Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

RV Friendly Gas Station

I will be pulling our X213 from Charlotte to Wilmington, NC. I'm looking for an RV friendly gas station about half way along the way off of I-74. Any recommendations?
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #2

I do not know a specific, but most truck stops have good areas for regular gas as well.
Tronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Check out the Flying J website. You can search for locations with RV specific fuel lanes, etc.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #4

When towing we always set our GPS for the Truck Stops or Truck friendly fuel stations.. Typically i find fuel prices 10-15 cents higher then the convenience store places but knowing we can get in and out safe with our RV we don't mind. I also like the fast pumps at truck stops.. Seems i can fill my tank within a minute at truck stops vs several minutes at convenience stations..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #5

I preplan my fuel stops for every trip when I'm going far enough to need it.

I use Google maps on the satellite view so I can see the approach and departure options. I only go for gas stations on the proper side of the road so I can make rights in and out or have a stop light for a left turn. They must also have 2 entrances and exits so I don't have to try to turn around. This view will give you a good idea if you will fit.

I then use street view to see the aprons to determine if I will drag, as well as the direction of the pump lanes. If they face the building or street, I choose another station. For me, I only want pump lanes parallel to the street for easier in/out.

I also plan a few gas station options in case of construction, a station is closed (happened on the last trip), or the pump you thought you could use is broken (happened last year). You also don't know about head winds that might make your MPGs go way down and you'll need fuel sooner.

Good luck!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

Flying J/Pilot, Love's, T&A - just about any truck stop will suit you. If you have diesel, you can go to the back. Most Flying Js have RV islands. Some Pilots do but they are so tight, not working for the bigger rigs. If using the back with the big guys, just remember to pull up once you are done so they can get their truck in to begin fueling.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

We use the AllStays app on our cell phones (iPhone) to plan fuel stops. It will show the major brands. We usually use truck stops as our 5th is a bit long (39’) and the TV is diesel. If I have doubts about getting in or out of a location I will look at the sat view. AllStays is also our go to source when searching for a CG. It will also show underpass heights. It was one time $10.00 when we bought it and has proven accurate for us.
When towing we have about 300 mi range so I like to pick a fuel stop around the 200 mi point. My bladder usually agrees with this plan.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #8

My TV is a gasser so the diesel lanes at Love's, Pilot etc. don't help me. I try to avoid stations that set their pumps perpendicular to the roadway since any amount of traffic at the pumps or parked vehicles in front of the station building make the turn of our 30+ foot trailer difficult....at best.

Not always, but east of the Mississippi I've encountered about 90% of the time Shell and Marathon stations are set up with pump lanes parallel to the road and that suits me just fine. Easy in, easy out. Exxon and BP are about 50% that way.

I like the other post where the google maps are used to view the anticipated stop.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #9

Thanks

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Old 09-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #10

Thanks

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Old 09-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #11

Avoid Sheetz, they are tight.
Wyka2020RVlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fochman View Post
I will be pulling our X213 from Charlotte to Wilmington, NC. I'm looking for an RV friendly gas station about half way along the way off of I-74. Any recommendations?
I have a 2019 x213 and have used it extensively. Traveling to most of the western states. The trailer is short enough to get around most gas pumps even with other vehicles around. On some really small gas stations, I will just wait for a pump on the street side
bam1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #13

In July & part of Aug this year we did a 7.3K mi loop trip from AZ to MT to WI, then TN, & MO, before starting our leg back home to AZ. We used a book called "Next Exit" (can be found on Amazon, etc.). This worked very well for us by letting us know what vendors were at exits coming up, and If we could get in easily. Since we were towing a 35.5' bumper pull (Octane T-30F) with a full size 3500 crew cab w/8' box, we wanted to know what was there before we got there. Also one thing we noticed on that trip, the Flying J's, Petro's, Love's & TA's generally were running 10 to 25 cents more than other fuel suppliers. We learned to watch the prices of the more local suppliers as we passed them on the freeway & then plan our fuel stop to one of them via the Next Exit book.

One caveat though about the Next Exit book. It is VERY informative of what is at each exit on the Interstates, but it does not cover the US or State hwy's.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #14

When pulling into a gas station for the first time, it's always a good idea to know the absolute height of your trailer, and what the gas station roof covering can accommodate.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
When pulling into a gas station for the first time, it's always a good idea to know the absolute height of your trailer, and what the gas station roof covering can accommodate.

No SXXX! Obvious but true.

Unfortunately with most of this it is nice when planned out but the best laid plans... The station is closed. The station has those nasty yellow bags over the pump handles. The semi with fuel just pulled in and is blocking pumps you need to get to. The price of fuel/gas jumped 20 cents a gallon at this station and there are others with better prices.

I can tell you that you cannot back up with a Jeep hooked up behind you and no room in front.

So, plans are great and info as to the next fuel station is fine but be ready for SNAFU with some backup plans.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote