Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #81

Honest answer? Obesity comes first. An RV will actually allow someone with significant disabilities that may contribute to obesity to get out where they can actually move more. Of course, this is assuming that is the individual's goal. In my case my allergies and asthma combined with deteriorating arthritic joints have conspired to make walking and exercising in town difficult. Hiking soft trails reduces impact on my joints. The air away from the pollution of the city allows me to go further and breathe better, which allows me to move more. We are healthier outside. However, because of the deterioration I am experiencing, setting up a tent and a camp has become nearly impossible. Camp set up in an RV takes a fraction of the time and I can spend the energy getting away from the campsite instead. I always feel much better after a couple weeks outside of the city. If I could afford to simply relocate to a place away from the city I would. Barring that option, an RV gives me a way to get what I need. Please understand, not everyone who is obese lives an excessive lifestyle. There are many physical causes of obesity that have nothing to do with laziness or excess.
Tommyscat1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #82

I am 72, crippled in my right side, get around with a 4 wheel walker, and don't like physical effort because of arthritis in both knees. So I got lots of excuses. I've dropped 22 pounds in the fiver. Been in it since early November. 3 months almost. I try to do one thing every day. It may be dump the tanks, change the water filter, whatever. As long as it does something.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 PM   #83
Site Team

We always take our pup camping with us, and he makes sure we walk ALL over the campgrounds so he can smell every square inch.....twice. He makes sure we get some exercise in a few times a day. That's usually good for a couple of lost pounds in a week. I deal with the aftermath of spinal compressions, and my left leg is numb, so a cane is my constant companion when away from the TT.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
That being said, we saw that an estimated 3/4 or more of the guests that stayed there were obese. This brought me to the question of which came first?
I'm fairly certain that 75% of this country is at least overweight, if not obese. Being in a campground just lets you see other people that you wouldn't otherwise see. They were obese long before they got an RV.

Ever been to an RV show? I wonder how these people fit fit down the middle of some of these campers, or fit in the shower or on the toilet.

I wonder how the beds support them too. I'm not a tiny guy, I'm 6-04 and 245 lbs, and my wife is 5-03 115 lbs. Its interesting, my BMI puts me in the overweight category (no surprise there), but 20 years ago when I completed police academy I weight 225 and was in great shape... but my BMI would have still been in the overweight category?

Anyway, the two of us together are 360 lbs. Our bed is just a 3/8" or 1/2" piece of plywood with a couple of strips of 2x2 glued on the bottom. I quickly beefed that up by adding a support rail underneath. But I look at some couples where they are EACH over 300 lbs and wonder how its gonna work. Usually they are looking at ultralights too!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
When I was a kid we went camping and I don't ever recall seeing obese people. When we camp you have to buy and cook the food.

Today our winter adventures are taking cruises. You know the stuff, eating all day long and its free food. If you want to see obese, go on a cruise.

One of my other hobbies is boating. Today kayaks are all the rage. The most predominant kayaker is a fat lady. I just can't get over it.
We had one of those type "kayakers" on our lake. She started kayaking a couple years ago.
She is no longer a "fat lady". She started kayaking and doing other activities to become more healthier. It worked.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #86

Obesity issues

From the FWIW department:

I'm 72, Veteran. I'm not in the best shape, but I'm 5'9" and 172lbs. 33 inch waist.

All my adult life I have been lucky enough to control my eating habits. I almost always have well balanced meals. Meaning servings of protein, starch and a veggie. One hard and fast rule for me is I never have a second helping of anything. Controlling the initial serving is a balancing act. Not too much, not too little.

Lots of tricks to control in take like chewing slowly. Taste the meal, the consistency and enjoy the aroma. Use a smaller fork or spoon. Stop eating before you feel full. Have a conversation during the meal. Breaking bread with loved ones is a celebration.

I have some underlying health issues....Parkinsons and neuropathy, thanks to DaNang, class of 1969 and agent orange... Exercise is sometimes difficult at best. However, I force myself to move. Maybe from one room to another, maybe from further distances. Just move.

As I said, I've been very fortunate to be able to be able to live like this. Some people aren't so lucky.

Please try not to judge people who are less fortunate ......
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #87

Probably many of us know of someone who is less fortunate. It would also be my guess that most of us sympathize with them and support them in any way we can.

As previously pointed out, the majority of us are overweight. Half of my own family (me included) have more pounds on than we should. You might call us fat, but we are not obese. That's a special case in itself.

Every time I go to a buffet I see obese people. You know the ones - they come back to the table with TWO heaping plates, and then come back for more. At the end they don't just have a piece of pie, they have 4 complete desserts. Hard not to judge people like that.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Please try not to judge people who are less fortunate ......

Thank you.

We have a special needs son who's also overweight too.

Judge not lest ye'...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #89

Interesting topic. I am actually one of the "fortunate" ones who cannot put on weight, even if I try the hardest. Despite being thin at 165 lb and 6'1, I have prediabetes, due to type II running in the family. This creates problems for me, because whenever I go to the doctor, they are not taking my health problems seriously, because I do not fit the typical profile.

Second, a few years ago I had bowel surgery. I lost 15 lb in 1 1/2 weeks, and it took me 3 months to get back to normal. So, for those of you with a few more pounds, sometimes when you are sick it is good to have a little extra "buffer". That's why nature designed it that way .

As to camping, I love it partly because I am so much more active than when I am at work. I start with a 1 hour bike ride in the morning, when the wife and kids are still asleep. I have no problems getting 15,000-20,000 steps in a day, without much trying, while it is difficult and takes effort to get to even 10,000 when at work. I think camping is great for being active, and I am sure there would be less obesity if people would do more camping.

Finally, to the judgemental part. Since I can eat whatever I want without gaining weight, I have no idea how difficult it is to try to lose weight. My wife is struggling with trying to lose weight, so I can see it from her perspective, although she sometimes gets mad at me that I lose weight without even trying. I have definitely learned about the genetic part of metabolism and would never judge anyone for being overweight or underweight.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote