Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Would you shop or buy from this dealer?
Yes, I would proceed. 2 2.25%
No, I'd walk away and shop elsewhere. 87 97.75%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 PM   #1

Would You Buy From This Dealer

So, I have a friend that works at a RV dealer as a salesman. We used to work together offshore. He got laid off about a year before I did, but we have remained close friends. Now that he's on the "inside", I do get to hear a thing or two about sales at this dealer, including the crooked crap that goes on.

At this dealer, all rigs are locked. The normal protocol is to walk in the office, lay out all of your info (name and general info, credit score on a 1-10 rating, budget, amount you'd put on down payment, what you're looking for etc.). This is all before you go on the lot to see a rig. After that the salesman goes with you by the manager's office, the manager sees your info and names off how ever many rigs that might fit what you're looking for. Then and only then do you proceed to the lot (with the salesman) to see those rigs.

So the question is, would you go through this aggravating crap, or would you walk / proceed to another dealer.

I'd walk.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #2

When we are looking at a trailer the last thing I want is a high pressure salesman walking around the lot with me. I want to go into the trailers, look around, kick the tires, complement/criticize, etc.
Ditto for a new car. The dealers/salemen I like are the ones that say "Here is my card, feel free to walk around, and let me know if you want to take something for a drive"

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

Leave it to me to have a brain fart and vote wrong. First vote (ME) was supposed to be to walk away and I clicked on the wrong thing. So, subtract 1 from the poll on the "Yes, I would proceed".
Old 12-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Leave it to me to have a brain fart and vote wrong. First vote (ME) was supposed to be to walk away and I clicked on the wrong thing. So, subtract 1 from the poll on the "Yes, I would proceed".
LOL! I figured it was either you or me!

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #5

DanNJanice, that's how I am. Odd, but I had one dealer that did have all of the rigs locked, and they gave me the master key and said have at it (After I said I'd walk if I couldn't see them on my own). I don't want to be bothered, I just want to look and shop undisturbed.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #6

I don't mind a salesperson with me to answer questions, but they don't need any info except my first name until I find something worth talking about. And they will never get my credit info, because anything we buy for a toy is a cash deal. The moment they start asking for that, I'm walking out.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #7

To me, giving over this information just to look at possible purchases is just not acceptable; an dealership operating in this manner waves a big caution flag that reads STOP! LEAVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
... credit score on a 1-10 rating, budget, amount you'd put on down payment ...
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

I walk into our dealer, ask, and they hand me their Master key.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #9

In the beginning of the search I would have walked. At the end, after we knew the exact model we wanted, I would continue. I don't mind a gloves off negotiation.

The dealer I bought from was low key but goofy. He used his wild card close on us. Seems that just that morning the owners gave each sales person a "wild card" to make any crazy deal and he decided to use it on us! If I looked at my wife I would have cracked up.

I'm not certain if he paid to learn that close or invented it himself. We had been back twice, and had been sitting in the unit for two hours. We told him here is the one want and here is the target price. I simple you have a deal would have worked. Or even press hard you are making two copies would have worked.

But after 25 years in sales management the show was worth watching. I didn't even pound him too hard on the add ons.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

I would wonder if the net price goes up with the better credit score. Also, I hate junk mail.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #11

When we were looking the lot we were at has all the trailers locked for security reasons. We never gave out last names or finance info. A salesman did go along with us and was very helpful with information and showing us what we asked for. He also knew we did not want to be hounded and we were not ready to purchase. He even did this when it was 115 out. 2-3 months later we came back to him and talked money. Within 15 minutes we were signing. So my answer would be depends on dealer treatment. As far as getting scores and manager telling me what I want is crap.
owtdorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #12

Our last 2 units were purchased at an RV Show. Never set foot in a dealership. Great prices and no sales pressure.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #13

I negotiated public sector contracts most of my adult life. I love to toy with salesman that think they are winning. I play with them until they realize I am not a toy and they are not the cat. I buy on my terms , period or I don't buy. I will not go into any negotiation unprepared. I do my research, and fight hard for what I want.

I am never afraid to walk away. This being said I do understand that it is their job to sell for as high a price as is possible, but I will not be duped by insane sales tactics...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #14

When shopping for the current TT, I had visited a 'high-pressure' dealership. Walked away feeling slimed! Never gave them any info beyond name, address and needs. Looked at several. Didn't have what I wanted in stock.

At CW, having the sales rep present as we looked at units was fairly helpful. We could state what was good or bad to home in on something we would actually buy. It didn't help since I fell in love with a unit just sitting off to the side....

Generally, I won't give a vendor any credit info until AFTER we've settled on price and I've decided to use their loan source.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #15

Would You Buy From This Dealer

Ahh, but it's amazing how many 'sheep' there are in the world! There are an amazing number of people that would just go with the flow, give up their info and believe all the BS.

In a world where time is money and RVs are flying out the door faster than they can do dealer prep, many dealers would rather let an educated negotiator walk out and spend that time 'shearing ' a few more sheep.

Right now it's a sellers market so your best bet is to do your homework, and walk out if it doesn't feel right.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #16

I absolutely would walk away, and I'd let them know exactly why.

My dealer was great in this respect. All the units are unlocked on the lot during operating hours. They call it their "always on RV show". First time I walked on the lot, a salesperson approached us, asked if we needed any help, I said "no, not yet" and he said "well, come find me if you need anything" and trotted off; best thing ever IMO. If you need a salesperson, they're never far off, but they're certainly not with you or hounding you unless you ask them to come along.

I always find it hard to speak candidly in front of a sales person, and not having them around allows DW and I to frankly and openly discuss our thoughts. Granted, we have our own "code" when the salesperson is there, but it's nicer when we can just be ourselves. We also feel it's important to spend some time in the unit as if you're actually using it, and that's hard to do without the salesman feeling like you're "wasting his/her time".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I don't mind a salesperson with me to answer questions, but they don't need any info except my first name until I find something worth talking about.
+1 show me what you have
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #18

We noticed ours lurking within earshot. My DW tossed out a low ball price for him to overhear. I mentioned another dealer's package. I never want to be antagonistic. I like the salesperson to think we are working together.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #19

It all depends on the deal. I'd have no problems going through that hassle if I already mostly knew what I wanted, but if I didn't know... I'd do more research on my own up front.

When I buy a camper, or a vehicle, I usually know more about their inventory than they do with all the research I've done. If they don't have the exact item I want in stock, I won't bother showing up. I save my 'window shopping' for the trade shows.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #20

Lots of good tips here about dealing with salespeople and dealers. I would emphasize NEVER giving any financial information, especially your budget or amount you want to spend. Once salespeople discover that, they push you toward the models that will give them the most profit. Your goal is to get the best value/deal, and that's where research can show you what a good price would be for a particular unit. Good negotiating tips are listed on some car-buying websites; just search online for them. Good luck.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote