Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Tunnels and Other Sphincter Tightening experiences?

Family and I spent a great few days in VA Beach on our real first trip in our new precept 36t. On the way down the I64 tunnel eastbound (built more recently than westbound) I had a max clearance of 14'6, no problemo... Height everywhere I looked was 12'6 for my rig. I compared to most standard 18 wheelers, everything looked good, I'm was a few inches shorter. On the way back the max height was 13'6... I'm 12'6, a bit close, but a foot should be more than enough. Go through propane check and head into the tunnel. About 100 feet in, I start to hear a relatively loud scraping sound. Of course at this point my entire body tensed up and I went through the 5 stages of grief in that 3 minute drive: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.

When I pulled over at the next opportunity, it ended up that it was just the am/fm antenna, no harm done, except to my steering wheel from extremely firm grip.

Guess the antenna is not included in the stats.

Any other tunnel stories or lessons learned?
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Team

The first time I backed my 2011 rig under my old shed I was concerned about the front ac clearance which from my math was about 4 inches if I was exactly in the middle. I was over half way in before the front ac came into play and then I hear this "Ptang....Ptang...Ptang noise that tightened mine. It was the radio antenna hitting the ribs on the metal roof!

We had to raise the roof 18 inches to give some additional room to prevent the ac from potentially hitting the roof peak.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

I had a clenching experience going thru a bridge toll booth across the San Mateo bridge. Inexperienced as I was, I didn't notice or take the truck lane which is wider and instead headed for the normal car, Fastrak lane. As I'm entering the toll booth I realized my mistake, I had just inches side-to-side of the trailer. We actually got through unscathed but I was sweating bullets. Lesson learned.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
I had a clenching experience going thru a bridge toll booth across the San Mateo bridge. Inexperienced as I was, I didn't notice or take the truck lane which is wider and instead headed for the normal car, Fastrak lane. As I'm entering the toll booth I realized my mistake, I had just inches side-to-side of the trailer. We actually got through unscathed but I was sweating bullets. Lesson learned.
I would never have thought about this — thanks for the lesson!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

Another rookie move I find myself making is getting in the far left lane when there are 2 left turning lanes. Good thing is I outweigh the other vehicles by at least 10000 lbs. So they usually let me in. Still a boneheaded move on my part. I've pretty much got it down now though.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckohlhaas View Post
Another rookie move I find myself making is getting in the far left lane when there are 2 left turning lanes. Good thing is I outweigh the other vehicles by at least 10000 lbs. So they usually let me in. Still a boneheaded move on my part. I've pretty much got it down now though.
I always go with the "Lug nut rule" He who has most lug nuts wins. LOL
jcrammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
I have only done the Richmond San Rafael Bridge and I don’t have fasttrak either so I just stick to the right side even those make me nervous even after following an 18 wheeler through, I could not imagine taking a narrow lane. I really hate going through Oakland on I880 south of the port where the road is rough and there are lots of 18 wheelers and idiots driving.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

Provincial Road 313 crossing the Winnipeg River. Yes, this is two-way traffic. They have since installed traffic lights at either end to make it one-way, each side taking turns. The bridge is so narrow that when it was two-way, there was zero margin for error; whenever I crossed, I prayed that I wouldn't meet a truck coming the other way.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0921.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #9

Our favourite local state park has/had a very exciting little bridge to gain access to the camping area. Not especially high, but very narrow and more than little rickety... and there's always somebody trying to come the other way at the same time.

I say "has/had" because the campground is now closed for 6 months, while they rebuild the bridge.. which just serves as a reminder that it was the ONLY road access, in or out...

https://shellonwheelsdotnet.files.wo...w-bridge-1.jpg

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #10

Concrete construction barriers placed on both sides of highway lanes during road repairs. They never leave enough room for error and it’s miles and miles of high stress at highway speeds. Add in the hills of Tennessee and it removes years from your life.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Concrete construction barriers placed on both sides of highway lanes during road repairs. They never leave enough room for error and it’s miles and miles of high stress at highway speeds. Add in the hills of Tennessee and it removes years from your life.
Those orange barrels
They remove more then years from your life especially on that twisty climb outside Chattanooga........clipped one that was touched by the car in front and it wobbled right into my TV left quarter and tucked in and it’s base went under the TT ........lost all the dump plumbing ........at least my tanks were empty...
I now move as far away as the road will allow and slow way down.......lesson learned ..

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #12

I can’t stand those road construction lane shifts. They are usually short and quick with a concrete barrier on one side and traffic on the other. Two hands on the wheel and head on a swivel checking mirrors!
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #13

It hurts to watch, but stay for the last one!

https://youtu.be/o8Z1K37SHbE

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

Murph, That's too funny! Especially that last one. I was having visions of my ac hitting the windshield of the car behind me.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogrampa View Post
..clipped one that was touched by the car in front and it wobbled right into my TV left quarter and tucked in and it’s base went under the TT ........lost all the dump plumbing ........at least my tanks were empty...
I now move as far away as the road will allow and slow way down.......lesson learned ..
Been there. I was behind a 5 ton tow truck, every time he past a barrel, it wobbled. Finally one blow out into my lane. Hit it and drove over it. Luckily no damage, front bumper did needed to be buffed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #16

Orange barrels and quick construction lane changes are a pain for me driving. Hell's Backbone, highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante UT, scares the stuffing out of the wife. Narrow two lane, 12" shoulders and sheer drop offs on both sides. Only about 3-5 miles but she keeps her eyes shut the whole time.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Site Team

This kind of thing just doesn't happen when you are towing.

My 7' tall Ram in a parking garage clearly marked 8' 6".
Attached Thumbnails
20190429_192222.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
...My 7' tall Ram in a parking garage clearly marked 8' 6".
So, who got stuck with the cost for repairing your damage? Where was the parking garage so I know not to park in there?

I had an episode with one of the parking garages in Uniontown where only after I made the turn to enter was the clearance sign visible. The clearance height was marginal so I decided to back out, however by then, three other vehicles had queued behind me waiting to get in and I had to get them all to back up enough so I could back out. It was a lot of fun because more vehicles were lining up behind them.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
So, who got stuck with the cost for repairing your damage? Where was the parking garage so I know not to park in there?

I had an episode with one of the parking garages in Uniontown where only after I made the turn to enter was the clearance sign visible. The clearance height was marginal so I decided to back out, however by then, three other vehicles had queued behind me waiting to get in and I had to get them all to back up enough so I could back out. It was a lot of fun because more vehicles were lining up behind them.
Convention center garage in Pittsburgh.

On edit: I've never tried the garages in Uniontown. When I get jury duty, I try and park at that paid lot across from the courthouse. My wife has put her 1500 in the garage behind the courthouse successfully though.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
This kind of thing just doesn't happen when you are towing.

My 7' tall Ram in a parking garage clearly marked 8' 6".
I ALMOST had the same thing happen!
I had called a parking garage before going and asked about the clearance. They told me what it was and it was close, but OK. We had no problem at the ENTRANCE. When leaving I saw the THE EXIT WAS LOWER THAN THE ENTRANCE but there was no clearance warning!
I had to turn that long-bed crew cab around and go back out and exit at the entrance to save the roof. And, to accomplish that, my DW had to stand in the bed of the truck and push a sign that hung on chains aside while I maneuvered the truck.

We (almost) laugh about it now.

Hopefully one day you can laugh about your 8'7"Ram.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
height, tunnel