Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

RV Consumer Group

I'm working steadily toward my first Jayco and leaning heavily towards the Alante 29S. Floor plan is perfect but looking for an independent assessment of the motorhome.

The comments on this forum have been very helpful but looking for a Consumer Reports like organization for motorhomes.

I came across the RV Consumer Group and their publications seem to be helpful, but they obviously provide a lot more information than I'm looking for.

I don't find the RV magazines particularly helpful. It seems like they are a lot like gun writers, who generally say great things about every new firearm that is released.

Appreciate any rudder you can provide.

Mike
woodwardmpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Crickets.....

I often wondered the same thing. It seems that either the publication is sponsored by the RV industry, won't do any critical reviews, or most RVs are not different enough to separate themselves from a quality standpoint.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #3

My thoughts as well. Figured folks would be diving on this grenade if the publication was meaningful.

The sample report they have on the website is full of information but I’m not sure how they come to the conclusions they do or whether the prices they quote are consistent with estimates provided by NADA.

The guides are pricey but if the information is meaningful, it would be a worthwhile investment.

Hopefully others have walked this ground before and can comment one way or another.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

woodwarmpd, you just need to dig a little deeper to find out more about them.

https://rv.org/blogs/news/rv-confide...ow-we-rate-rvs

Honestly, we've owned camping trailers since '93, have been participating in RV forums pretty much as long and this is the first I've heard of this group. So either they are not all that well respected by consumers, or they simply don't do enough to make themselves known.

It looks like they are very concerned about safety, which is great. They appear by their own admission to look at quality but not report on it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

Chuck,

Thanks. I hadn't gotten to the Free News section but it has some good info. The recall data is pretty current, which would indicate these guys are alive and well.

I guess I'll make the leap and purchase their package special and I'll report back on what I find. Since it is digital, I may be able to share some information depending on any copyright issues.

Mike
Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

Interesting set of books included in their Package Special. They include:

RV Rating Guide - 2016-2018 Motor Home Reports
RV Rating Guide - 2011-2015 Motor Home Reports
RV Buying Trilogy that includes three books show you how to select, inspect, and buy a safe and affordable RV. A lot of pictures but seems 80-90s vintage for some.
A book titled "How to Outwit Any Auto, Truck, or RV Dealer Every Time" which is like many that have been written about the various techniques salesman use to buy a vehicle. Focus is more about automobiles but same logic applies to RVs.
Last is a good titled "How to Tow Guide Safely"

The rating guide is interesting. For the later models (2016-2018) is includes a recommendation on use such as snowbirding, full time and average price presented as a percentage of the MSRP. A section on Highway Control that is a function of the wheelbase to length ratio. One on Occupant Safety and a depreciation schedule per year out to 10 years.

The 2011-2015 guide has similar information but does not include the depreciation schedule.

Here is a sample report -

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...09795477492003

If you review their website, RV safety is their primary goal and it is reflected in the guides but overall it was a worthwhile purchase. While not the only source of information I'll use to make my buying decision, definitely a data point for me to consider.

While not changing my mind about the Alante, it does make be strongly consider the Greyhawk as well. It will also encourage me to test drive the Alante on the highway to get a feel for its handling.