Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2022, 07:43 PM   #41

Thanks! I usually drive about 62mph wherever I go. I would love to keep it at 55 for saftey & gas mileage but it always backs up traffic & can cause problems especially when everyone is driving 10-20 mph over the speed limit most of the time.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:52 PM   #42

One FACT that few think about is that St type tires as found on most RV trailers is that the load formula used to calculate the numbers that ended up in the Load & Inflation chart is based on a stated max operating speed of 65 mph,
If you look at LT type tire do you think the tire companies used Magic to get more load capacity out of tires with the same air volume when they started to make ST type tires? If you run at speeds above 65 you are cutting into the life of your tires.
In the late '60s when ST tires were "invented" they were all bias construction. Radial tires have internal forces such as Interply Shear that can tear the belts off the carcass. These forces can be 24% or more higher than in a same sized LT tire on a motor-vehicle.
These are the Facts and Science why St tires on trailers have shorter life than the P type tires on cars and the LT type on trucks.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:15 PM   #43

Not sure where these limits are coming from but if it's not posted, who's going to know what they are. Been towing trailers for 55 years and never saw this in states I've been in. Know TN and AL are wrong on the chart.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #44
RPR

Gymracer you need to go back and read from the start of this post so you will know what has been posted especially Alabama.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
I paid the fine and appealed by mail with a well written letter from the attorney pointing out there is no defintion for Auto in California. Whoever the useless magistrate was at the time in Corning sent me a denial of my appeal and the most condescending explanation I have ever seen. Not one point in my appeal was addressed. Just her rambling about what a driver's "intent" for speeding.

Rant over.

Murff
May I suggest that you read the CVC on Prima Facie speed limits... . the broad definition it is... likely covered you during that stop.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #46

Like I stated, I know TN is wrong and KY is posted speed. AL said 56 or posted so yes that means AL is posted. Not really seeing need of this chart. Seldom see a sign saying trailers at slower speed. Not sure why posting here anyway as I have motorhome.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:10 AM   #47

Arizona has no physics

Arizona the land of I was going so fast I landed in the desert. Help tow me back to the road!
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #48

If you drive 55 on I-95 in Virginia, youse are likely to get run over!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #49

I stick with 65mph. TT tires are rated at 75 and I keep them inflated to max allowed...65psi. This way I have a safety margin in load and speed.
Easier on my psyche as well.

I did get stopped once in San Diego area doing 65....towing my sailboat. I told the officer no way was I going to go 55 while everyone else was doing 75 to 80 ! That would be stupid and very dangerous on my part.

He gave me a warning and suggested I compromise at 60. I agreed to consider that.
He was nice. I was polite.

If the truckers did 55, I think I would too. But they don't. I now avoid California as much as possible when towing boat or trailer. Sorry guys and gals, but the people who run that state live is different world....
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
If the truckers did 55, I think I would too. But they don't. I now avoid California as much as possible when towing boat or trailer. Sorry guys and gals, but the people who run that state live is different world....
TBH, I received my ticket when Arnold was the Gropenfuhrer of California.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:52 AM   #51

As I'm cruising along at 65-68mph with our 5er on top end, 106mph tires and someone in his "Lite" trailer woyh 13/14" tires or boat with 10" tires passes me at Warp 8, all I can think is China Bomb tires and the impending mess along the road. Then there is that tail wag over a lane and a half......''

Current NY regs:
RV Speed Limit: 65 mph for cars and trucks on rural interstates; 55 mph for cars and trucks on urban interstates.
Notes: Riding in a trailer is permitted. In other words, what us poated and the max speed anywhere in the state is 65mph ()

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
It's becoming obvious that the chart posted by the OP is outdated and incorrect. It should either be updated or removed...just my opinion.
I agree. It is more confounding than helpful Maine has no RV speed limit that differs from other vehicles. The speed limit varies on I 95 from 60 in Portland area to 70 to 65 around Augusta and Waterville for a mile to 75 north of Bangor.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #53
CAG

I did not read this entire thread so forgive me if I am repeating someone but while the posted speed limit might be 75 or whatever be sure to check the tires on your RV. Some say 65 or even less.

I have been passed more than once by an RV going 75 to 80 only to pass them down the road a ways sitting on the side of the road with a blown tire.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I do suggest that we ask people to post facts, not opinions.
Perhaps the list could have originated with only facts, that were verified, instead of the percieved speed limits from some unspecified source.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I did not read this entire thread so forgive me if I am repeating someone but while the posted speed limit might be 75 or whatever be sure to check the tires on your RV. Some say 65 or even less.

I have been passed more than once by an RV going 75 to 80 only to pass them down the road a ways sitting on the side of the road with a blown tire.
My motorhome tires are Goodyear G670 and they are rated for 75mph others might be different
Old 01-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #56
Site Team

Moderator's Note:

Quick clarification for those who may not have been aware of the intention of this project from the beginning........

The spirit of this thread that was intended by the OP was to develop a list together as a membership and the first post was placed as just a starting point. The OP has graciously offered to continue to provide updates and the Site-Team will continue to edited the list as those updates become available.

If there are specific suggestions or sources of information that our members can provide for individual states, please post them in the body of this thread and it will be updated.

Again, this list was intended by the OP to be a working document developed together. We thank you for your help in this project.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #57

Maxmadmutt: I am the OP. Your idea is great. The only problem that I had and still have is that if you Google different states there are multiple speed limits that don't agree with each other. That is why in the original thread we asked everyone to post only "facts," not opinions. I am updating this about every three days. At some point we hope it will be factual!.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Maxmadmutt: I am the OP. Your idea is great. The only problem that I had and still have is that if you Google different states there are multiple speed limits that don't agree with each other. That is why in the original thread we asked everyone to post only "facts," not opinions. I am updating this about every three days. At some point we hope it will be factual!.
And, I think your idea and intent is great. The implication in your initial post, was that others would provide anechdotal or incorrect information. IMO, you did that from the start, albeit with good intentions. Yes, there are many bits of information posted on the Internet (some even on state run pages), but that doesn't make them facts, or make them stop from misleading people. I just would have left the states I was not 100% on blank, instead of picking something.

In Colorado, the maximum speed that can be posted is 75 MPH. There is no travel trailer speed limit, there is only 'the' speed limit. As with many other places, there are additional rules to the effect of driving at speed safe for the conditions, but that isn't really the subject here.

Colorado 1101
"(8) (a) (Deleted by amendment, L. 96, p. 578, § 2, effective May 25, 1996.)
(b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, no person shall drive a vehicle
on a highway at a speed in excess of a maximum lawful speed limit of seventy-five miles per
hour.
(c) The speed limit set forth in paragraph (b) of this subsection (8) is the maximum lawful
speed limit and is not subject to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section.
(d) Local authorities within their respective jurisdictions shall not authorize any speed
limit which exceeds seventy-five miles per hour on any highway. "

State Traffic Code
"(L) Speeding violations:

Sec. 1101 (1) or (8) (b) (1 to 4 miles
per hour over the reasonable and
prudent speed or over the maximum
lawful speed limit of 75 miles
per hour) $ 30.00 $ 6.00 "
Old 01-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Moderator's Note:

Quick clarification for those who may not have been aware of the intention of this project from the beginning........

The spirit of this thread that was intended by the OP was to develop a list together as a membership and the first post was placed as just a starting point. The OP has graciously offered to continue to provide updates and the Site-Team will continue to edited the list as those updates become available.

If there are specific suggestions or sources of information that our members can provide for individual states, please post them in the body of this thread and it will be updated.

Again, this list was intended by the OP to be a working document developed together. We thank you for your help in this project.
Suggest updating the date listed in post #1, as changes are made.
"Thread updated as of 11/12/21"
Old 01-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Suggest updating the date listed in post #1, as changes are made.
"Thread updated as of 11/12/21"
Would you believe that I didn't notice my error until you pointed that out. Thanks. I'll fix it right now.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote