Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #21

Go to a nearby rv park with full hookups. You will want to use every system. If you are like me you will need to make one or more trips to Walmart etc for things you didn’t realize you needed. Take notes of issues or questions. Ask for help. If you haven’t picked your trailer up use your phone and video the PDI. Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions or have them sho you again. If the salesman makes a promise to do something get it in writing and on video.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #22

A lot of great advice here.

First trip should be super close with no plans once you get there. Figuring things out will keep you busy enough. Take a paper/pencil for lots of lists that you'll be making: "How to set-up camp" "What to pack before you leave", "How to break down camp", "How to dump the tanks", "What to bring next time", "What to call the dealership about." For me, the lists are endless. I'd be happy to share my lists with you to give you a headstart.

The advice about the training when picking up the RV is solid. Again, take notes. Take a friend/spouse/older kid with you. Preferably someone that will be on the first trip with you. I'd even ask if you could have that person video it because you WILL NOT remember everything. Set aside plenty of time for the training; a couple of hours even. Don't be rushed...even by the sales guy.

Be comfortable with the fact that on the first trip you will not know things, you will forget things, and things may not work. Its okay. Its a journey that last for years.

Don't be afraid to ask campers around you for help/tips. It's a great community.

Know how to build a campfire and take along some adult beverages to reward yourself with a great relaxing evening outdoors.

I wish you the best of luck!

John
auspiciousboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #23

Welcome to RVing and to this forum. It is a great place to get advice. I also have a 24MBH, 2016 model. No regrets. We love the Murphy bed and even my grown up lads can use the bunk beds. Some mods you can think about once you have the trailer for a while. I upgraded the axles that came with the trailer after one of them bent. They were rated for 3000 lb and upgraded to two axes rated for 3500 lb. I did upgrade the tires at purchase, but I think Jayco is putting better tires on now. A fridge fan to reduce ice buildup on the fridge vanes has worked well. And even simpler, we put cardboard between the springs and the foam on the couch because the springs were cutting into the foam. You'll find lots of other mod suggestions as you poke through the forum. You can make this RV your own and enjoy it even more!
amcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #24

Welcome aboard Ryan
usmc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #25

Noob

Hi Newbie,

We were all there at one time. Remember - there are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who won't ask out of embarrassment. WELCOME
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #26

Welcome!

Make sure the dealer walks you through everything, how to, and what to expect.
Make a list of questions, (any and all kinds of questions) to ask at your PDI.
Definitely make sure they show you how to use the WDH (connect/disconnect).
Get dealer promises in writing.
Towing: if you are new to towing, take the rig to a large parking lot and practice backing and turning (Slow backing/Wide Turns) along the lot lines.
Get a feel for the trailer brake assist that came with your truck's tow package. Use it when towing.
Download a pre-towing, site set up and take down checklist of instructions and follow them in the recommended order.
Upon your first outing, fully load TV and TT and take it to the truck scales to get weighed. Compare it to your TV GCWR. Your rig should be well under the MAX.
Essential Items: tow mirrors, toolbox, bubble level, wheel chocks, leveler blocks, surge protector, water pressure regulator/fresh water hose, sewer hose.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #27

Welcome! The part that terrified me the most was backing the trailer into a camping space or extricating myself from pulling in to a place I shouldn't have. The only remedy for this fear that I found is practice. Fortunately, I live across the street from several large medical plazas that are wonderfully vacant on the week-ends and holidays. I would recommend that you find a medical plaza or an open high school parking lot, get at least four traffic cones and plan as many week-ends as you need to get yourself comfortable backing up. I think that as your skills improve, your confidence will too!
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #28

Ryan,

I have a 2016 24MBH. My Family and I absolutely love it. Since I have the same model, if I can assist you in any way let me know. My email address is 33PPDDEB@GMAIL.COM.

Tim
2016 Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #29

Welcome to the forum. And, congrats on approaching the learning curve by watching a lot of Youtube videos. One of my pet peeves (and I have a lot of them), is newbies coming here, and simply asking the members to tell them everything they need to know. Yeah, that'll work (note sarcasm).

We did the Youtube thing, too. Of course, there's plenty of bad info, but it's not hard to separate the wheat from the chaff and get a good education. As you've surmised, this site will fill in the blanks when you need specific information that can't be sourced elsewhere.

What did we ever do without forums.

Good luck with your RV'ing, and an appropriate quote from Red Green might be, 'If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy'.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #30

Welcome from West Michigan. We look at our RV every day and dream and wait for spring.

Advice? Make lists for procedures, things to check, repairs and mods for the future.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #31

Congratulations, we have camped at 324 places and it’s hade to remember where. Luckily we log our campouts! So:
Log your campouts
1. Number the camp outs
2. List where you camped
3. Address
4. Phone number
5. The date
6. How many days
7. Site you were on
8. Rate campground
9. If you return what site you want!
Divecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #32

Shakedown cruise

Kitsap Memorial State park is near you and pretty. Full and partial hookups. If you go there make sure you turn left AT THE SIGN, not at the next light. I ended up turning around the fifth wheel in someone’s driveway on my first try there!! Welcome to PNW RV-ing
WA5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #33

Welcome from Ohio. We passed by in 2019 on our way to Alaska. In that 15k mile trip the camper, the humans and the 20 year old cat all did fine.

If you are handy, take a good selection of small tools. Square drive screwdrivers are a must. Butyl rubber tape is a lifesaver. I use my infrared temperature gauge more than you would imagine (takes only seconds to reveal tire pressure issues). Zip ties and velcro straps of assorted sizes are useful. Walmart has some stuff. Amazon has nearly anything and ships fast. Most campers in campgrounds are thrilled to be asked a question. You will probably make a few permanent friends.

Most of all, store this in your phone:

Jayco Customer Service - 574 825 5861. Also store your vin # and unit serial number. Whether in or out of warranty, they are always helpful, especially if you treat them like your best friend from the start. Warranty-by-Owner is a very real thing, regardless of brand.

Safe travels!
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Welcome aboard. Ditto on driveway camping and thorough walkthrough. Video and ask any questions, no such thing as a dumb question when new to RVing.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #35

Welcome from NJ!
You will find a lot of great people and Help here!!
Nor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #36

What Herlugson just said.
Take your time and go over everything including dry, city, tank fill settings. How to winterize ect.
Have someone with a camcorder tape the instructions as nobody remembers everything.
This allows you to review after you forget.
Have them fix items found right then and there.
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #37

Oh....WELCOME TO THE SITE.
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #38

One noob to another

That was me this last September. I feel your fear. You know it gets better,right?
GregandSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #39

Welcome from Perth, Ontario, Canada. Enjoy your camping experiences!
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #40

Welcome from Alabama, just go slow ask questions and enjoy it
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote