Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #21

We decided against that size of a trailer all in line withe pushing the envelope on towing. We are going to check out some smaller trailers, I want to start comparing brands and seeing who builds the better quality camper on my own. Hopefully in a month or two we can really see who has the best product. We like our x23b and I like the way Jayco builds things but we want to see what the brands do as well.
eodcoduto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodcoduto View Post
We decided against that size of a trailer all in line withe pushing the envelope on towing. We are going to check out some smaller trailers . . .
Good call. We've been in your shoes numerous times---trying to match a truck to a TT based on a TT's OEM manufacturer's specs. It's a crap-shoot---even for those who have been in your shoes half-a-dozen times. Too bad dealers don't allow customers to test drive a prospective TT down to the local CAT scale before purchase, or better yet, have portable scales on-site to help their customers be safe. IMO, even the most reputable dealers would be surprised how many TT's they sell are being pulled off their lots by tow vehicles that are overloaded.

You did the best thing and asked for input here on JOG. Good luck and be safe!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Good call. We've been in your shoes numerous times---trying to match a truck to a TT based on a TT's OEM manufacturer's specs. It's a crap-shoot---even for those who have been in your shoes half-a-dozen times. Too bad dealers don't allow customers to test drive a prospective TT down to the local CAT scale before purchase, or better yet, have portable scales on-site to help their customers be safe. IMO, even the most reputable dealers would be surprised how many TT's they sell are being pulled off their lots by tow vehicles that are overloaded.

You did the best thing and asked for input here on JOG. Good luck and be safe!
The portable scales wouldn't be a bad idea and wouldn't cost that much to get going either. You could always flag down a DOT car and see if they would hook you up!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #24

We also had a 2011 X19 H loved it at first as fit the needs did alot of looking and got a 25BH hits all the buttons and then some
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #25

"The wife likes it better". End of discussion!! LOL
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #26

Our First camping experience was last August 2018 We took delivery of a new Jayco Jayflight 38FDDS. Just started season 2 , so far WE love it... Wife thinks its a second home.... King Bed, Huge living room , nice kitchen. We have not missed a weekend / holiday since last August...

Never towed it , had it dropped at our Camp Ground. It would max out my Dodge Ram 1500 Tow capacity. So I never bothered to buy a hitch.

We have a seasonal site at the Jersey Shore. Rate include year round storage full hook up . pool etc... 3 miles from the Ocean.... wooded sites …..
Opened up Friday evening and shut down Sunday every weekend in 5 min process......

Pre purchase I shopped Uship Was quoted 400 to 600 per move in the North East... .... if we decide to go elsewhere... for a season or even a month....
Hangar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #27

We were in the same boat as you, and faced a very similar decision. We upgraded at the end of last season and don't regret it one bit. We've already camped 3 weekends this spring that we would not have been able to in our hybrid. Looking back, it's hard to believe that I struggled with that decision. Despite the ease of towing and ability to get into any campsite, there are just too many drawbacks to a hybrid, and I don't think we'll ever go back to one. In my opinion, upgrading is well worth it.
Wisco Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #28

Throw Baby Out with the Bathwater

Seems to me if your main complaint is the bed comfort, you need to buy a memory foam mattress. The toppers are crap, move around and just do NOT offer the same comfort.
brandsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #29

Its not just the beds, we love the camper but we know that camping is our pastime and we want to get deeper into it. Its the same philosophy that I tell guys when buying their first motorcycle. Get what you want because you will be there eventually.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #30

Smile

Quote:
We aren't dead set on that design but it checks all the boxes for us, but as we found when shopping for the Hybrid, we started in one direction and ended up in another. We definitely want slide outs to have some walking room when the rain keeps us camper bound on weekends.
After many years in a pop up we went with a hybrid. Had it one year and went to a Jay feather 23 rlsw and very happy we did. Sick of wet canvas, making up beds, and so on. Should have done this years ago.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #31

Quote:
We decided against that size of a trailer all in line withe pushing the envelope on towing. We are going to check out some smaller trailers, I want to start comparing brands and seeing who builds the better quality camper on my own. Hopefully in a month or two we can really see who has the best product. We like our x23b and I like the way Jayco builds things but we want to see what the brands do as well.
EOD guy, like others have stated, you will be way over RAWR and CCC.

Glad to see that you realize your Toyota will be overmatched .

If you haven't already, I would load up your existing X23b as if you would be camping, the truck loaded also with equipment, passengers and weigh it.

RAWR (rear axle weight rating) is often overlooked and will be exceeded long before actual towing capacity.

Weighing everything now will give you an idea on how much bigger you can go before you buy.

Semper Fi. USMC 66-69
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #32

Get better mattresses

Hi, we have had our 23B for the last three years now and still love it We normally go for 5-10 day trips almost every two weeks in the summer. I agree that the bed is not great for older/heavier people. We took the supplied ones out and replaced them with 8" triple layer foam/memory foam and haven't looked back. You buy a queen size and cut it to fit the wings. We don't fold the mattress in with the wing , we just pull it down onto the dining table area and then pile whatever we need on to it for storage. You have to get a good nights rest and all the trailers that we have seen, do not have great mattresses from the factory. The rest of the 23B is perfect for us two retired with a grand daughter once and a while. Compact, yet roomy and easy to pull.

2008 Jay Feather 23B
Hansoncarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #33

We are EOD family. Congratulations on peed g retirement! How many years? Just consider the weight and CCC. Ends in choices. Lots of plus for the upgrade. Anything out there in between?
Earlanddebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #34

I knowjust what you are talking about - started with a hybrid that lasted a year, but that enabled us to know what works for us. We now have a Jayco 24 RBS with a slide and we love it. In a year or two when my wife retires we may go to a class A in order to travel further. Dont rush into anything and all of a sudden you will know which best suits your needs.
CampingNesslers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #35

WE just sold our older hybrid and bought Jayco 154BH. Yes, we downsized but it was worth it because it was getting to be a hassle getting the bed ends down for use and then trying to put them back up. So, for us, it was a win getting away from the hybrid.
Robbie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #36

We ended up shopping for the last two weeks and found a dealer with a 28BHBE, 28BHS, and a White Hawk 29BH all on the lot so we went to compare. After three hours looking at them which includes four pages of notes and measurements, we put a deposit down on the White Hawk. The bedroom sealed the deal for us and while it is a little heavier it isn't enough for me to worry about. We pick it up on Thursday and are punching straight to the Harpers Ferrry KOA.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #37

Congratulations, Eodcoduto!! Nice trailer!

That's a long trailer with a lot of side acreage. Be careful when the wind kicks up. Higher tongue weight will help under these conditions---however, be careful not to exceed your Tundra's receiver rating.

Enjoy!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #38

EOD- thank you for your service and congrats on the new trailer. We'll be at Harper's Ferry this weekend too. It's the wife's favorite place to go for Mother's Day. Enjoy the new rig!

*OIF '07

2021 F350 CCLB PSD
2016 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
ShaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneO View Post
EOD- thank you for your service and congrats on the new trailer. We'll be at Harper's Ferry this weekend too. It's the wife's favorite place to go for Mother's Day. Enjoy the new rig!

*OIF '07
Thanks, we did four days there last month and loved it! The campground is great and we did a ton of hiking on the battlefields.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlanddebi View Post
We are EOD family. Congratulations on peed g retirement! How many years? Just consider the weight and CCC. Ends in choices. Lots of plus for the upgrade. Anything out there in between?
Thanks! I will have a little over 20 years in plus some broken time that doesn’t count, 15 years in EOD. The White Hawk will be about right for the Tundra.