Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #1

So How's Your Dealers Service Experience?

Caution, ranting and venting ahead...

We bought a new 2021 Alante 29S in September. We were very excited to make the jump from truck camper to a Class A. But it took a few weeks for delivery because during transport to the PNW, the front grille detached and blew into the engine area. So they ordered a new one, and we got to pick up our new camper! During delivery we pointed out some items regarding the grille and they said no problem they'll handle that when it comes in for adjustments after the "shakedown" give us a call and we'll get you right in, they said. Well, our shakedown run wasn't too bad, couple little tweaks and adjustments added to the list and missing items that we found, until we went to drive at night, in the rain, and learned the headlights were horribly misaligned, dim and out of aim as well. Ok, well another thing added to the list. We took it out again the next week to the coast to actually camp and get acquainted with our new ride.
Gave them a call after our second trip and found out we'd have to wait until December 20 to get it in! Wow, was not expecting that! Over 2 month lead to get into the shop? So I took the headlight project on because it was not safe to drive in the fall darkness at all. Did a LED headlight upgrade, but when doing so, I found the wire looms must have been cut when the grill broke because the passenger side was all spade connectors and electrical tape, and the wires were not tied up in any way. Couple more items for the list. So I tried to call and let our service manager know about what we found as well as the items we had for him for our distant appointment, so that they could know what kind of parts we'd need and the sort. He cut me short and said we'd handle it when we dropped it off on our date.

Well we finally get to drop off day, and I tried to get him out from behind the counter so we could do a walk through, he didn't want to do that, rather he wanted me to verbally tell him my list as he'd type them into his ipad, and he'd call later if he had questions. While reading my list, he was surprised, and upset to find out it had to go to ford to get the oil cooler replaced, I said yes, that was item #1 on the we owe document at purchase! And we had the Recall for the Euro-loft bed added to the list while we were waiting to get into the shop-it acted up on delivery so that was supposed to already be on their radar. Anyway he said it'd be about a month, but really he should have it to use around the 13th or 14th.

12/28, I called our Service manager, because we got the engine doghouse recall in the mail, and asked if he'd gotten it, he wanted to know if I wanted to make an appointment, I told him he already had it and to make sure it got handled while it was there. He said no problem.

1/11, Called again to see if our rig was still expected to be ready when he said, just trying to coordinate when to come get it that week. He said sorry no, it was finally going to Ford on the 18th to get an estimate for the oil cooler. and that they hadn't done anything with it yet! Parts are still on order.

1/19, Called this morning and left a message. I had an item I needed to grab out of our RV and would like to come by and grab it. Got a text reply late that day saying no, it's at Ford being evaluated, and that he'd let me know when I could come grab what I needed.

2/5, Still haven't heard anything, so I dropped by to check on progress, and still needed my diagnostic tool from the RV. It's still at Ford and Jayco had just approved the repair, and it should be back late next week, they have everything to do what they need to do and should be able to knock it out quick when it gets back.

lol, I've since borrowed a friends tool, and fixed my wife's Jeep, another story...

2/17, Sent the manager a text (his preferred method of communication) just checking on things. He replied late that day saying they did get it back on Monday, and it's inline to get into the shop after they get done with their current projects. Sorry Ford took longer then they expected. I replied back, Thanks, and did they have an estimate of when we could get it back?

2/19, Got a reply back on text, "As far as timeline goes, I will have a better idea next week", then he will get back to me.

I called our sales guy, who's also an acquaintance from high school and has been really great. He took the story up to our service guy's boss, to see if there's anything that could be done. The Boss's response was that they have 70 more units more than normal since their sales are up 1000%, and nothing they can do. He apologized for it taking forever and was going to stay on top of them the best he could.

Well, sorry for the rant and vent. But is this the kind of service everyone is seeing? I'm just kind of surprised at the service experience with a purchase of this size.

We were, and are still excited about our Jayco, but it has also been frustrating. We'd planned on taking this thing skiing and camping this winter. More than just summer time camping like we did with the truck camper. And we also realized after buying this RV, reservations have been crazy up here in the PNW. We've regretfully had to cancel a couple reservations. All because other than the grille fiasco- the build quality has been fine, and the other squawks we had were minor like; missing screen clips, missing cup holder rubbers and a couple other little tweaks.
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrpilot View Post
Well, sorry for the rant and vent. But is this the kind of service everyone is seeing? I'm just kind of surprised at the service experience with a purchase of this size.
With many dealers, yes. There is a major shortage of quality RV techs and with the boom in sales things just got worse. Also getting parts from most RV manufactures are also issues amid COVID and shortages.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #3

I know, and can see that service is overwhelmed. Man, it just seems that they could do things so much more efficiently. Say okk, you need to come in for XYZ, ok, order the parts, Then come in, get the repairs done, then be on your way. Rather than, ok come in, order parts, park the RV, wait for parts while working around all the other RV's waiting on stuff, parts come in, but can't get it in to work on because something is in the way, waiting on something, blah blah. It's a recipe for disaster. Just didn't know if all the RV shops worked the same way.
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrpilot View Post
Just didn't know if all the RV shops worked the same way.
Most won't order parts until they have the rig to at least look at.

I was fortunate with my dealer that I could take it in to get looked at then take it back home until the parts arrived unless it was something that prevented me from using it. I think that was also because I used the same dealer for almost 40 years and we had a great relationship. I think some others have posted the same results.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
dealers stock in general a lot of parts, but certain parts are hard to come by special if it has to be ordered through the RV mfg. because of warranty.
The players outside the field have a different view than the players.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, dealership, service