Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #21

Selecting the bits I want to respond to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
And when I was a kid, my parents were the ones who forced me to "clean my plate", and the food back then wasn't exactly good for us as we didn't have a lot of money at the time (healthy food can be more expensive by volume than garbage food). So I didn't really learn good, healthy eating habits from a young age.
I think that is true of a lot of people of a certain generation, given the ages of our kids are similar I am willing to bet we are with in 10 years of age with me being born in 1978. My parents were just the same, I used to get told there are starving kids in africa who would love this food, I can not leave food on a plate.

Quote:
Since I've been overweight all my life, it's not like I don't know what needs to be done. I know full and well HOW to lose weight, HOW to live healthier, but I'm just not good at DOING it.

Funny story about that: A buddy of mine and I were talking one day and he said "Do you know how much cholesterol whole milk has in it?!" I said "Sure I do, and there's lots of sugar and fat in it too. You didn't know that?" He asked me how I knew, and I told him "I've been overweight my whole adult life, I've learned more about nutrition and what's in food than any normal person should have to learn". He said he's never had to worry about weight, so he never really looked at what was in his food. How nice for him...

No excuses here, it just is what it is.
Again same I have in the past managed to lose weight and a significant amount, over that time I have learnt a lot I do feel like the problems I need to conquer are more habit and mental than the physical act of getting healthier, that said I do have Diabetes (it runs in the family and my 95yo grandmother has had it forever while still eating what she wants). I have found that there is a lot of sugar in all American foods, I notice how less sweet even candy bars and deserts are when we go to the UK, the portion sizes are also smaller which helps with the not leaving food on a plate I gained about 60 pounds when I moved here over time (I also have aged 15 years in that time as well).

Quote:
But here's one thing I'd like to say to the OP and some of the others here. Don't judge. You don't know what those people have been through. You don't know what their daily life is like. You don't know if they have unseen barriers that make things like staying fit and healthy more difficult. I agree, it's difficult to watch people just sit around and stuff themselves silly, seemingly exasperating their health problems, but it's not your place to judge them for it. I hate to think what you think of me sitting in my campsite enjoying a couple of beers in the evening, even though I just spent the entire day chasing my kid all over the river burning a couple thousand calories...

Just be a good neighbor, a good friend and/or a good example.
I could not agree more, we all go through things that can be stressful we all have different ways of dealing with it and most of us know it is not good for us.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #22

The RV lifestyle and obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Well, I've seen it written, some people care, because they will be paying for those people's future healthcare in increased medical premiums for all.

..."In addition to growing health care costs attributed to obesity, the nation will incur higher costs for disability and unemployment benefits. Businesses are suffering due to obesity-related job absenteeism ($4.3 billion annually). These costs also will continue to rise."
http://www.healthycommunitieshealthy...ts-of-obesity/

So do you judge others for this reason?

I’ve seen it written, Judge not, that ye be not judged... from a more important source.

Matthew 7:1-3
King James Version
7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Just in case you didn't notice, I didn't write that article. Just passing along information that is a concern for many people and healthcare providers. This isn't a secret, for those in the healthcare profession.

But, shoot the messenger, if you want to "judge".
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Just in case you didn't notice, I didn't write that article. Just passing along information that is a concern for many people and healthcare providers. This isn't a secret, for those in the healthcare profession.

But, shoot the messenger, if you want to "judge".

Don’t get defensive lol... I asked if you judged and didn’t assume/judge so no shooting a messenger here. No one else who posted who seemed concerned stated your reason so why quote and state stuff u don’t feel? Maybe preface you post a little...?

Yeah it’s no secret but same can be said about people who smoke and do other things.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:25 AM   #25
Site Team

I'm loving both lifestyles! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #26

Losing weight, like many other things is a mindset. 12 years ago I tipped the scales at 262. I'm 6'2'' and didn't look all that bad but I was lethargic and tired most of the time. I was 51 at the time and decided it was time for a change so I changed my eating habits and today I weigh 160. It took 8 months to lose the 102lbs and I didn't do it by counting calories but rather looking at the fat content in the food I was consuming. Losing weight is one of the hardest things to accomplish as it takes a huge amount of discipline but can be done by making a decision and sticking to it no matter what others are doing/eating around you.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Losing weight, like many other things is a mindset. 12 years ago I tipped the scales at 262. I'm 6'2'' and didn't look all that bad but I was lethargic and tired most of the time. I was 51 at the time and decided it was time for a change so I changed my eating habits and today I weigh 160. It took 8 months to lose the 102lbs and I didn't do it by counting calories but rather looking at the fat content in the food I was consuming. Losing weight is one of the hardest things to accomplish as it takes a huge amount of discipline but can be done by making a decision and sticking to it no matter what others are doing/eating around you.
Wow, that is an impressive weight loss. I fully appreciate the dedication that it took to lose that weight and keep it off.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post

I’ve seen it written, Judge not, that ye be not judged... from a more important source.

Matthew 7:1-3
King James Version
7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Taken out of context. That is to say that if you are going to judge be ready for the judgement to come back. It doesn't mean don't judge, it means looks at yourself too and readily accept the judgement of others on you.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #29

As I stated before, none of this is about judging people. It was a question of the chicken and the egg... does the RV lifestyle cause it or attract it? There is certainly a higher concentration of overweight people RVing than when I'm out and about in regular general public places.

There are a thousand reasons to judge other people, and no, none of them are justified. No need to get your guards up and start throwing rocks in this thread; it's a point for discussion in general terms and no one being singled out or judged.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
Taken out of context. That is to say that if you are going to judge be ready for the judgement to come back. It doesn't mean don't judge, it means looks at yourself too and readily accept the judgement of others on you.

Not taken out of context at all. It most certainly means you should not judge others... Not here to be date that. And it’s Gods judgement that matters, not yours, mine or the next persons...

Have a great day!
Old 08-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #31

Activity more often than not dictates the condition of the participants. When an activity dictates someone be in good physical health/shape to participate successfully then you’ll see many more people in good physical shape. Rock climbing, mountain biking, serious hiking, GP Moto, cross country running, skiing, surfing, and all the other athletically demanding hobbies all but require a certain type of person to participate if success is desired. Sitting in an RV park observing the majority of people gives you the same crosscut of society as going to the local grocery store or any other public gathering place. Camping only requires the ability to afford it and enjoy it. The vast majority of America is overweight and unhealthy, even if they don’t personally realize it or deny it. The steady increase of obese people is alarming and of course it’s spilling over into all factions of life so you just notice it more.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
As I stated before, none of this is about judging people. It was a question of the chicken and the egg... does the RV lifestyle cause it or attract it? There is certainly a higher concentration of overweight people RVing than when I'm out and about in regular general public places.

There are a thousand reasons to judge other people, and no, none of them are justified. No need to get your guards up and start throwing rocks in this thread; it's a point for discussion in general terms and no one being singled out or judged.
What is interesting here is that my experiences have been the opposite. I have seen less overweight people camping, not to say that I have seen none but compared to the general population in my area I would say that RVers tend to be on the healthier end of the scale. I wonder if there is a regional variance.

I do think this thread is having a positive impact at least it is getting me thinking about my lifestyle and the decisions I am making with my life. But as a previous poster has said it is an extremely difficult journey to take. For me the hardest journey, which is saying a lot considering I am very Dyslexic and I got to University before being assessed or that I moved to the US from the UK knowing no one or any thing and functioning as a useful member of the country, among other things.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Activity more often than not dictates the condition of the participants. When an activity dictates someone be in good physical health/shape to participate successfully then you’ll see many more people in good physical shape. Rock climbing, mountain biking, serious hiking, GP Moto, cross country running, skiing, surfing, and all the other athletically demanding hobbies all but require a certain type of person to participate if success is desired. Sitting in an RV park observing the majority of people gives you the same crosscut of society as going to the local grocery store or any other public gathering place. Camping only requires the ability to afford it and enjoy it. The vast majority of America is overweight and unhealthy, even if they don’t personally realize it or deny it. The steady increase of obese people is alarming and of course it’s spilling over into all factions of life so you just notice it more.
Although as far as I am aware the US is the worst, it is a problem in most countries considered Western.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
Although as far as I am aware the US is the worst, it is a problem in most countries considered Western.
It’s just a matter of convenience. Things are just too easy and convenient which isn’t always a bad thing but it is also a double edge sword. Fast cheap food that’s cheaper and easier to obtain than healthy food doesn’t help. Everything you desire is a click or call away, delivered to your door, to your car and to your table with ease. Unless you just mentally want to be in shape these days there isn’t a need for it to survive in Western society. It’s not like it was when you had to “earn” your lifestyle in a physical way (hunt/harvest your food, chop wood for heat, repair house and maintain your own property, etc). Now as long as you make enough money you can hire out almost every service you can imagine. Your food is at the grocery store in neat plastic wrappers, someone a phone call away will cut your grass, fix your car, fix your camper, paint your house, deliver goods to you, deliver firewood chopped and stacked, even wash and dry your clothes (you could go the extra mile and hire a live in maid/nanny and really kick back). We live in an exciting and innovative era but a price is being paid because nothing comes free and without consequence. Unfortunately our good physical and mental health are part of that cost.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #35

Quote:
It’s just a matter of convenience. Things are just too easy and convenient which isn’t always a bad thing but it is also a double edge sword. Fast cheap food that’s cheaper and easier to obtain than healthy food doesn’t help. Everything you desire is a click or call away, delivered to your door, to your car and to your table with ease. Unless you just mentally want to be in shape these days there isn’t a need for it to survive in Western society. It’s not like it was when you had to “earn” your lifestyle in a physical way (hunt/harvest your food, chop wood for heat, repair house and maintain your own property, etc). Now as long as you make enough money you can hire out almost every service you can imagine. Your food is at the grocery store in neat plastic wrappers, someone a phone call away will cut your grass, fix your car, fix your camper, paint your house, deliver goods to you, deliver firewood chopped and stacked, even wash and dry your clothes (you could go the extra mile and hire a live in maid/nanny and really kick back). We live in an exciting and innovative era but a price is being paid because nothing comes free and without consequence. Unfortunately our good physical and mental health are part of that cost.
We maybe going way OT here and risk getting shut down. I think you are hitting the nail on the head here. Even in my childhood things seemed different (trying not to view the past with rose coloured glasses). It seems to me like although we have all these conveniences we have less time as a society so we need the time savings, and the more time we save the less we have. There are I am sure many reasons for it, I do look at my life and wonder where the time goes, I never seem to have enough to balance all my priorities, I just sort things out to the highest priorities.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
We maybe going way OT here and risk getting shut down. I think you are hitting the nail on the head here. Even in my childhood things seemed different (trying not to view the past with rose coloured glasses). It seems to me like although we have all these conveniences we have less time as a society so we need the time savings, and the more time we save the less we have. There are I am sure many reasons for it, I do look at my life and wonder where the time goes, I never seem to have enough to balance all my priorities, I just sort things out to the highest priorities.
Agreed, I just try to stay in my lane and keep off the soapbox as much as possible. It’s a triggered society and people have a tendency to get offended and defensive when something doesn’t match their way of thinking. We’ve gotten softer and softer as each generation became more and more less self sufficient. Our founders And forefathers worked hard and dangerous lives to make their way in this world. The pendulum has now swung far to the other side of that reality and eventually/hopefully it will swing back and settle somewhere more toward an even balance?
Old 08-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #37

I don't think the societal observations are all that far off-track as they relate to the OP's observation. It seems to me that RVing is simply a cross-section of society. The primary difference being that walking through a campground, you're seeing right into peoples' living rooms, so to speak.

Also, I don't think it's RV'ing that causes people to be overweight. Or that overweight people tend to RV more. Not in general anyway. But that's far from scientific. Trying to assign cause/effect to casual observation gets tricky sometimes. Personally, I have not observed a significant enough difference in the RV population versus the general population to say one way or the other. But then, I tend not to notice such things in general, so I would have to make extra effort to make that observation. Which I won't do because like someone else said, so long as you're not bothering me or anyone else, I probably won't notice you, which is the way I would prefer it.

Personally though, this thread has made me think a little more critically about my habits, and more specifically about my eating habits, when on the road OR at home.

I also think there could be some value to dedicating a section or thread topic to maintaining a healthy lifestyle while RVing? I know there are sites and BLOGS that specialize in that, but it might be nice to have something here...? Just thinking in text I guess... All you folks who maintain healthy lifestyles while on the road could offer your success stories, tactics, recipes, ideas, etc. I wonder if there would be an audience here for something like that...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #38

Nice analogy Bob, “seeing into their living rooms”, that’s so very true. I’ve learned a lot about fellow people just watching how they cope when it’s all out in the open.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Nice analogy Bob, “seeing into their living rooms”, that’s so very true. I’ve learned a lot about fellow people just watching how they cope when it’s all out in the open.
"People-watching" is one of my favorite pastimes. I find peoples' behavior absolutely fascinating, especially when they think no one is looking...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #40

Quote:
I also think there could be some value to dedicating a section or thread topic to maintaining a healthy lifestyle while RVing? I know there are sites and BLOGS that specialize in that, but it might be nice to have something here...? Just thinking in text I guess... All you folks who maintain healthy lifestyles while on the road could offer your success stories, tactics, recipes, ideas, etc. I wonder if there would be an audience here for something like that...?
I like that idea. Like most Americans, I could stand to lose a few (or more than a few) pounds. We have a sub-forum in Jayco Life for campfire cooking. Maybe a healthy lifestyle section would fit there?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote