Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #1

Roadside Assistance

So we are quickly coming up on deciding to renew our Good Sam Roadside Assistance that came with our RV purchase from Camping World. It says it covers the tow vehicle and our FW. Cost is $60 for the next year.

Any input on what "protection" or "peace of mind" you have in place for roadside assistance and maybe even experience with Good Sam Roadside is appreciated.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Many RV owners use Coach-Net.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

Had Good Sam.

They couldn't get someone to help with a flat on our TT just outside of Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon.
Switched to Coach Net. Have used a couple of times, and have no issues with them. Prompt and Courteous.
One tow truck driver told us that Good Sam has the lowest reimbursement rates in the business, and he only took calls from them if he had no others, as the other providers (AAA, Coach Net, etc.) paid more.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #4

I just wanted to add my two cents on my experience with a Good Sam today. I was towing my travel trailer to the dealer as I traded it for a new Greyhawk. The dealer actually owns it now, but I need it out of my yard ( I know the liability ). We had a little bit of snow and I didn’t judge my driveway correctly and due to the incline and other factors I was stuck up my driveway, but partially on my dead end road. I purchased Good Sam Platinum about three weeks ago. I just needed someone with a tow strap, but had no one I could call. I called a Good Sam, and spoke to someone from Ukraine or similar. After about 10 minutes of being on hold I was told they couldn’t help because Good Sam does not cover getting stuck in snow. I laughed and said cancel my plan and they hung up. I then called my AAA thinking it was a long shot. I told them I was stuck in snow. In 30 minutes the flatbed arrived, hooked on to my front recovery hook and I will as out easy peasy. I then called my credit card company and explained I just bought the plan and they refused to help and I asked if I could dispute the charge. After a couple of minutes she told me it was disputed and credited back to me, pending review, but that it would most likely be fine.
BuckleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

I've always heard that Coach-net was the best but this year their rates went say up and by that I mean their price tripled. When my Ford roadside assistance runs out I'll need to switch to a different plan but not sure where to go. I've heard good and bad about Good Sam but the price of Coach-net is hard to swallow.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #6

I like FMCA at $69 per year.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #7

That's also one I've been looking at. Even with the yearly membership fee for FMCA, it's still worth it. I've heard better things about them than GS.

However, I changed to GS RV insurance this year because I got priced out of Progressive even with a perfect record and being a 10 year member.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #8

I'm changing over to FMCA since they pay the tow to the nearest facility qualified repair facility.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 AM   #9

Oooh I like this topic. Curious to see more thoughts as I'm wondering what plan to go for.
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #10

Coach-Net for me. Used them once in Louisiana. Worked out well.
Aggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
Oooh I like this topic. Curious to see more thoughts as I'm wondering what plan to go for.
^ Same here. Just starting to research what plan to go with.

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #12

I found out the hard way that unfortunately, none of the highway assistance plans will/can come into National Parks to assist you. A trailer tire picked up a self tapping screw somewhere. In any case, fortunately I noticed it being half flat while camped at Madison Campground. After telling me they (Good Sam) would come in x amount of time, later they called the Ranger Station to leave word they could not come inside the National Park.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I found out the hard way that unfortunately, none of the highway assistance plans will/can come into National Parks.
That's really nice to know. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #14

i heard good sam will bring you out a new tire if you need one. will anyone else do that?
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

I also have Good Sam membership but it is up for Renewal this spring. I am considering others and it sounds like coach net may have what I want in terms of somebody to change a flat tire no matter where I am or give us a tow if needed. But I also need someone that I can call to help me shove in a slider if it's stuck or whatever from The Forum here I get the idea that coachnet is perhaps the best available 4 tow vehicles and travel trailers?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #16

I renewed my Good Sam this year but have not had to use it so have no thought as to how good they are. I am a FMCA member but am not happy with what they offer. For the last year all I get is their magazine that is full of ads for their for pay services and e-mails that offer their for pay services. All they ever do is try to sell me something. They do have a nice plaque for my coach and every now and then I see a campground pop up on my trip planner that they sponsor. Other than that I don't see much unless I sign up and pay for their various insurance plans.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I found out the hard way that unfortunately, none of the highway assistance plans will/can come into National Parks to assist you. A trailer tire picked up a self tapping screw somewhere. In any case, fortunately I noticed it being half flat while camped at Madison Campground. After telling me they (Good Sam) would come in x amount of time, later they called the Ranger Station to leave word they could not come inside the National Park.
I have Good Sam travel insurance and called to confirm that they did or did not go into the national parks as we tend to Camp a great deal in the national parks. They do in fact go into the national parks and forests but will not leave the established roadways to go on a back Trail to make a retrieval or repair. I think your buddy from the Ukraine was a little confused about that.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #18

I have to say I've had good experiences with Good Sam roadside service. I've had to call them twice in the past 5 years. Both times my truck had a flat tire. I wasn't towing my trailer. 1st time took about 15 minutes, 2nd time about 45 minutes. Good Sam texted me several times to let me know when the service truck was on its way, etc. I just read what Chet & Marie said about back roads in Nat'l Parks. I've got a feeling the road up to Mt. Washington in NH might be one of those exclusions! Good thing my wife didn't know that last year!
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
I renewed my Good Sam this year but have not had to use it so have no thought as to how good they are. I am a FMCA member but am not happy with what they offer. For the last year all I get is their magazine that is full of ads for their for pay services and e-mails that offer their for pay services. All they ever do is try to sell me something. They do have a nice plaque for my coach and every now and then I see a campground pop up on my trip planner that they sponsor. Other than that I don't see much unless I sign up and pay for their various insurance plans.
What is FMCA stand for
Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
What is FMCA stand for
Family Motor Coach Association

They used to be driveable RVs only but recently opened up their organization to towables as well.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote