Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #1

Traveling with a Missing Spring Bar

I don't know how it happened, and I'd shoot the installer but that would mean committing suicide...

My wife and I took a trip from NY to a campground in PA, about 130 miles away. This campground is located at the end of a uphill climb of six miles on a winding, single lane, narrow road (one lane in each direction). We get to the campground to check in and an RVer that was behind us in a small class C says to me "that must have been some experience" meaning pulling my 32.5' 28RLS up that stretch of road.

We check in, I get to our campsite, back the trailer in, remove the spring bar on the drivers side and cross over to remove the spring bar on the passengers side...but the spring is missing!!!

I'm in total shock and can't believe we just drove 130 miles while missing one spring bar and then proceed to rack my brain as to how this could happen. I know I put the bar on, I know I put the pin in and I'm sure I put the carter pin in that secures the pin from working it's way out of place.

Of course there is no way to prove all of that but I have to imagine if I didn't put the pin in the bar would probably have slipped out during the first hard left turn which occurs coming out of my driveway. If I failed to put the carter pin in the pin that secures the bar the bar could have worked it's way out as I was driving and fallen out at any point where I was making a left turn during the trip. The carter pins are thin but I can't imagine enough stress is place on them to snap one. Unfortunately I have no way to know for sure which scenario is correct.

I'm baffled as to how that heavy bar could have slipped out and neither of us have heard it hit the ground, missed having the trailer roll over it or have whoever was behind us when it happened alert us that something fell off the rig. I also felt no difference in how the truck and trailer handled during the entire trip.

Of course the first item of action the following day was finding another spring bar of the correct model and load bearing which I had to have before the return trip. After searching I found one at an RV facility about 30 miles away but of course only sold in pairs. Instead of pins secured by carter pins I purchased a one piece pin that has a latch to secure the pin in place.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

Nope. Cant say I've ever had that one happen of all the trailers I've pulled.
It is pretty funny though. Look at it this way, when it happens again you got a spare! Lol!
Old 08-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #3

Last sept. we were following my BIL going home from our trip.He was towing a 23' toy hauler.
About 10 miles later my wife noticed something moving around under the trailer.
She called his wife and they pulled over.
The passenger side bar was on the ground hanging by the chain from the trailer bracket.
We found that the spring plate with the dowel on the end that holds the bar in the hitch was bent not allowing the bar to lock in place.
He just bent it back and it worked.

They did not even hear it dragging!
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #4

I've never seen it either and by your description I'm assuming this was an equalizer hitch? I recently switched to the spring bar pins with the captive clips as well. But I tell you what, I'd hate to be the vehicle traveling behind a trailer that loses a spring bar....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:36 AM   #5

I’ve had it happen to me, I didn’t loose the bar because of the chain, but in my case the head and bar both had enough wear that it began to fail, usually as I exited a parking spot with a combined turn and dip. The first time I passing car got my attention (35mph zone) the next two times I heard it because I was more attuned to it. Replaced the head and both bars, my new head has grease zeros, should decrease wear of metal on metal. I think the biggest point of wear was the spring loaded dowel which locks in the groove.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #6

I pulled a 3500 lb trailer for about 20 miles while dragging the bar. Never heard it but I did hear the guy beeping and pointing back at the trailer. I assumed a door or tire, but eventually found the bar dragging. Put it on with a spare pin and kept on going.
Not I have an Andersen and haven't had a problem with that. ( Plus my wife double checks everything.)
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote