will significantly change the load on the king pin and can actually overload an axle. Get axle weights on each axle at a cat scale or better yet each tire weight for the most accurate data.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gvwr