Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

First TT

Hi All,

A little over a year ago(August 2017) I picked up a used(but very clean) 2012 Jayco JayFeather X213. My wife and I had recently had our first baby and decided that tent camping and camping out of the bed of my F150 was no longer cutting it.

This is my/our first camper and the first few trips were certainly a bit trial and error but things have generally smoothed out. My biggest gripe has been that much of the camping here in Utah seems to be first come, first serve. We do a lot of dispersed camping either in National Forests or on BLM land in Southern Utah and it can be a major PITA if you show up later on a Friday and dont know where you are, but we are figuring it out. We both work, so getting out on the road early can be tough.

My truck is a 2014 F150 Supercrew with 6.5' bed, so its big and heavy(6140 lbs). I bought it in February of 2015 with the intention of buying a TT at some point so I got an Ecoboost with the Max Tow package. I run a 5Star towing tune and the truck is an absolute dream to tow with. Super stable and more power than I would ever need. My only complaint is that I got a fully loaded Lariat so my payload is only ~1560 lbs but its fine for the trailer I currently have.

Here is my setup:

My biggest complaint with the trailer so far has been ground clearance. it sits quite low to the ground and it's a bit unnerving when trying to look for a campsite on rugged forest roads. i have not had an issue yet, but I am waiting for the day that I tear off my blackwater drain or something. I knew you could do axle flips and lifts on some trailers, but I neglected to look under it and realize it had torsion axles with some custom plate attaching them to the frame until after I bought it. This is what led me here actually. I was searching Google for ways to get the trailer up a bit higher.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Hi All,

A little over a year ago(August 2017) I picked up a used(but very clean) 2012 Jayco JayFeather X213. My wife and I had recently had our first baby and decided that tent camping and camping out of the bed of my F150 was no longer cutting it.

This is my/our first camper and the first few trips were certainly a bit trial and error but things have generally smoothed out. My biggest gripe has been that much of the camping here in Utah seems to be first come, first serve. We do a lot of dispersed camping either in National Forests or on BLM land in Southern Utah and it can be a major PITA if you show up later on a Friday and dont know where you are, but we are figuring it out. We both work, so getting out on the road early can be tough.

My truck is a 2014 F150 Supercrew with 6.5' bed, so its big and heavy(6140 lbs). I bought it in February of 2015 with the intention of buying a TT at some point so I got an Ecoboost with the Max Tow package. I run a 5Star towing tune and the truck is an absolute dream to tow with. Super stable and more power than I would ever need. My only complaint is that I got a fully loaded Lariat so my payload is only ~1560 lbs but its fine for the trailer I currently have.

Here is my setup:

My biggest complaint with the trailer so far has been ground clearance. it sits quite low to the ground and it's a bit unnerving when trying to look for a campsite on rugged forest roads. i have not had an issue yet, but I am waiting for the day that I tear off my blackwater drain or something. I knew you could do axle flips and lifts on some trailers, but I neglected to look under it and realize it had torsion axles with some custom plate attaching them to the frame until after I bought it. This is what led me here actually. I was searching Google for ways to get the trailer up a bit higher.

Congrats on your Jayco!! Looks awesome.

Yeah it can be a pain trying to find campsites anymore with all the RV's out there now. Have to try to plan most of the time. Sometimes you do get lucky.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Congrats on your Jayco!! Looks awesome.

Yeah it can be a pain trying to find campsites anymore with all the RV's out there now. Have to try to plan most of the time. Sometimes you do get lucky.
Thanks!

I have always been able to find a spot, but many times it involved driving around at 8:30 pm in the dark on some rugged dirt road, baby screaming in the back, and just settling for whatever we could find.

We've basically just said, screw it, if we cannot leave Thursday night or earlier on Friday then don't go at all.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Welcome from Alabama. Looks good.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. There are some great contributors and great ideas here.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

Regarding your clearance issue some campers can have the axles "flipped" which give a few inches clearance. Based on your picture it looks like you have it set to tow in a very level setup. That helps prevent dragging the back end.

I had a Trailmanor model that had the drains right behind the tire, as in 8 inchs separation. Others with that model built a cage around the pipes or reinforced mudflaps. Trail rated jeeps have skid pans. Maybe one or the other would ease your fear of dragging.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote