Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Renogy Rover solar controller questions

Hi All!
Hope somebody can help me out here .... got my system installed over the weekend, but have a few questions:

(1) the controller was set to "SLD" batteries. I am assuming I'll have to change that to "FLD" for my 6V Interstate golf cart batteries. (the ones sold at Costco)

(2) what is the deal with all these Load Settings and Load Mode Options? Can somebody explain what that's for? Like "load will turn on at night", etc. I don't quite understand what that's all about.

Thanks a lot for any help!
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012x19h View Post
Hi All!
Hope somebody can help me out here .... got my system installed over the weekend, but have a few questions:

(1) the controller was set to "SLD" batteries. I am assuming I'll have to change that to "FLD" for my 6V Interstate golf cart batteries. (the ones sold at Costco)

(2) what is the deal with all these Load Settings and Load Mode Options? Can somebody explain what that's for? Like "load will turn on at night", etc. I don't quite understand what that's all about.

Thanks a lot for any help!
That's a nice-looking MPPT charge controller, I wish I had one of those. I have a lowly Sunsaver 6.

In any case, since I don't have one, I can only guess as to your questions:

1) I guess FLD stands for flooded, so, yes, that should be the selection.

2) You have to check if your load (12 V consumers in the trailer, i.e. lights, stereo, smoke detector etc.) is connected through the charge controller. If yes, the controller can shut off the load when the battery goes below a certain amount of discharge. This is to protect the battery, which should not often be discharged below 50% for longevity.

The controller could also shut off load at night, eliminating all parasitic discharge. This is probably not recommended, since you'll lose CO alarm, and probably fridge function. Even on propane, the fridge has some 12 V power draw for the control board.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

Yes on the FLD setting for your batteries. As far as the Load setting I’ve never used it for the 3 years I’ve had my system. To be honest even after trying to read up on it I’m not entirely sure what it’s for lol. Call the guys at Renogy if your curious, they are awesome at customer service.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

I don't think the load circuit would be applicable to an RV. Any load in an RV should be tied into the battery not a separate load circuit on the charge controller.

But as an example lets say you had a barn with a small solar setup to provide power for a water pump and some lights. You could hook up one light or a small heater or something to the load circuit and program it to come on at certain times for a night light or security light. This circuit is monitored and controlled by the CC and can disconnect the load if the batteries get depleted too much.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I don't think the load circuit would be applicable to an RV. Any load in an RV should be tied into the battery not a separate load circuit on the charge controller.

But as an example lets say you had a barn with a small solar setup to provide power for a water pump and some lights. You could hook up one light or a small heater or something to the load circuit and program it to come on at certain times for a night light or security light. This circuit is monitored and controlled by the CC and can disconnect the load if the batteries get depleted too much.

Hope that helps.
Kind of the way I was reading it but now it makes more sense when you put it that way. I never saw a need for something like that in the RV so I guess that’s as far as I looked into it. Thanks for the clarification.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Kind of the way I was reading it but now it makes more sense when you put it that way. I never saw a need for something like that in the RV so I guess that’s as far as I looked into it. Thanks for the clarification.
Same here, makes sense now!
Thanks Subaru!
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote