Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Safest route from Portland, OR to Austin, TX

We're planning to move from Portland, Oregon to Austin, Texas in January 2020. My concern is towing the 5th wheel in the dead of winter and having to deal with snow and ice. I'm also considering a double tow (u-haul) if the numbers work out. My truck is a 4WD w/rear locker and I do have tire chains if needed. I estimate the combined length of the TV and 5'r at about 50' with an estimated combined GVWR around 18K.

Does anyone have experience driving to/from Oregon to Texas in the winter?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

I would recommend heading south on I-5, then east on I-10 in Socal.

You will hit a lot of passes if you head east out of Oregon which will increase your chances of hitting bad road conditions.

We usually do at least one trip every year in January or February to California or Nevada.

We usually take I-5 south and have not run into bad road conditions. Siskyou pass south of Medford hasn't been bad the last few years. Use TripCheck to verify conditions on the passes before you leave, its very useful.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post

You will hit a lot of passes if you head east out of Oregon which will increase your chances of hitting bad road conditions.

We usually do at least one trip every year in January or February to California or Nevada.

We usually take I-5 south and have not run into bad road conditions. Siskyou pass south of Medford hasn't been bad the last few years. Use TripCheck to verify conditions on the passes before you leave, its very useful.
X2 Ben there done that.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post

The other pass you could have an issue with is the grapevine, Caltrans does a good job clearing it. There is nothing fun about pulling thru LA but it is done all the time. Have a safe trip.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #5

X2 on the grapevine, but if you watch the weather and be flexible on you departure time, just cross it during the day.

Not sure on the Nevada to Texas section but I’m sure others will chime in.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

Keep a little flexibility on your departure date. That way you time it between storms. That's worked pretty well for me.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
The other pass you could have an issue with is the grapevine, Caltrans does a good job clearing it. There is nothing fun about pulling thru LA but it is done all the time. Have a safe trip.
Rather than the grapevine, take the 58 over Tehachapi and then at Kramer Junction, 58/395 you can head south to the 15. The other option is to stay on 40 until Needles and take the 95 south. I have done both routes and both are in good shape. No major passes.
There will be some traffic around Kramer Junction depending on the day, as they are now working on the bypass around it.

Todd
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tockert View Post
Rather than the grapevine, take the 58 over Tehachapi and then at Kramer Junction, 58/395 you can head south to the 15. The other option is to stay on 40 until Needles and take the 95 south. I have done both routes and both are in good shape. No major passes.
There will be some traffic around Kramer Junction depending on the day, as they are now working on the bypass around it.

Todd
X2, Avoid LA basin at all costs.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #9

X3. Avoid LA at all costs!! X2 on Tockert's route. On a side note,do not i repeat do not stop for gas in Needles Ca.they are way out of line on the cost!
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote