Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #21

There will always be rude and thoughtless people. RVing usually requires a lot of dealing with others. I find that the majority of fellow campers are aware of RV/camping etiquette and are, for the most part, considerate. But of course, it only takes a few to ruin things, and there's always a few.

The rudest thing I've encountered this year is the blatant flying of political flags. We are all on vacation here folks and we're just trying to relax and get away from it all for a short while. Whatever political flag you fly on either side is definitely going to upset people. Why intentionally do something that's sure to upset your fellow campers while they're on their vacation? How awful is that? Please leave your divisive political views at home and let's all try to be friends and have a good time at least while we're camping. Please don't ruin it for others.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
There will always be rude and thoughtless people. RVing usually requires a lot of dealing with others. I find that the majority of fellow campers are aware of RV/camping etiquette and are, for the most part, considerate. But of course, it only takes a few to ruin things, and there's always a few.

The rudest thing I've encountered this year is the blatant flying of political flags. We are all on vacation here folks and we're just trying to relax and get away from it all for a short while. Whatever political flag you fly on either side is definitely going to upset people. Why intentionally do something that's sure to upset your fellow campers while they're on their vacation? How awful is that? Please leave your divisive political views at home and let's all try to be friends and have a good time at least while we're camping. Please don't ruin it for others.

Agree 100%. Some feel the need to wear their politics like gangsta colors. I am here in camp to get away from all that.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Agree 100%. Some feel the need to wear their politics like gangsta colors. I am here in camp to get away from all that.
It's so wonderful to know someone else agrees.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #24

Too funny.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:22 PM   #25

There does, however, seem to be a one-sided opinion with much less to no representation from an alternate opinion. And the veiled profanity?
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
Old 03-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #26

I don't like motels. You know they are filthy. You have to pack all your stuff in and out every stop on a long trip. I can stop at a rest area or truck stop anywhere for the night. Also reduces the need to be at the right place each night. Most cities have free dump stations where I can dump the gray water and refill the fresh water. A few don't have fresh water but we can get 2 or 3 nights out of that. I can take anything I want with me. I can buy anything I see along the road as long as it fits in the truck or trailer. I have found things I was looking for at good deals on trips. Things too big to bring back on a plane or in a small car. It's also nice to be able to stop and do things along the way which you can't do when flying. But travel by car without an RV isn't so nice. You can't stop and make something to eat anywhere you want. Also with RV travel you can take the pets. When we stop to do something the trailer has heat and a generator for the AC. So the pets are safe in there till we get back. It's not for everyone. My lady didn't want to even try it. But I had had them for years. However I talked her into taking a trip from Seattle to LA. We had 2 weeks. I made sure we stopped along the way to do things she likes. And her bird got to go. We like roller coasters. Flying means 1 maybe 2 places if they are nearby. On that trip we went to 2 in the bay area 3 in LA and 1 in San Diego. She was sold. That's 25 years ago. Flying is a much bigger hassle now. I only fly now when I must for work. And I hate it. I don't think a lot of the new RV folks will give up that easy. It's just a better way to travel. Gas prices however may make getting sites a lot easier this year.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:27 PM   #27

We have been camping since 1977 when we purchased a 19' self-contained. We had a lot to learn, including getting the correct tow vehicle - 1974 Plymouth 'Cuda - it towed the trailer and stopped just fine. The clutch was another story! We meet a lot of very helpful campers along the way.

Back then there was NO Google or YouTube to watch. If you ran into an issue most of the time other campers would help you out.

Several years ago, there was a family 2 sites down and the man was having trouble connecting up to go home. Already knew he was a newbie so went down to see if he needed any help. We weren't in any hurry to leave so not a big deal for us. Rude...absolutely rude. And he damaged his tow vehicle while trying to connect the trailer. Oh well... And his children had no campground etiquette, cutting through our site. At one point we had our Great Dane out on her leash, laying on her "bed". My DW stopped them and asked them to please go around. We were with friends and when we went to their site, we made sure to "ask permission" to enter their site & DW made sure she was loud enough for this family to hear her. Yes, DW can be a .....
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #28

RV'ing is a great amount of stress. Last week we took our 4th trip to Fort Wilderness in last 5 years. Just this 2800 mile trip, had to deal with -

- carrying kids bikes on bike rack for first time and worrying about it falling off entire time. Until it did after 750 miles on horrendous i95 roads in SC. Bike fell off and struck a tractor trailer breaking its headlight (that's a whole story by itself).
- forecasted temps around 90 in Orlando for week and wondering if AC will hold up
- torrential downpours daily in Orlando from Mon-Thur, and being sure to retract awning
- driving through an hour plus of torrential downpours on return thru Jacksonville
- heavy thunderstorms followed by excessive winds from GA-VA, 20-40mph gusts entire way on i95 (white knuckle driving).
- freeze in VA where wind chill was in single digits and water hose and spigot froze overnight
- driving thru snow squalls in PA with zero visibility
- unhooking and hooking with freezing hands and wind in your face
- constantly worrying about a tire blowout or a car pointing out something is wrong when passing by
- cars constantly cutting you off
- waking at 3am to switch the propane tank because one ran out

When we get to the site and set up, it's a great feeling. But it's a ton of stress and I wonder how many of the covid campers can bear it.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #29

Why new RV'ers will disappear

It is, but I’ll take that stress minus the bicycle flying off the back. Actually I see them as challenges. I’m about to head to Marco Island in Florida for a few days. it’ll be fun and easy due hotel, airline, restaurants and rental car. However, to be honest I get more excited about the stresses or challenges of a long RV trip.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Old 03-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
RV'ing is a great amount of stress. Last week we took our 4th trip to Fort Wilderness in last 5 years. Just this 2800 mile trip, had to deal with -
We stopped taking long trips because for us it just wasn't worth it anymore. Even short trips are getting to be a burden. What used to be fun, the prep work in the spring, loading for a trip, towing, setting up on arrival, are things we just dread now. The last few years we've been thinking about all this. The only thing that's fun now is after setup and before breakdown to go home.

We've done a few non-camping trips here and there, AirNBs, nicer resort suites, that sort of thing. Really stress free.

So our favorite CG was sold to a national company and it just won't be the same. It was the trigger for us to get out of the "life". After 37 years of camping, we'll soon be putting our trailer up for sale.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:18 AM   #31

Quote:

- carrying kids bikes on bike rack for first time and worrying about it falling off entire time.
- forecasted temps around 90 in Orlando for week and wondering if AC will hold up
- torrential downpours daily in Orlando from Mon-Thur, and being sure to retract awning
- driving through an hour plus of torrential downpours on return thru Jacksonville
- heavy thunderstorms followed by excessive winds from GA-VA, 20-40mph gusts entire way on i95 (white knuckle driving).
- freeze in VA where wind chill was in single digits and water hose and spigot froze overnight
- driving thru snow squalls in PA with zero visibility
- unhooking and hooking with freezing hands and wind in your face
- constantly worrying about a tire blowout or a car pointing out something is wrong when passing by
- cars constantly cutting you off
- waking at 3am to switch the propane tank because one ran out

When we get to the site and set up, it's a great feeling. But it's a ton of stress and I wonder how many of the covid campers can bear it.
Hmmm. I thought camping with family was about having fun, and not about being stressful. If it's stressful to you, then it's time to find something else to enjoy with the family. Sure, the weather sometimes does not cooperate, but it's not like that all year (I live in Gainesville).

I guess reading through these posts, there will be less campers in the near future.

Me personally, I can't wait to go on the next trip with the camper. Yes, fuel is high, and it might be a bit of work to bring along the stuff for the family. Try doing a bit each day in prep as to not be stressed out doing it all at once.

The option of sitting at home watching myself get older is not the better choice for me opposed to going on a camping trip. I enjoy the trip, the camp itself, and meeting new folks to name a few. I regret not doing more when my son was younger.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
Old 03-15-2022, 04:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
It is, but I’ll take that stress minus the bicycle flying off the back. Actually I see them as challenges. I’m about to head to Marco Island in Florida for a few days. it’ll be fun and easy due hotel, airline, restaurants and rental car. However, to be honest I get more excited about the stresses or challenges of a long RV trip.
Amen. I could not have said this any better.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
Old 03-15-2022, 05:25 AM   #33

You got to love the washboard interstate through Iowa. As for relieving the stress, it’s not a trip, it’s a journey. I keep it in the left or middle lane on the interstate, try to keep the speed at the sweet spot on the interstate (about 67 mph @3100 rpm in 5th) and enjoy the ride. If I’m slowing someone down, too bad. Keep it at or below the speed limit on the side roads. If I’m slowing someone down, too bad. If someone cuts me off, if that is the worst thing to happen to me that day, it was a pretty good day. As for setting up, I try to improve my staging of the necessities every trip to make that chore a bit easier. May take some RV mods, which is a good thing!
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Old 03-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #34

Just saw this same question on a FB group.

