Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

What is the risk?

From time to time, I'll see a post here about whether one should or should not run the refrigerator or the generator while rolling down the road.
What are the risks?
We always use the fridge. If you don't, how do you keep the food cold?
And to try to get the two hours per month of generator use (under a load), we run it from time to time as we are driving.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
CAG

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-78817.html

At the top of the page in the gold band is the search feature. It will help you find that posts you are asking about.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #3

My experience is this. Never had a 5’er but in my 30+ years of towing a TT or the last 5 years with a MH I have always run the fridge going down the road with propane turned on. I have not been through a tunnel where you have to turn it off. My owners manual does not say the propane has to be turned off while traveling. It recommends periodic checks of the system at regular intervals for loose fittings and connections. It also has a note referring to the laws of the areas/states where you travel.
Check out the section in your owners manual that refers to the fuel and propane system in your particular RV.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
My experience is this. Never had a 5’er but in my 30+ years of towing a TT or the last 5 years with a MH I have always run the fridge going down the road with propane turned on. I have not been through a tunnel where you have to turn it off. My owners manual does not say the propane has to be turned off while traveling. It recommends periodic checks of the system at regular intervals for loose fittings and connections. It also has a note referring to the laws of the areas/states where you travel.
Check out the section in your owners manual that refers to the fuel and propane system in your particular RV.
X-2 only my experience was over 40 years, TT's, FW's and MH's. If it wasn't safe I guarantee they would have banned their use years ago.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #5

This question has the equivalent of Ford vs Chevy, What oil should I use, Nitrogen or no(78%) nitrogen in the tires.....

According to Dilbert, 87% of people will just use their refrigerator and never ask.

If you want to travel with the fridge off, you might as well tent camp with coolers
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #6

Our experience with RVs goes back about 30+ years. In fact, we still have our 1964 TT and use it as our guest house. The 2015 Jayco is set up at the main campsite and its for the family.

The old girl, now 56 years old, is built like a brick shedhouse. Although we have had an occasional roof leak that was easily repairable, the appliances are cast-iron-like and have never been a problem. The walls are twice as thick as the crap they sell today.

Our Jayco is light and thin. I'm glad we don't pull it down the road because I'm sure it would fall apart. I surely wouldn't trust the water, sewer or propane connections. Why do you think that people sell these things after only a few years.

So, go ahead and run everything all the time. No problem. I'm sure that nothing will happen in a million years. Or will it? Are ya feeling lucky?....well, are ya punk? (not my comment - its a movie quote)
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

Our Jayco is light and thin. I'm glad we don't pull it down the road because I'm sure it would fall apart. I surely wouldn't trust the water, sewer or propane connections. Why do you think that people sell these things after only a few years.
WOW! Cynical much?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
WOW! Cynical much?
Cynical means distrusting, believing that people only act in a way that makes it easier for themselves, motivated by selfishness.

In my Engineering life, as a design engineer, my motives were based on minimizing risk. Its not what will happen, not what might happen, but what is the worst possible thing that could possibly happen.

I never felt lucky. That's why all of my projects were successful and nobody ever complained.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Cynical means distrusting, believing that people only act in a way that makes it easier for themselves, motivated by selfishness.

In my Engineering life, as a design engineer, my motives were based on minimizing risk. Its not what will happen, not what might happen, but what is the worst possible thing that could possibly happen.

I never felt lucky. That's why all of my projects were successful and nobody ever complained.
I would never get out of bed, then.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #10

If common sense were not so uncommon, we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in. How many times have you heard the phrases "I didn't think", or "I didn't know".
Old 10-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

We have always run with the fridge on propane.

The last trip I had an icing up issue during travel and the fridge stopped cooling. We put the necessary food in a cooler and deiced the fridge for about 4 hours.

All worked as it should when it was fired back up, This was the first time having that issue. Still trying to figure out what caused the fridge/freezer to ice up.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

Manufacturers will always cover their rears. If there was any sort of danger running a fridge on propane while driving, there would be warning labels all over the place. They could also put in a cutoff when the engine is running.

These things are designed pretty well. Unless you happen to have a propane leak there shouldn't be any problem having that small flame while driving. Of course if you have a leak you could be in big trouble when parked.

If you feel safer shutting it off by all means do so. Hopefully the food will remain cold enough so as to not spoil and give you food poisoning.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #13

Like others said on the warning stickers. My previous 5er's I always ran the propane fridge while driving down the road. If it was illegal, the Schwans man would be out of business. Lol!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Poll and discussion.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...oll-15414.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #15

When refueling make certain frig is off if it is near another fuel pump. The fumes can be ignited by the frig burner.
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
When refueling make certain frig is off if it is near another fuel pump. The fumes can be ignited by the frig burner.
I'd love to see some actual evidence that fumes do this outdoors. I worked at a gas station in the 80's. I saw all kinds of crazy stuff go on, but nothing ever caught fire from the fumes outside. I know of a story where the owner literally sprayed the RV with gas and it caught fire, but not from fumes.

I know my fridge is 30 feet from my gas tank on the 5'er.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #17

Your fuel tank maybe but is there someone using the other side of the pump from your refrig unit?
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Your fuel tank maybe but is there someone using the other side of the pump from your refrig unit?
It isn't, but again fumes outside don't catch a gas station on fire.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #19

After doing the research I'm quite sure that nobody ever has had a problem. So, why all the worry. Just do as you have been doing for years and it'll all be OK. And if a one-in-a-million event happens, that's what you have insurance for.

Don't worry....be happy.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #20

I don't know about one in a million.

However, I have seen at least 5 trailers on fire along side the road over the years.
The only ignition source I can imagine is the refrigerator or water heater.
I choose to turn the propane off while rolling and catch up at the destination.

This is what my owner's manual says...

Driving with the propane system on can
add to the danger if you are involved in an
accident or have a fire. Most refrigerators
will keep food cold or frozen for eight
hours without running while you travel.
Shut the propane system off at the
propane cylinder.

Cheers!

-Mark-
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote