Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2021, 06:39 AM   #1

What’s mine really worth?

Hey guys and gals. I was toying around with the idea of maybe selling our TT. I know the market seems to be a bit nuts for anything outdoor related at the moment but I just thought I might ask here and see what you thought.
I looked up NADA values and they seemed high to me.

It’s a 2019 Jayco Jayflight 174BH. No slides, rooftop AC and all the other normal stuff. I have done way too many mods to list here but everything done are very useful mods and nicely done.
The trailer is in showroom condition too.

Anybody have a guess?
Attached Thumbnails
EF158440-C42D-4AF1-B15F-7CE189497730.jpg  
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

Values are really high right now. I’ve you ever considered selling, now is the perfect time. People tend to buy in the spring, and COVID, due to several factors, has made inventory scarce.

The problem lies in replacing it. If you want out of the game, you are good. If you want a new one, expect to pay top dollar.

My neighbor just sold his 2 yr old fifthwheel through a dealer on consignment. He got more than he paid for it, even after the consignment fee.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

It's the same here in California too! My cousin was offered from the dealer he bought it from, much more for his 27' Jay Feather than he paid for it.

But I agree with NewBlackDak, if you're looking for a new TT upgrade, you'll pay through the nose for it. Unless you're lucky enough to find a dealer looking to dump last year's model trailer.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Well looking at just NADA values, not doing any real market research, it is putting ours at over $13,000 and that is only for the base model. I know if I went in and added in some of the options ours has, that will probably go up a little more. Not to mention some of the upgrades I have done myelf.

Not sure if that is an accurate dollar value or not.

Went camping this past weekend and the subject of possibly selling ours came up. If we keep it, it actually works very well for us.
If we sell it, then I may find myself something much smaller. Just big enough for me and my dog to take out here and there. Or possibly a small toy hauler that I can take my motorcycle to mountains with every now and then.

I know if I wanted to sell, NOW is the time. But if I wait a couple of years, I have a feeling the market will be flooded with TT's that were bought during COVID and will probably be much harder to sell then.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

Just went back through the NADA and clicked on most of the options ours has, it kicked the retail up from as low as $14,000 to as high as almost $17,000.

That can not be right, or can it?
Old 03-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

After reading this thread, I was curious what my 264BHW trailer was worth. So I went to NADA and found out the higher end is more than I originally paid for it! Not sure if I could get that price if I were to actually sell my rig, but it's interesting to think about
Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Working in the auto industry has taught me that a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Books like the NADA guide are useful, but at the end of the day they are just a guide since they will not cut you a check. Do not expect to get full book value at a dealership, but you might if you sell private party.

Also in my experience no one has a ugly baby, so it's best to look at the lower values to get an idea of what you might get in trade at a dealership. Very few people devalue the vehicle appropriately for wear/damage and add to much for the options. If the stock unit has that option, don't add it. For example, your unit probably came with an 13.5k air conditioner standard, so you will not add that as an option. Also, in some markets a feature like the 15k AC will bring a little extra value; in others it will not. Don't expect to get much, if anything for your mods. They might even hurt the value.

Take my 2 cents for what it is worth.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
...I might ask here and see what you thought. ...
I sold my old camper in May of last year and got a new one. The camper I sold was in good condition for a 15 year old lightly used unit. I cleaned it up and posted it on Craigs List for more than I thought it was worth figuring there would be some haggling over the final price. I got responses within a few hours and sold it the next day. Someone drove 4 hrs from his home and offered my asking price in cash, no haggling. He said it was the nicest unit he'd seen. From what I can tell, the market is hot again like last year.

My advice is to do the same, clean yours up, take some photos, and post it on craigs list. Do a bit of checking to see what others are asking for similar units and ask a bit more. If folks don't show interest in it, lower the asking price a bit.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

that a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it

Also in my experience no one has a ugly baby

So very, very true.
You see this in houses too!
Old 03-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

I completely agree with the above statement, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

I was off today and stopped by my Jayco dealer. They are an older dealer with good people that own and work there.

They know how I tank care of my stuff and said it would probably go for $12,000 to $13,000 right now if I wanted to sell it. He said they are selling the 2021's like mine for about $15,000 at the moment. We looked at a few other options if I wanted to do it too. The new Micro's look really nice and are certainly a step up from ours. But also about $10,000 more after I sold ours to get one too. Not sure I want to drop another $10K on one right now. Especially since ours is paid for.

Rode up to the local Camping World just to look around. It is not a dealer I like at all but they do have a lot of product to look at for ideas. The only thing they had that caught my eye were the Geo Pros. After looking at them in person, I was not really impressed at all. Will probably keep ours a few more years and when the kids are not intrested in going anymore, I will find something for the wife and I. If the wife decides she does not want to go in the future anymore, then I will find something really small and and easy to use just for myself.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #11

FWIW, I hit both KBB and NADA for my TV. KBB came in AVERAGE TRADE IN VALUE price of what I paid for the truck when I bought it brand new 5.5 yrs ago. NADA AVERAGE TRADE IN price was $14k less than KBB.
Now how the heck can there be a spread of $14k???

Retail, KBB is $1k more than I paid for it, NADA is $6600 less than I paid for it.

I did a search for my same truck in the used market to see what they were going for. Closest I could find, +/- 5000mi, close in options, and as far as condition goes, everyone's version of excellent condition is different. I can guarantee mine is going to be better than ALMOST ALL of those found in the used market. The used market values of the comparables I found were about $3k less than I paid for mine. Seems insane to me, but...

Either way, even if someone was going to give me what I paid for my truck, or even my trailer, I'd prolly turn it down. I like what I have too much and the new stuff out there just dont blow my dress up so to speak.

As stated before, the book prices aren't writing you a check for it.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
FWIW, I hit both KBB and NADA for my TV. KBB came in AVERAGE TRADE IN VALUE price of what I paid for the truck when I bought it brand new 5.5 yrs ago. NADA AVERAGE TRADE IN price was $14k less than KBB.
Now how the heck can there be a spread of $14k???

Retail, KBB is $1k more than I paid for it, NADA is $6600 less than I paid for it.

I did a search for my same truck in the used market to see what they were going for. Closest I could find, +/- 5000mi, close in options, and as far as condition goes, everyone's version of excellent condition is different. I can guarantee mine is going to be better than ALMOST ALL of those found in the used market. The used market values of the comparables I found were about $3k less than I paid for mine. Seems insane to me, but...

Either way, even if someone was going to give me what I paid for my truck, or even my trailer, I'd prolly turn it down. I like what I have too much and the new stuff out there just dont blow my dress up so to speak.

As stated before, the book prices aren't writing you a check for it.
I have noticed the difference in NADA vs KBB too. I was talking to a bank lady one time and she said most all banks will use NADA values and KBB. She said banks trust NADA values more for actual loan values. She also said most dealerships love to use KBB because the trade in values are normally much lower and a lot of the time the retail values are higher. Ever notice how every car dealer you speak with always refers to only using KBB? I have not one time ever found one that would want to look at NADA numbers.

According to book values, my 2014 Tacoma is now worth more than when I bought it over 3 years ago.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #13

Yes, I've noticed that most dealers use KBB. Back in the day dealers always used NADA, then it seemed like KBB came out of nowhere and dealers found that book favored dealers with their lower trade in prices and such.
Now it seems like NADA has the lower trade in, but has lower retail too. To me, it seems like NADA is a bit more realistic than KBB.

Oddly enough, I found my insurance company uses NADA vs KBB when I was insuring my 5th wheel. I thought the insured price was a little low. I told them I had the original build sticker and proof of the additional "mods" that were done and they had no problem upping the insured price. Yes, my rate went up but it was very minimal.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Way back in the '70s when I was in the business, we'd get an NADA guide book in the mail every month. That was by dealer subscription only. No computers to tell you. Back then, NADA gauged their prices based on monthly actual sales figures. It was an accurate guide. I'm not even sure KBB existed back then.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #15

Dealers use the Black Book and not Kelly Blue Book. There is a substantial difference and the Black Book always favors dealers. Black Book values are not available to consumers and are used by dealers and lenders.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Blackbook-Values
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #16

Cleaning and decluttering campers, especially older ones, can make a world of difference. We sold our 2004 unit several years back. The person that bought it came and looked at it and agreed to our full price on the spot. And, ours was the highest priced one they looked at. The difference, according to them, was that every other older unit looked, well, old. They were often dirty and cluttered and looked like a 15 year old unit. We'd taken the time to wash and wax the outside, clean the windows, thoroughly clean the inside, and remove the clutter.

Curb appeal, it really matters.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #17

I used NADA to price our 2019 tt. Wife cleaned it from top to bottom. Not that it really needed it. I made sure everything was in tip top shape which required one exterior speaker replaced and one exterior light replacement. Listed it on RVTrader and sold it three days later for many thousands more than we paid for it. It’s a sellers market.

Here’s hoping the MH we ordered late February arrives before the season is over.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #18

Nada

So is the current NADA value range what it lists as Low Retail and Average Retail? In this case $25,350 - $30,550. Or is that what it really sold for back in 2019?

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/...6584605/Values
Attached Thumbnails
NADA 2019 White Hawk M-24MBH.jpg  
PJCatch12 is offline   Reply With Quote