Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I replaced the standard batwing head with a King Jack head on our TT. The difference was pronounced, but I wouldn't say it was a "significant" difference. It was indeed better though. It seemed like the King Jack was a little more forgiving on bearing? The MH came with the King Jack.

Anyway, we've been out a few times where we couldn't pick up any channels. In that case, we bring quite a selection of DVDs (including episodes of my son's favorite shows, and ours too if we want them), and we try to find a local FM station just in case for vitally important notices on news and weather.

I think the TV in our new MH is WIFI capable. If it is, I'm going to try to connect it to my phone's hotspot. We have an unlimited data plan, but we get throttled after 15 GB if there's any traffic. We use our phones to allow our laptops to connect to the "mother ship" while working in the field. Anyway, if that doesn't work, I have an old ROKU that I know will work with my phone if I have decent cell signal. If we're not getting TV channels, chances are pretty slim we're getting cell signal though.

Bottom line is that I haven't tested any of this yet because the TV really isn't that important to us when we're out. We'll watch a movie while falling asleep at night, or to keep the boy entertained sometimes (especially on long travel days), but other than that, we're usually doing something else and the TV is off most of the time.

What I'm more interested in these days is how I can set up a small projector outside the MH! I think it would be fun sometimes to catch a movie outside if the weather's nice. Some of the parks we've stayed at have "movies under the stars" or something similar, and that always sounded fun to me...
Lok at the AXA P300 projector for an putside movie experience. It even comes with a remote control. You will needso e xternal speakers as the audio is very low. Have ne and it works pretty good.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #22

When I was a kid, we lived in a double house with the Grandparents downstairs. The phone was in a booth in front of a convenience store down the street, and the TV was in Grandpa's place. It was a maybe an 8" B&W and since they went to bed early we didn't get to watch it much. We did have a radio in our apartment, though.

Those years vacation was camping in a tent. The sites had no electric or water, and all we had now was a small transistor radio.

Those were the best years of my life. We didn't get bombarded daily with complaints about our politicians, or having to listen to dribble about reality TV.

Mom & Dad and all before them have passed now. The kids are grown. Now we have a fancy schmancy Jayco with a flat screen. It hardly ever gets used. Sitting on the porch under my canopy, viewing the woods in the great Allegheny mountains, reminds me of my youth. Those were truly the good old days.

Happy camping to all....
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #23

I am a cord cutter and put up a over the air antenna on my house about 4 years ago. It took some experimenting to get it maximized. The 2 things that made a difference was an inline booster and putting it up on a longer pole. Height matters. When camping I've found that at the 2 ocean beaches I camp at the reception is incredible. Over 60 stations. One is in southern Massachusetts and the other in northern Mass. Other times in more remote areas, little or no reception so we do other stuff.
chesterBurnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #24

I thought everyone was camping...Keep the TV off and enjoy the outdoors or at least everyone else's company...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #25

Depends on your definition of camping. I guess I do very little of what many, it seems, call camping. Driving to a destination. Parking for a week, and lighting a campfire at night.

For me, my trailer is a mobile bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. On my recently completed 8800 mile trip, never sat around outside the camper. We were either out looking at the national parks, or museums, or inside preparing for bed. And if we were close enough, would watch the local news just to have some idea what the world was going to look like when we got home.

In the fall, we go to all of my schools football games. TV is important here. When we are not in the stadium for our game, we have other college football games on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMroz View Post
I thought everyone was camping...Keep the TV off and enjoy the outdoors or at least everyone else's company...

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #26

Wow...to me camping is sitting outside enjoying nature and all it has to offer but I guess to each their own...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #27

Yes, I do guess "to each their own". It's why there are so many RV choices.

Obviously some folks believe RVing means having a .5 million dollar Class A 44' diesel pusher, while others believe RVing is having an off road capable pop up trailer.

It's why there are so many choices and why there are so many uses.

What I gather sometimes is a note of condescension from folks who believe "camping" is only going to a site, staying for a week, and burning a bunch of wood in a fire ring for no purpose but to watch it burn. It's not like they are even cooking over it.

Quote:
Wow...to me camping is sitting outside enjoying nature and all it has to offer but I guess to each their own...

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #28

I agree that there's A LOT more to "camping" than the idyllic trip out to nature sitting around a campfire or hiking or observing nature. Sure, that's great, but not necessarily what I want to do ALL the time. That's the great thing about RVs, you can do whatever you want. That's why we bought one in the first place. I like to spend time in the great outdoors and disconnect, DW likes more "urban" adventures trying out new restaurants, seeing museums, cities, etc. I like that too, and with our motor home, we have the freedom to do it either way.

There's no right or wrong way to "camp", so long as everyone is having fun, that's what's most important!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #29

[QUOTE=chesterBurnet;669334]I am a cord cutter and put up a over the air antenna on my house about 4 years ago. I camp at the reception is incredible. Over 60 stations. f.[/QUOTE

This is probably true but total BS. In an optimal situation there are only so many OTA stations in any given area. There are never anything close to 60. In that number how many different ABC CBS NBC FOX affliates were you pulling in all with the same probgraming? How many infomerchal channels and PBS channels with all kinds of dubious programming? My point [maybe your point as well] is that in areas within range of a regional or mid to large size town, the reception for most available stations is great. Often it is difficult to eliminate the redundant ones so you can surf to find a show. BUT 60 or even 50 or 30 is BS as in many cases you might be able to lock on 20+ stations and still not get the Sunday NFL game or this weeks episode of your favorite show.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #30

[QUOTE=Bassdogs;675420]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterBurnet View Post
I am a cord cutter and put up a over the air antenna on my house about 4 years ago. I camp at the reception is incredible. Over 60 stations. f.[/QUOTE

This is probably true but total BS. In an optimal situation there are only so many OTA stations in any given area. There are never anything close to 60. In that number how many different ABC CBS NBC FOX affliates were you pulling in all with the same probgraming? How many infomerchal channels and PBS channels with all kinds of dubious programming? My point [maybe your point as well] is that in areas within range of a regional or mid to large size town, the reception for most available stations is great. Often it is difficult to eliminate the redundant ones so you can surf to find a show. BUT 60 or even 50 or 30 is BS as in many cases you might be able to lock on 20+ stations and still not get the Sunday NFL game or this weeks episode of your favorite show.
Yeah, but technically, it's still 60 different channels. Just because half of them are useless, and a quarter of them are redundant doesn't diminish the fact that in the right spot, an OTA antenna can pick up that many channels.

We probably have that many at our house over the air; we watch exactly one of them most of the year (local news). During football season, we will venture out trying to catch games on other channels, and sometimes we get lucky. Most of the time we have to stream the ones we really want to watch though.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
When I was a kid, we lived in a double house with the Grandparents downstairs. The phone was in a booth in front of a convenience store down the street, and the TV was in Grandpa's place. It was a maybe an 8" B&W and since they went to bed early we didn't get to watch it much. We did have a radio in our apartment, though.

Those years vacation was camping in a tent. The sites had no electric or water, and all we had now was a small transistor radio.

Those were the best years of my life. We didn't get bombarded daily with complaints about our politicians, or having to listen to dribble about reality TV.

Mom & Dad and all before them have passed now. The kids are grown. Now we have a fancy schmancy Jayco with a flat screen. It hardly ever gets used. Sitting on the porch under my canopy, viewing the woods in the great Allegheny mountains, reminds me of my youth. Those were truly the good old days.

Happy camping to all....
Sounds like the "good ol days" are still going on.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #32

Nope...if you want to sit in your camper and watch TV, go for it. I don't just sit outside and enjoy nature as suggested. We visit all kinds of places that interest us, its just I/We don't feel we want to sit and watch TV while we camp. Not saying we don't turn it on when we get in the mood but there is so much to enjoy outdoors, considering in 3 or 4 months we'll be up to our knees in snow, watching the boob tube just isn't one of them. It boils down to my statement, to each their own. Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #33

There is an app TV fool.com plug in your location finds all TV near by!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Camper_bob;675424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post

Yeah, but technically, it's still 60 different channels. Just because half of them are useless, and a quarter of them are redundant doesn't diminish the fact that in the right spot, an OTA antenna can pick up that many channels.
That's why I said its probably true. Just making the point that if the OP is hoping to watch his favorite NFL team or catch DWTStars they will be disappointed if they are more than 25 miles from a regional transmitter. The RV antanee will do fine bringing in local channels if you are camping at a Nascar race or near an urban area of a reasonable size. But if you want access network broadcasts and are going to be away from populated areas probably not so much.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Nope...if you want to sit in your camper and watch TV, go for it. I don't just sit outside and enjoy nature as suggested. We visit all kinds of places that interest us, its just I/We don't feel we want to sit and watch TV while we camp. Not saying we don't turn it on when we get in the mood but there is so much to enjoy outdoors, considering in 3 or 4 months we'll be up to our knees in snow, watching the boob tube just isn't one of them. It boils down to my statement, to each their own. Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent...
3 or 4 months? OMG I wish it was that way - we live near Buffalo, NY....LOL.

In the end, when we camp, we camp. I hate driving and won't ever own a pickemuptruck, thus our RVs are permanently set up and when we are there we are in the wilderness. I also hate football and reality TV, (but that's yet another story), so our camp is our respite away from life's burdens. Low BP, no heartburn - that's what we like. When our youngest saw his first deer in the wild, it was an awesome experience for all of us.

If we want to explore and see things we fly there, rent a car and find a motel.

No offense should be taken by anyone. As was said before, to each his own.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, firestick, tvs