Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Hello and a newbie question—-

Hello everyone! My better half and I just bought a 2015 Jayco 28BHS—It is our first travel trailer and we love it. So far we have camped where full hook ups are available but we would like to start dry camping soon. To this end I managed to hustle a little em500 Honda generator. I know this is not enough to power our A/C or microwave — but will it charge our batteries so we can use the lights and other appliances? It is had a little 120/15 AC outlet. Does anyone have any experience using one of these dry camping? How long should I run it? We are so excited to get out and camp in the woods and still have a BED!
RVNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie View Post
Hello everyone! My better half and I just bought a 2015 Jayco 28BHS—It is our first travel trailer and we love it. So far we have camped where full hook ups are available but we would like to start dry camping soon. To this end I managed to hustle a little em500 Honda generator. I know this is not enough to power our A/C or microwave — but will it charge our batteries so we can use the lights and other appliances? It is had a little 120/15 AC outlet. Does anyone have any experience using one of these dry camping? How long should I run it? We are so excited to get out and camp in the woods and still have a BED!
Batteries charge slowly. I'm thinking a few hours might be necessary if you've run them down somewhat. Solar is a better option, no smell, no noise, on the job all day long!

One thing you should do to keep your power requirements to a minimum is change all your lights to LED if they're not already. It will make a big difference.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Warm up the little genset, plug in the RV. If it is way over it will kill the engine or blow the fuse.

If it runs and charges make sure your voltage stays up to close to the rating on the genset. It if is much lower something will burn out, either the genset or the inverter big$$
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Get yourself a Digital Voltage Display something like the one below. It will be a lot easier monitoring your battery voltage. Rule of thumb is when the battery voltage hits 12.0VDC, you need to stop using your battery power... it is the 50% rule of batteries.

You did not mention if this was a new TT or purchased used. The reason I ask is do you know the history of the TT battery?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #5

Great info

My TT is used, but from a reputable dealership. That is a good tip on the battery state. With two batteries do I have to unhook them from one another or is it enough to get a reading with a voltmeter while they are attached? Affordable solar panel suggestions?
RVNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

The batteries, which should be a matched pair, should show the same state of charge. You could always disconnect one at a time and eyeball your monitor to see if one of your batteries is not behaving properly.

There is a solar forum here that will tell you all you need to know though you may get a bit overwhelmed.

For reference, this is what I've done. I bought a 130W monocrystalline panel, Z brackets to hold it to the roof, a cheap PWM 20A controller, and some solar wire connectors--all from ebay. I bought 12 guage low voltage landscape wire from Lowes to hook everything together--the single conductor solar wire seemed inconvenient and a bit of a ripoff.

This gives me enough power for led lights, 2 showers every day, phone charging, occasional furnace just before bed (not all night), occasional radio, fridge on propane, and whatever other miscellaneous parasitic draws the TT has. I'm usually charged back up again by mid afternoon, longer if there's clouds. I've never had a problem, think I spent about $200 for everything.

Hope this gives you something to go on!