Yep - many bought during the pandemic and later when airlines opened up said 'let's fly' abandoning their RV. Also, many noobs bought on time [monthly payments] and now see they are paying for a product they don't use every day.

The RV market will suffer some from the glut of vehicles but some folks wanting to upgrade for a fraction of new cost can do so -- it pays to wait.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
Old 03-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
Just saw this same question on a FB group.

Yep - many bought during the pandemic and later when airlines opened up said 'let's fly' abandoning their RV. Also, many noobs bought on time [monthly payments] and now see they are paying for a product they don't use every day.

The RV market will suffer some from the glut of vehicles but some folks wanting to upgrade for a fraction of new cost can do so -- it pays to wait.
The problem is that we are screwed as well... our trade-in will be worth a lot less due to the glut.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #36

Me too!

"Terrible at backing up their rigs" - describes me perfectly. I always get there eventually, but it usually takes me two or three tries to get it right. My rig is a fifth-wheel with three axels, turns like an aircraft carrier!
Old 03-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #37

Quote:
The problem is that we are screwed as well... our trade-in will be worth a lot less due to the glut.
It is just a fact you and I need to accept. Noob buyers always make life more difficult for the rest of us.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
Old 03-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I hope you are right. The shear number of "Covid Camper" out there is staggering. You can spot them a mile away at a campground. They are the ones who have no understanding of campground etiquette, Can't back their RV to save their lives, have no concept of how to use any of the hundreds of dollars worth of "gear" they bought and the list goes on and on. But they ran out and bought the first camper they saw on a lot with little or no research.

It is nearly impossible to find weekend sites at many campgrounds even a few months in advance. Hopefully some trips as you describe will encourage them to go back to staying in their hotels and sell their campers!
I agree completely, I’m glad we’re not the only ones who see how inconsiderate these newbies are. We had a group of three adults and four kids walk right into the middle of our site, pick up the lid we had covering our food on the fire pit to see what we were cooking. My husband and I just looked at each other in disbelief. We take our grandkids with us during the summers and have taught them the way you should camp. Walk around, not thru others campsites. Be considerate, help your neighbor, clean the camp so others will find it clean, not like when we pulled into some spots. Unreal as to the trash left there. be quiet, don’t disturb others. We have a generator, but don’t turn it on, we put solar on our roof so we don’t disturb other at the camp. I’d never think of intruding on others campsites Just a new breed of campers, unfortunately. We’ve both been camping since we were 8 years old. After we were married at 18 yrs old, We started out in a tent, after we had kids went to a tent trailer, then a trailer, small 17’ me too 5th wheel, a trailer, a used motorhome, then a trailer, back to a motorhome. We only were able to buy a new motorhome after we retired and sold our house. We could have never afforded a new unit when we were younger. Our entertainment while we are sitting in camp is watching these newbies, and some just not good drivers try to back their units in. It’s great entertainment. Then watch them try to set up. It’s a great show. We even had one ask us to move our motorhome because they couldn’t get their unit in a hugh spot. We were inside our site by over ten feet. Heaven help them when driving on the road….. reminds of the drivers who are going to the mountains when it snows, not knowing how to put chains on. They stop their cars in the middle of a two lane highway, then put their chains on, or should I say, try to put their chains on inside out, wondering why the spikes are facing their tire, I love it when I tell them, that they are inside out and they look at me l, a woman, like huh?? Or the guy in a campsite trying to get a new 40’ ,class a coach in for over a half hour, hitting a tree five plus times, I finally went to him and said, go in from the other way, wasn’t too happy an old woman told him how to drive, but guess what, he did it and the first try he was in. We got a good laugh after that one…. Guess all of us oldies need to teach the newbies a few things…. Hehehe
Old 03-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #39

Been camping since late sixties and RVing since 1976. We were all newbies once and some of us decided it sucked and others fell in love with the concept. Tis true, the ads make it look easy, simple and everyday one of sheer joy. As we all know, it doesn't quite work out that way. I give newbies a hand when they ask and hope they find what they are looking for in camping and RVing. Some will, some won't, but being helpful when it is needed and staying out the way when it is not works in every aspect of life.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Just glad I am not 10 deep in line at the boat ramp. That's where the real show is.
Unless you live in the Keys with a boat on davits and 15 min to the reef. Loving retired life RVing and boating. It’s not all roses though stuff breaks all the time but keeps me busy.
Closed Thread