Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I have a few Asian friends that go camping and have come across a few in our travels. That said I don't think camping is a big part of Asian culture in general but I'm not sure why.

I think it’s because many don’t like being outdoors (actually they don’t want any sun exposure). They want to keep their skin as fair as possible. At least I know that is how the Vietnamese feel.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #22

Welcome from Ohio! Can't say that I pay attention to race, just meet alot of great people.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I think it’s because many don’t like being outdoors (actually they don’t want any sun exposure). They want to keep their skin as fair as possible. At least I know that is how the Vietnamese feel.
God forbid they should look like us !
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
We're not great campers tho. In 2 years, we've never turned on the inside or outside stove - wife refuses to cook on vacation and we love restaurants.
I am sure you can say the same about us, on our first trip we did not do a campfire, the ring was too close to my truck for my comfort and we eat out once a day. Since we brought our trailer the weather has not been how we would like to spend time outside, in fact over thanksgiving is was very wet and we spent more time with the family at the in laws second home.

Basically if camping to you is eating out then that does not make you "not great campers" that is just they way you enjoy your camping. Keep enjoying your time off how you like and don't worry about what makes a great camper.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #25

Quote:
An element of this is that working outdoors as a laborer, exposed to the sun, is considered menial labor for those that aren't educated or born into a wealth class.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #26

The Asian Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I found this funny because I use to attend a Korean church (part of my Korean language study). One Sunday a couple came in (he's a white American she's Korean) and after the church service we spent some time talking. Somehow the subject of vehicles came up and I mentioned that I had a Chevy Silverado. His comment to me was something on the order of "I was wondering what Korean was driving that Silverado in the parking lot"...not . Actually I was the only one in the congregation that drove a truck. I've never seen any of my Asian friend driving a truck. Another one of those culturing things.

To go with the sun element, and to explain the church people reaction, is that the truck is associated with "working class".

Asians typically care about status, and try to avoid the images associated with the working class.

For me, the truck is bad...
Old 11-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #27

The Asian Camper

Quote:
To go with the sun element, and to explain the church people reaction, is that the truck is associated with "working class".

Asians typically care about status, and try to avoid the images associated with the working class.

I’m with you! The truck is bad...

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Come down here to Texas. You’ll see plenty. I know one that lives in Magnolia and he drives a super duty as well. [emoji3]
This might be more of a "Texas" thing.

I've known MANY people who comment on how many trucks there are on the roads here. It's something you just don't see many other places. This is "truck country" for sure!!

I have to admit, I feel a little out of place since I traded in my truck on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I also live and work in rural ag country, so trucks (dirty ones with hay and/or a welder and/or a dog, etc in the back) are the clear majority. And LOTS of those are clients of mine, and you can trust me when I tell you they could well afford a "nice" vehicle if they wanted one. Nothing like seeing a guy in oil and diesel coated cover-alls hop out of a 80-something dodge that probably should have been scrapped decades ago knowing he has millions in liquid assets at his disposal.

OTOH, my JGC is 4-wd with a low-speed transfer case, and while I haven't had it "off road" yet, I will soon enough. Then I'll fit in a little better ... until DW gets it washed...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm asian and so is my family.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen any other asian campers out there, because in 2 years, I haven't. We've been from NY all the way down to FL and camped 55 days in 2 years.

And here in PA, I did confirm with the Ford dealership that I was the first asian in their history to buy a Super Duty truck.
I’m here brother ! Been camping since I was a Boy Scout, never seen too many Asians enjoying the outdoor sports myself lol
Attached Thumbnails
90AF6FF3-AD11-4165-A910-C77737FBCA89.jpg   B01D1AD7-78A6-4664-ADC0-1628E479DD03.jpeg   316B7336-F30B-47D0-BED9-54872F76459C.jpg  
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by denn888 View Post
I’m here brother ! Been camping since I was a Boy Scout, never seen too many Asians enjoying the outdoor sports myself lol
Hey denn888, you in Suffolk or Nassau? I'm in Suffolk. We've stayed at a few county parks but my wife's favorite is Smith's Point.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #31

In Nassau, we’ve been to ELIK in Greenport, haven’t stayed at Smiths Point
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #32

In MN in the fall I'd estimate the majority of campers I meet in the state parks are Asian. Predominantly Hmong and Vietnamese. In fact, at any of the parks around here with decent fishing we meet a lot of Asian campers and fishermen year-round.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denn888 View Post
Nice! We have similar type RV as well!

Assuming u go upstate NY? Lake George and Finger Lakes are our annual destinations.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #34

Quote:

When I saw this thread it was a curiousity kills the cat and I had to click on it to see what this was going to be about.

As far as the truck being a bad thing because it associated with "working class" image, move to Michigan. That'll fix that problem. Up here being associated with working class is a good thing compared to being associated with NON working class. If it's being looked at from the other angle of the wealthy (rich and shameless) drive fancy cars, you'll really be confused. For example, my working class neighbor has parked in his driveway a new F-150 platinum and right next to it is his Cadillac CTS. My Working class mom and dad's garage, Silverado, Traverse, and a $100K Corvette. I'm not even going to go into what's in their barn. Lol!

Back to your original post of Asians camping, of all the campgrounds we've been to in this state, we've never seen any other than a couple around home here locally. It's like black people and winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, etc. It's not that we don't have those people around, they just don't do it. And for the ones like you that do those things that are out of the norm for your race, God bless you for doing something different!

We were camping at a local state park this past year and had a good size family of Asians at a site across from us. They were tent campers and had a pretty nice set up, so this wasn't their first time camping. It was funny because they kept looking over our way the whole weekend. The water tap was at the front corner of our site and only one man would come over and get some water and did that quite often. Now, most people around here will make a funny comment about something to you to break the ice to strike up a conversation because we all have the same sense of humor. Next thing you know you've been jaw jacking for a couple of hours and made a new friend. I wanted to break the ice with this man getting water, but sometimes I say things that don't come out exactly right and I didn't want to say something that would offend this guy. You could say I'm ethnically challenged. So I said to this man that he is a smart man choosing a nice spot like his being close to the water tap. He responded back in fairly good English that it would be less work if he had a trailer like mine. I laughed back and said not so. The bigger the trailer the more work. I have a 44' Northpoint 5th wheel. Through the weekend we saw them on bike rides and said hi and helped their one little boy at the tap because he wasn't strong enough to turn it on. Here's the funny part. The campground has a shooting range for bow and arrow, shotgun and handgun. Us and the other couple we were camping with brought quite the arsenal of guns and ammo. Most people there are weekend campers. Late Saturday afternoon we went shooting and when we got back we had a lot of guns to clean. We had guns taken apart laid out all over the place. Now we are really getting looks from them, along with a lot of other passers by. They were the only ones to come over and talk about guns and shooting with us. Go figure, the one thing most people associate as being bad ends up being a great conversation with an Asian family.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Nice! We have similar type RV as well!

Assuming u go upstate NY? Lake George and Finger Lakes are our annual destinations.
We've been to North/South lake campground, Kayuta Lake and Lake George RV park so far, havent made it to the Finger Lakes area yet.....
Old 12-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #36
Site Team

I can get along with most anyone who wants to be got along with!

We have met a ton of friends camping. This year we got a Happy Thanksgiving card from a black family we met last year in Myrtle beach.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #37

I think the OP should change his user name to " The Asian Camper" LOL. I have seen a fair amount of Asian campers around Provincial Parks in the Southern Ontario area. I think most of them are from the Toronto area and head out on weekends for a "nature getaway." I haven't seen many, if any, rolling around in a Super Duty with a big rig on the back though. Most of the time it seems like there are 25 people on a single site with electrical cords everywhere powering a bunch of small appliances, and Honda CRVs packed to the roof with stuff.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I can get along with most anyone who wants to be got along with!
I feel the same way.

This thread made me think of a family who were camping up the road from us in Colorado this summer. In addition to the parents and a couple teenagers, mother/mother-in-law was along as well. They had two big tents, cooked over the open fire and really appeared to be enjoying themselves.

It was the week before school started so the teenagers were making the most of their last week of freedom. They had kayaks, were hiking all over the campground, laughing a lot and really enjoying themselves. I enjoyed watching them.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #39

You have travel trailer?

Why not Class A?
Adam9280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #40

Asian campers

My wife is Filipino and loves camping. We have a 2017 Greyhawlk
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote