Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #11

Yes. There's a huge differece between the "cheap" Surge Protection devices and proper RV class production devices. The better "RV products" are more then just surge protection - which is basic MOV items. The better RV Surge Protection also have a switch inside them. If volts are too low or volts are too high, they also "switch" themselves off (aka: cut all down stream power). And, keep the power off for 2.5+ minutes - while the RV's AC compression de-compresses itself. The "lower end" RV Surge protection doesn't switch off or "time out". They only supress the lows / highs - as much as they can, and remain on. Thus, abusing your TT's AC - if it happen to on at the same time.

When picking an RV Surge protection unit, do read its feature "very carefully". They each have pros / cons. For my next TT (if I replace my current re-built Jayco), I would probably purchase a "hardwired" http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm - for my TT's 30A system. Its one of the better RV Surge Protection, Switch, LED "number display" devices on the market. And, have a solid market reputaton as well.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #12

Spike99, glad to hear your TT was protected from the surge. Here is another story; a friend of mine suffered a lightning strike to his house. He had several good quality, high joules, surge protectors. Even so, he lost a dozen pieces of electronic equipment, and it scared the heck out of him and his family. There are limits to what the surge protectors can do for you. The house insurance covered the loss. In case you're wondering, I do have a surge protector for the TT. They are worth having.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Spike99, glad to hear your TT was protected from the surge. Here is another story; a friend of mine suffered a lightning strike to his house. He had several good quality, high joules, surge protectors. Even so, he lost a dozen pieces of electronic equipment, and it scared the heck out of him and his family. There are limits to what the surge protectors can do for you. The house insurance covered the loss. In case you're wondering, I do have a surge protector for the TT. They are worth having.
Agreed. No surge protector in the world can hold back direct hits and over blistering electrical / lighting strikes. Think I already mention that in one of my above posts. Guess some folks missed that.

If ask for protection or NO protection at typical brown outs and high spike "dirty grid" Camp Ground site, I'll take the protection. RV Surge devices (especially the better devices) are good devices for typical CG dirty grids, and near region electrical hits. I don't leave home without RV Surge Protection. Just like I don't pull a trailer without a spare tire. To me, doing that isn't worth the danger and stick in a bad situation risk either... But, some folks do.... If wondering, I have Main Panel Sugre protection on my home. To me, that hard wired Tier 1 protection is worth its $220 as well. Esepcially for my attached generator - that "can" provide dirty power as well.

As you know, some people don't have to install RV or home panel Surge Protection. Living in a free region of our world, folks don't have to do what they don't want to. But if given a choice (for a small $200 cost), I always recommend RV Surge Protection. And, home's main panel Surge protection as well - even though it cannot take the extreme low risk of a 100% direct lighting bolt hit.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #14

Too many campgrounds are miss-wired. so I have one of these
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rge-guard/2279
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #15

I have the same one that Seann has.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #16

Have the 30 amp one. Was in a cg in Ohio that had a lighening strick. Saved my butt but others were not so lucky.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #17

Any suggestions on how to secure one of the Progressive Industries portable units? It has a metal tab with a hole for locking it to the power pole. Thinking about a cable and 2 padlocks. Can't see how to secure it with just 1 lock.
Cheers,
T_
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Any suggestions on how to secure one of the Progressive Industries portable units? It has a metal tab with a hole for locking it to the power pole. Thinking about a cable and 2 padlocks. Can't see how to secure it with just 1 lock.
Cheers,
T_
Loop the cable around the pole a time or two and secure both ends to the metal tab with one padlock.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #19

I use a combination lock bike cable wrapped around the pedestal. The end of the cable fits right thru the hole in the metal tab.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #20

Any self-respecting thief with bolt cutters can have those in a under a min. that is why when I changed my power cord to a plug in style from the pull out... I put the unit inside my rig... now if it ever needs replacing I will go with the hardwired one.

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote