Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
He is updating it as we speak and I will replace it with a new chart as soon as he sends it over to me. Should be up later today or sometime tomorrow.
Thank you...👍

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
RPR

The info on Illinois may be out of date. May need to speak one on one with their DOT.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #23

In WI it's whatever the speed limit for the road is, not 65. The highest speed limits are 70 on Interstates.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #24

Texas is definitely wrong. Everything in the code I can find lists posted limit.

This is probably the most accurate list I've seen:

https://rvnerds.com/resources/speed-limits-and-towing/

Good Luck with it!

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #25

Route 66: I update the chart once a week. One of the issues that we face is that if you view multiple sites, the information is different, that is why we want input from those of us on the forum. When I produced the original list I viewed at least 3 sites for some states and went with the information from 2 sites; it still doesn't guarantee accuracy. My DW and I produced this chart because we wanted a reference because in some states they do not post speeds upon entry, and phone connections don't always work.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #26

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts. It's just that it was soon apparent that there were many inaccuracies in the chart that needed correcting. For instance, I drove semis in California for over 30 years and the speed limit for trucks IS 55, vehicles pulling trailers is 55, but Class A & C motor homes without pulling a Toad or trailer is the posted speed limit, up to 70mph.

When I drove from LA to Vegas in my tanker truck the Nevada speed limit for trucks and vehicles towing was the posted speed limit. This past summer we went through New Mexico into Colorado and it was the same for all vehicles; the posted sped limit.

But like I said, my speed limit for best MPG is no more than 65, usually cruise at 62.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #27

Interesting, but...

With or without a trailer we follow the speed listed on signs, GPS, and the flow of traffic. In some states, like Ohio and Texas, we are careful due to hungry cops and seemingly senseless speed limit changes along a stretch of highway. We do not attempt the speed limit with a trailer in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota. In Michigan the resident speed limit is generally as posted plus 10 mph except for the stretches of interstate that require 4WD, but Gov. Witchmer is on it.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #28

Vehicle operations in the State of Texas is in the 'Transportation Code'.

A travel trailer/5th wheel is defined as a 'Towable Recreation Vehicle', not as a trailer or house trailer: Section 541.201(19)

A 'Light Truck is defined as one that has a rated capacity of 2000 pounds or less: Section 541.201(5)

Regardless of the posted speed limit and you are doing less than the speed limit, the Prima Facie limit is covered by Section 545.351 which states "MAXIMUM SPEED REQUIREMENT. (a) An operator may not drive at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances then existing."

This would cover road condition, curves, hill crests, intersecting roadways, etc.

Several years ago when you entered Texas from another state you were greeted by a sign that, for towing trailers, Maximum Speed 60 MPH Daytime and 55 MPH Nighttime speed. Of course, if the limit for all vehicles was 40 then yours was too.

Times change, and so did the traffic laws in Texas on September 01, 1995.

A car or light truck towing a 'Towable Recreational Vehicle' has the same speed limit as other 'normal' traffic.

My cruise speed limit is 61, 65 only if I need to.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Interesting, but...

With or without a trailer we follow the speed listed on signs, GPS, and the flow of traffic. In some states, like Ohio and Texas, we are careful due to hungry cops and seemingly senseless speed limit changes along a stretch of highway. We do not attempt the speed limit with a trailer in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota. In Michigan the resident speed limit is generally as posted plus 10 mph except for the stretches of interstate that require 4WD, but Gov. Witchmer is on it.
--------------
Depending on the roadway, Texas speed limit is generally between 20 and 85 MPH. Occasionally you might even be stopped for 'Driving While Jerky'.

I live in Texas and I watch the speed too. The NE part of the country seems less forgiving on enforcement, though.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:24 PM   #30

California, Lights must be on when wipers are on for rain.
jmurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #31

Speed Limits

A current truckers road atlas will give you all the speed limits and a lot more.

crich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #32

Thanks for letting us know. This is something that I didn't even know existed.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurri View Post
California, Lights must be on when wipers are on for rain.
18 states have that now, mine turn on automatically
Old 01-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #34

We do the same, but we also live in California. Trailer speed limit is 55 but is impossible to follow on Interstates or hi-ways unless you want to endanger other vehicles. When I first purchased the TT we tried 55 and at one point I counted 21 cars behind us on Interstate 5; literally took an exist to let them pass. Finally started going with the flow of traffic for trucks and always make sure I am slower than the faster trucks.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #35

I understand. The reason I published this for just trailers is that I just learned a few years ago that speed limits for RV's and Travel Trailers is often different. That was a revelation as we thought that all "RV's" were treated the same.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #36
Site Team

Original Post updated as of 11/12/21. We will post additional updates as this thread develops.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:52 PM   #37

USED TO BE (All) ST TIRES MAX RATED 65, but SOME (NOT all) now higher in 70s/80s rated speed, AS OF ABOUT 5+ YEARS AGO, from what I read.... maybe an influence there, too?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:49 PM   #38

Haven’t seen the Day/Night signs in Texas for awhile. Unless otherwise posted, I would read the Speed Limit signs as applying to All vehicles. My “ST” tires are rated at 65, so I try to stay below that.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I understand. The reason I published this for just trailers is that I just learned a few years ago that speed limits for RV's and Travel Trailers is often different. That was a revelation as we thought that all "RV's" were treated the same.
Having spent many years in local government I can tell you, that unless you buy a published updated version of State Laws or Statutes annually, if not numerous times a year, you will not necessarily find the correct information on line.. Many times caveats are added at the end of the particular section stating what was updated/changed or deleted. If you go back a few years those states where speed limits varied, based on vehicle type, had signs with the multiple speed limits indicated. Most are now gone since they found out having vehicles traveling at different speeds, especially on x-ways, caused more accidents than they prevented.

My office received multiple updates on some of the same sections of the law in one year.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:38 PM   #40

CALIFORNIA!

Hauled a little U-Haul trailer to Yucca Valley behind my Ford Ranger a number of years ago. California's speed limit signs on I-5 state "Speed Limit 70". A few hundred yards from that signs is one that states "Trucks and Autos With Trailers Speed Limit 55".

Ponch and John nailed me for 70 MPH near Corning. The nice CHP officer was pleasant enough when I told him I wasn't really an "Auto" with a trailer. But he wrote me a $365.00 lesson and suggested I take the ticket to court. I also asked him how fast I could go without his cronies down the road nailing me again. He replied he couldn't tell me that. I said I wasn't listening to him and wouldn't hear anything he said. He was cool and said keep it around 63 mph.

Now, the interesting part! The gentleman traveling with me has a daughter that is an attorney in Washington State. She checked the California Vehicle Code and found many definitions for "vehicles". Motorhomes, motor coaches, Semi Trucks, Travel Trailers, House Trailers, Mobile Homes; but in all of the definitions, there was not ONE for "AUTO"!!

I paid the fine and appealed by mail with a well written letter from the attorney pointing out there is no defintion for Auto in California. Whoever the useless magistrate was at the time in Corning sent me a denial of my appeal and the most condescending explanation I have ever seen. Not one point in my appeal was addressed. Just her rambling about what a driver's "intent" for speeding.

Rant over.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote