Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

Whether or not to get a larger travel trailer

Hello,
My wife and I are trying to decide whether or not to get a larger travel trailer. We currently have a Jayco Jay Feather X17Z. It is small but easy to pull and very easy to get it in and out of pretty much any campsite. We have two boys, ages 3 and 6, and we've been considering getting a bunkhouse to better accommodate everyone as the boys get bigger. The tt we want is 31' overall. My truck will be able to pull it, so that's not a problem, but I am hesitant because right now we can go anywhere we want with the little trailer, and with a larger trailer I'm worried we may not be able to.
I'm apprehensive, not only about driving, turning corners, etc., but getting the longer trailer into sites and even just getting through some of these campgrounds. Although maneuvering/hauling large things isn't entirely new to me, as I grew up on a farm, that was many years ago, and in wide open spaces! So it really comes down to a trade-off between maneuverability versus space, or I guess comfort getting there versus comfort while we're there.

I'm wondering what other people think, what your experiences have been like with larger trailers, and what your advice would be regarding whether to get a larger trailer or stick with the small one.
Thank you!
Wisco Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

My TT is almost 30’ bumper to tongue and I have had zero issues finding a CG with adequate space. Most CG reservation systems on the internet will advise you of any width and length limitations at each particular space before you can make the reservation.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

From what you've said, if I was in your position, I'd wait a few more years. Currently your trailer seems to be treating you well and does what you want it to do.

Depending upon where (how rustic ) you like to camp, a longer trailer will reduce the number of sites you can get into. Depending on how busy the campgrounds are, the size could make a difference between getting a site or not getting one.

Something else that has been true for us, but maybe not for you: The larger our RV, the less likely we've been to camp on long weekends etc.

Happy camping and be safe.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

any chance you can keep the smaller trailer and get the bigger trailer?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

My wife and I purchased our first unit (an HTT X23B) as an experiment to see how well we liked trailering. After 2 years we upgraded to the current 5th and after 3+ years we love the space and comfort. I did have to learn the differences in towing a 5th vs a bumper-pull and had a few “oops” moments. The biggest difference for me was making a right turn. My mantra is now “turn late and turn wide”. I’m also very cautious about fuel stops, I make sure I have a way out before entering. Our 5th is built for 2 people but if we still had kids at home I would have targeted a bunk house model but as it is our son, DIL and g’son can still stay with us in decent comfort (recently spent 12 nights at WDW with them).
I am retired (old, fat and lazy) and target FHU CG’s and at 39’ we select ones that advertise they can accommodate our length.
I think off and on about downsizing to a smaller 5th but we both enjoy the space and comfort.
The big 5th also gave me the right excuse to buy a really comfy TV.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Team

I went in reverse order than most RV owners. We had a 31' Airstream first, a 26' Nash second, and now our 22BHM Jayco. Do we miss the space of the larger units, at times. But, we use this smaller one much more than the other 2 combined. This little Jayco is perfect for the hook up and go owners we are. We use it nearly every weekend.

If you want more space, by all means do it. But remember that RV's are not a one size fits all product. Choose the one that matches your needs and traveling style and you will always be happy with your unit.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
My TT is almost 30’ bumper to tongue and I have had zero issues finding a CG with adequate space. Most CG reservation systems on the internet will advise you of any width and length limitations at each particular space before you can make the reservation.
Thank you. That is reassuring.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

From what you've said, if I was in your position, I'd wait a few more years. Currently your trailer seems to be treating you well and does what you want it to do.

Depending upon where (how rustic ) you like to camp, a longer trailer will reduce the number of sites you can get into. Depending on how busy the campgrounds are, the size could make a difference between getting a site or not getting one.

Something else that has been true for us, but maybe not for you: The larger our RV, the less likely we've been to camp on long weekends etc.

Happy camping and be safe.
Thank you. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take our time and make sure we're making the right choice.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I boondock most of the time and haven't found a spot yet I couldn't get in.
Just use common sense and enjoy with the family the comforts of home.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
any chance you can keep the smaller trailer and get the bigger trailer?
I have thought about this. It would solve the dilemma, alright. Not sure I can justify the extra payment, though.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

Totally depends on where you want to camp. In the Northeast NF and NP campgrounds limit length. Its very hard to find a site that will accommodate over 26 feet. Same for the Adirondack DEC campgrounds in NY stete ( which are beautiful)
If you want an RV park the above is not true. We don't want to go bigger because the next year the TT will be loaded on a 12 hour ferry ride. To Newfoundland.. They charge mightily by the foot.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
My wife and I purchased our first unit (an HTT X23B) as an experiment to see how well we liked trailering. After 2 years we upgraded to the current 5th and after 3+ years we love the space and comfort. I did have to learn the differences in towing a 5th vs a bumper-pull and had a few “oops” moments. The biggest difference for me was making a right turn. My mantra is now “turn late and turn wide”. I’m also very cautious about fuel stops, I make sure I have a way out before entering. Our 5th is built for 2 people but if we still had kids at home I would have targeted a bunk house model but as it is our son, DIL and g’son can still stay with us in decent comfort (recently spent 12 nights at WDW with them).
I am retired (old, fat and lazy) and target FHU CG’s and at 39’ we select ones that advertise they can accommodate our length.
I think off and on about downsizing to a smaller 5th but we both enjoy the space and comfort.
The big 5th also gave me the right excuse to buy a really comfy TV.
Thank you. I believe I will adopt that same mantra if and when we get a larger trailer!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I went in reverse order than most RV owners. We had a 31' Airstream first, a 26' Nash second, and now our 22BHM Jayco. Do we miss the space of the larger units, at times. But, we use this smaller one much more than the other 2 combined. This little Jayco is perfect for the hook up and go owners we are. We use it nearly every weekend.

If you want more space, by all means do it. But remember that RV's are not a one size fits all product. Choose the one that matches your needs and traveling style and you will always be happy with your unit.
Interesting. I could see how ease of use would factor into how often you go. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
I boondock most of the time and haven't found a spot yet I couldn't get in.
Just use common sense and enjoy with the family the comforts of home.
Thank you for replying ALJO. How long is your trailer, if I may ask?
Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Totally depends on where you want to camp. In the Northeast NF and NP campgrounds limit length. Its very hard to find a site that will accommodate over 26 feet. Same for the Adirondack DEC campgrounds in NY stete ( which are beautiful)
If you want an RV park the above is not true. We don't want to go bigger because the next year the TT will be loaded on a 12 hour ferry ride. To Newfoundland.. They charge mightily by the foot.
Thank you for your reply. That's certainly worth considering. We've talked about going on a ferry across Lake Michigan, and they also charge by the foot.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Our Jay Feather is 31 ft. and fairly low profile compared with the TT they build now.
I raised the TT with sub-frame 4 - 9/16 " so I can get in most places even when approaches are fairly steep.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco Dude View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are trying to decide whether or not to get a larger travel trailer. We currently have a Jayco Jay Feather X17Z. It is small but easy to pull and very easy to get it in and out of pretty much any campsite. We have two boys, ages 3 and 6, and we've been considering getting a bunkhouse to better accommodate everyone as the boys get bigger. The tt we want is 31' overall. My truck will be able to pull it, so that's not a problem, but I am hesitant because right now we can go anywhere we want with the little trailer, and with a larger trailer I'm worried we may not be able to.
I'm apprehensive, not only about driving, turning corners, etc., but getting the longer trailer into sites and even just getting through some of these campgrounds. Although maneuvering/hauling large things isn't entirely new to me, as I grew up on a farm, that was many years ago, and in wide open spaces! So it really comes down to a trade-off between maneuverability versus space, or I guess comfort getting there versus comfort while we're there.

I'm wondering what other people think, what your experiences have been like with larger trailers, and what your advice would be regarding whether to get a larger trailer or stick with the small one.
Thank you!
We started camping in a tent when the boys were barely out of diapers. When they were 5 and 8 we bought a 14' 23 year old RV trailer. It had a convertible couch for Mom & Dad, a loft overcab for the youngest boy and the dinette converted to a bed for the older one. We thought we were in heaven. The good times and memories will last a lifetime and nobody ever complained about it being too small or anything else. The boys continued to come with us even after they were out of High School.

Fast forward, both boys grew up and on are their own and bought their own trailers. When our 14 was 50 years old we moved her up the hill for the grandkids and we bought a 19' Jayco with a queen bed, microwave and all the un-necessaries that we always lived without. Now Mother is in heaven - she can use a hair dryer finally.

The point is bigger isn't always better. Easy to trail and park, low payments and family fun is where its at.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
We started camping in a tent when the boys were barely out of diapers. When they were 5 and 8 we bought a 14' 23 year old RV trailer. It had a convertible couch for Mom & Dad, a loft overcab for the youngest boy and the dinette converted to a bed for the older one. We thought we were in heaven. The good times and memories will last a lifetime and nobody ever complained about it being too small or anything else. The boys continued to come with us even after they were out of High School.

Fast forward, both boys grew up and on are their own and bought their own trailers. When our 14 was 50 years old we moved her up the hill for the grandkids and we bought a 19' Jayco with a queen bed, microwave and all the un-necessaries that we always lived without. Now Mother is in heaven - she can use a hair dryer finally.

The point is bigger isn't always better. Easy to trail and park, low payments and family fun is where its at.
That's a great perspective. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #19

Our trailer is 30’ tip to tail. There is only one state park that is difficult to get a site in. The sites there are not very big and sites that can accommodate the length are limited. No other issues with going where we want to go. I have never encountered a site that I couldn’t get the camper in. We had a 10’ box popup prior to the unit we now have so the learning curve was similar. Honestly I find it easier to get the larger camper parked. On one trip last year I took a wrong turn and pulled into a fast food place to turn around. I couldn’t tell that you couldn’t go all the way around the building until it was too late so I had to get turned around in that tiny parking lot with multiple cars in the way. After towing for 6 years you get used to it and learn to maneuver in tight spots. You’ll be fine.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #20

My 28DSBH is 33' long. I bought it almost two years ago when my daughter was 6 months old and son was 2.5. Two years later all works well.

I have never towed any other travel trailer before this one. I am extremely happy with the choice.

One of the considerations: a bigger trailer limits number of sites you can fit into. I am generally booking 6-7 months in advance, but still there are limitations (e.g. Yosemite Valley).
bono is offline   Reply With Quote