Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #1

Roof Repair question

Hey, y'all!

I just grabbed a 2006 27BH and the rear 3-4ft section of roof has water damage from a previous water leak. I need to replace that last sheet of plywood.

Is it common to roll back a section of the EPDM roof to do a repair and then reinstall/reuse the rubber roof? This would be the last 6ft rear roof material to repair the last section of plywood and trusses. Yes, I know the damage may extend down into the wall and I can handle *that.

I understand the rail has to be removed to get to the staples that hold the rubber to the side of the camper. I just wasn't sure how resilient this roof material is or if it's common to shrink so much so as not to be able to stretch it back into place, etc.
My roof membrane looks and feels like it's in great condition. I planned on scrubbing and sealing/conditioning it.

I was a licensed home contractor for many years, and while TT construction is not the same, I feel confident in what I'm about to do. I just lack industry experience to know the little details like this.
interestingfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #2

The roof is made of several strips of rubber material stretched across the trailer. You could replace the last piece completely with a new one if the old one is damaged during removal or prior damage.

Alternatively, make sure you have Etearnabond tape on hand and reinforce any areas along the edge when reinstalling. Etearnabond is permanent as far as I can tell and if installed correctly should outlast the roof.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestingfellow View Post

Is it common to roll back a section of the EPDM roof to do a repair and then reinstall/reuse the rubber roof? This would be the last 6ft rear roof material to repair the last section of plywood and trusses. Yes, I know the damage may extend down into the wall and I can handle *that.

I understand the rail has to be removed to get to the staples that hold the rubber to the side of the camper. I just wasn't sure how resilient this roof material is or if it's common to shrink so much so as not to be able to stretch it back into place, etc.
I would contact DICOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
The roof is made of several strips of rubber material stretched across the trailer.
Nope. It's one continuous piece. If you have a rig that is pieced, it's been repaired and incorrectly so.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would contact DICOR

Thank you!
I don't mean to be rude, but what would Dicor be able to tell me? I thought they made adhesives? I am ignorant.

What little I do know about how these roofs are put together has been from various promotional jayco youtube videos, a handful of tangentially related jayco videos, and videos from rv roof repair dotcom out of Ga (though I realize their roofs are not the same as/better than/upgraded from stock).

Thanks, again!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you!
I don't mean to be rude, but what would Dicor be able to tell me? I thought they made adhesives? I am ignorant.

What little I do know about how these roofs are put together has been from various promotional jayco youtube videos, a handful of tangentially related jayco videos, and videos from rv roof repair dotcom out of Ga (though I realize their roofs are not the same as/better than/upgraded from stock).

Thanks, again!
They also made the roofing membrane.

https://dicorproducts.com/product-ca...roof-products/
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

I've been down the road you are on, just on a smaller unit. I ended up replacing the entire roof membrane, plywood, etc.

Your proposed method of attack is sound, however having enough membrane to grip on the edges to pull taught, and tack in place will be a small fight as there won't be much there to grip. If you know what duckbilled vice grips are, then line them with a few layers of duct tape (so not to cut the membrane when clamping), and give it a go.

Worst case scenario, you will end up having to replace a portion of the roof material once you have moved up far enough on the roof to have moved passed all water damage. Here, you can seam it with Eternabond and caulk the edges properly as they suggest. Replacing the entire membrane is "ideal" as it eliminates any seams (other than front and rear) but there are many a rig out there with seams on them - don't sweat it.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They also made the roofing membrane.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I've been down the road you are on...
Also, thank you! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I wasn't sure if it would just be too shrank back to reuse.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you!

Also, thank you! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I wasn't sure if it would just be too shrank back to reuse.
Again, you might find that it's too narrow to stretch/re-attach, but at that point, you can seam it.... or, do your due diligence and replace from front to rear. If you do have to install new, shop around on prices - I didn't, and thought my local dealer was treating me fairly... ended up paying twice for the roof membrane as what I could of bought it for on e-bay.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #9

I'll be honest with you, if it comes down to needing a whole new roof, I would be very interested in what it would cost me to do the repairs and bring it ready for rubber to Rv Roof Install in oglethorpe ga. They use TPO and heat seam everything with curbs and and what not. Very good work from what I can see on the youtubes
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #10

Crazy seal at least that area after wood repaired and things are dry.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote