Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Progressive has a lifetime warranty also. If you can I would suggest you get the hard wired unit, it has a display that will show the condition of the electrical system constantly. You should get the EMS electrical management system not just a surge guard. It is much more common to have other electrical issues rather than surges....ie low voltage, reverse polarity or open neutrals.

Good luck and happy carefree camping !
X2. The unit with the remote display costs more, but is nice to have.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #22

We purchased the surge guard 30 amp last September. Worked fine until last week. The house cord was fused into the surge protector. Can’t figure out why it didn’t shut down or throw a code. It finally cooled off after unplugging from the camp post and was able to get it apart. Surge protector didn’t work after that. Sent it to the factory, their supposed to be sending me a new one. Not sure I would purchase this brand again.
nancyxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #23

Surge Protector

Do not skimp on getting a good surge protector! As others' have mentioned, good models have additional, important features. We have a Surge Guard and it cost about $275 (2017). We have friends who didn't want to spend the money on a surge protector and ruined their electrical system at a bad outlet. Just yesterday, we pulled into a site, plugged it in and got a message about "reverse polarity" - had to move to another site. We plug that in first thing and wait for green light before doing any other set-up. Consider it an insurance policy.
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #24

Im kind of reluctant to buy a hard wire one, Im thinking that if one day , the gizmo goes bezerk ... you are stuck with no power in the trailer .... but I could be wrong if there is a way to bypass it, so tell me can you bypass the hard wired unit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Progressive has a lifetime warranty also. If you can I would suggest you get the hard wired unit, it has a display that will show the condition of the electrical system constantly. You should get the EMS electrical management system not just a surge guard. It is much more common to have other electrical issues rather than surges....ie low voltage, reverse polarity or open neutrals.

Good luck and happy carefree camping !

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Im kind of reluctant to buy a hard wire one, Im thinking that if one day , the gizmo goes bezerk ... you are stuck with no power in the trailer .... but I could be wrong if there is a way to bypass it, so tell me can you bypass the hard wired unit ?
Page 3, Bypass switch.

SURGE PROTECTOR INFO.pdf
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #26

So all is good thanks :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Page 3, Bypass switch.

Attachment 43068

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #27

Protection

I’ve worked in the power industry for many years, high voltage is very rare, unlike low voltage, which can be very prevalent especially around a campground with 100 air conditioners running. I see things I like, but as someone said we all have our “I” stuff plugged in, and refrigerators. What I use to install for people were power conditioner which has an internal battery the kicks in when power fluctuates. It keeps you with a steady voltage until the battery runs low, so you have time to unplug. Are there units like this, it shows voltage amps and such. That’s a unit I would be interested in. Hint on voltage - regular power companies usually will have voltage from 118-120v, if an electric coop providing electricity 120-124v.
JKnox8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #28

Bypass Switch = No Protection

This is why I have a portable PT50X. Actually I have two of them - one for full time use and the other as a spare when the primary one has an issue and has to go back for repair, etc. And when one of them gets smoked, I would feel better that it is smoking outside, vs in my basement.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Bypass Switch = No Protection

This is why I have a portable PT50X. Actually I have two of them - one for full time use and the other as a spare when the primary one has an issue and has to go back for repair, etc. And when one of them gets smoked, I would feel better that it is smoking outside, vs in my basement.
Your choice. Last sentence says surge protection is still there, not the other options.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Instead of running shore power straight to EMS I added extra sets of plugs / connectors that I can bypass the EMS entirely if needed.

I am considering running a surge protector before the EMS, so the EMS's board doesn't take the hit.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #31

We bought Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C on Amazon. It's the hardwired version. It's not difficult to install yourself. We camped the first year without one and had our microwave and coffee maker zapped. Thankfully, we were still under warranty. We haven't blown a single fuse since installation. Definitely worth keeping your RV investment safe.
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Portable Electrical Management System - 30 Amp
Leesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyxray View Post
We purchased the surge guard 30 amp last September. Worked fine until last week. The house cord was fused into the surge protector. Can’t figure out why it didn’t shut down or throw a code. It finally cooled off after unplugging from the camp post and was able to get it apart. Surge protector didn’t work after that. Sent it to the factory, their supposed to be sending me a new one. Not sure I would purchase this brand again.
Which Surge Guard 30 amp model was it? The different models sell for anywhere from $70 up to $250.

Depending on the reason for the heat the unit may or may not shut down power. If there is a loose connection or a high resistance connection (i.e. oxidation, dirt, corrosion on the contact surfaces of either the male or female side of the plug) the heat generated from even normal current/voltage may not shut down most units but char the prongs.

A good practice when arriving to a campsite is to examine the condition of the plug on the power post (minimal sights of overheat and charring), switch off the circuit breaker at the post before plugging in your power cord or surge protection and keep the surfaces of the prongs on your equipment clean and bright.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #33

I have a Hughes Autoformer. Protects against low voltage, etc. Expensive, but worth it IMHO.
Wisco Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #34

What ever your preference is, plugin, hard wired, $, $$$, at least you have something protecting your RV.

It seems there are a lot of bad plugs at the power post being noted.

Get the best protector that your budget can handle, it's a fairly cheap insurance policy.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #35

50 vs 30 surge protector

I have 50 amp service to my trailer which I reduce to 30 amp with an adaptor because that is all I need and a 30 amp cord is so much easier to deal with. Am I correct that using a 30 surge protector at the campground post will work for my situation.

Thanks in advance
AJP207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP207 View Post
I have 50 amp service to my trailer which I reduce to 30 amp with an adaptor because that is all I need and a 30 amp cord is so much easier to deal with. Am I correct that using a 30 surge protector at the campground post will work for my situation.

Thanks in advance
You are aware you will less than 1/3 of the available power (wattage) of your 50 amp service.
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesway View Post
We bought Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C on Amazon. It's the hardwired version. It's not difficult to install yourself. We camped the first year without one and had our microwave and coffee maker zapped. Thankfully, we were still under warranty. We haven't blown a single fuse since installation. Definitely worth keeping your RV investment safe.
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Portable Electrical Management System - 30 Amp
If I have read Progressive Industries warranty correctly, unless the hard wired unit is installed by a qualified rv dealer, the warranty is void
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #38

[QUOTE=Oma/opa;676950]If I have read Progressive Industries warranty correctly, unless the hard wired unit is installed by a qualified rv dealer, the warranty is void[/QUOTE

I wired mine in myself and I can tell you I'm a lot more qualified than most of the so called RV tech's in the business.

Pretty hard to tell me it's a problem I caused if it fails, when it's been installed for 2+ years and no issues.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #39

I wanted to let people know that the surge guard company sent us a new surge protector. We were well within the warranty but you just never know. Very easy to work with. Got the new one in about 10 days. Not sure what happened to it, but very thankful the company stands by their warranty since it cost $325.
nancyxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #40
Site Team

Yesterday we were in the rig and both ac's were running. We heard a change in the fan motor and then bam, both went off.

The PT50c shut my power down. My neighbor had a fan running outside and said he also heard the fan slow down about the same time my power shut off.

We did not see any error on the indicator but the pedestal breaker was fine.

We un-plugged and re-plugged it and all came back fine.

I think the ems saw a low voltage situation and shut the power down.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote