Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #1

Hi I'm swimmy!

Another new guy thread but I'm really stoked to find there is a Jayco forum. I've already learned a ton.

I just bought my first camper. We settled on a 2020 SLX 184BS Baja. It will be mostly a mobile fish camp. We live and play in SW Montana and my wife doesn't like tent camping in bear country. So while this is a new world for us I think it will be a game changer.

Link removed. Produces error message "URL signature expired" when clicked.

Sunrise the other day while on my way to pick 'er up

Our playground

Anyway, just saying hi. Let's do this
swimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #2

Welcome! Lots of info on making "Mods" to increase comfort and utility ( don't tell your wife, but it's kind of fun doing them too). What do you tow with?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Welcome! Lots of info on making "Mods" to increase comfort and utility ( don't tell your wife, but it's kind of fun doing them too). What do you tow with?
Thanks Roger!

2017 5.7 Tundra Crew Max. I also bought the Equalizer tow bar.

I'm eager to learn about the mods...and really everything else there is to learn. Between this forum and youtube I'm already obsessing and trying to get up to speed.

I'm heading out tonight for a solo sesh to one of our local rivers. It will be a good test run before taking my wife out next weekend where we will be a little further off the beaten path.

Getting this dialed is my new purpose in life
Old 05-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #4

Welcome aboard. Wish we had a playground like that near by.

Make sure to bring a notepad and pencil to record all things to remember to bring on the next outing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome aboard.
Pencil and notebook have been added
Old 05-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your 2020 SLX 184BS Baja!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #7

Camp 1 was a success. I can't believe how much fun and comfortable this is.
Just need to make sure I get the camper perfectly level at set up. I'm just a hair off but notice it. My wife is going to absolutely love this.

Sunset

Sunrise

Off to fish today.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

Welcome from York County, South Carolina! Beautiful country in your playground.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #9

Welcome from Western New York...beautiful pictures!
Old 05-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from another Western New Yorker! Very nice!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #11

Welcome from Texas. Montana is on the list to visit some day.
russellmania01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #12

Welcome from Ohio! Glad to see that your playground hasn't been shut down as ours in Ohio has. Enjoy and be safe!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #13

Welcome from another Bozemanite! Our 195RB has a lot of similarities to your rig. We've had it for two years now, and have really enjoyed both camping in it and modifying it.

Hint: One of our favorite early season camping spots is Big Horn NRA out of Lovell, WY. It's not much of a drive from Bozeman and tends to be 5-10 degrees warmer this time of year, and drier. It's usually nearly empty before Memorial Day. The only downside for you might be that it's lake fishing, if you're a river guy.

Anyway, there are so many great camping spots within a half day drive of Bozeman, you're in for a treat.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #14

Thanks folks for saying hi. Great weekend and I think i got most of the kinks worked out.

Probably the highlight was taking a warm shower night two. From a guy who has spent countless nights in the backcountry in a tent, that is a ridiculously awesome luxury.

I can't wait to get my wife out next weekend.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #15

Welcome from Hoosier country! I’m jealous of your “playground” as we’ve contemplated moving out West for awhile now.

Glad to see your so stoked and taking her out into the wild to play. I’m not saying I’m a fortune teller or anything, but let us know when you begin your solar setup you’ve had your eye on.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I’m not saying I’m a fortune teller or anything, but let us know when you begin your solar setup you’ve had your eye on.
Ha. I've already been thinking about it. Pretty much 100% of our camping is boondocking and while I did buy a generator, solar would be nice.

Also, I've searched but haven't gotten too far. Anyone got a good rec on kitchenware? I've just pieced a few things together but looking to invest in some plates, bowls, silverware.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #17

I’ve always used a mix of paper plates and disposable utensils onboard and a set of the old school blue enamel steel plates and bowls. I figure with the paper plates I can heat things in the microwave if needed and feed people while not being worried about my stuff. The metal enamel plates let me stack heavy food from the grill or campfire without fear of it collapsing. Also the metal plates can be set on the edge of a campfire to keep something warm. I wanted something I could destroy lol. I’ve killed plenty of plastic plates so I was over them.

I use a nice kit of stacking mixing bowls/strainer that nest nicely in the cabinet.
I love my thin flexible cutting boards. Lightweight and take up no room.
There is of course a nice cast iron pan that never leaves the camper. To supplement that a small pot for boiling water or making soup/beans etc.
I bought a small set of nice but not cry if I lose it silverware to use if it was just my family and we weren’t using plastic wear.
We tent camped for years and years and learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t in the “field” as it sounds like you did too. I just treated my camper as a big square tent that I never had to take down and I could keep my gear in it forever. What is in my camper stays in my camper. I hate taking things in and out so anything I use in the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom all stay onboard always.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #18

Welcome to forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
Another new guy thread but I'm really stoked to find there is a Jayco forum. I've already learned a ton.

I just bought my first camper. We settled on a 2020 SLX 184BS Baja. It will be mostly a mobile fish camp. We live and play in SW Montana and my wife doesn't like tent camping in bear country. So while this is a new world for us I think it will be a game changer.

Sunrise the other day while on my way to pick 'er up

Our playground

Anyway, just saying hi. Let's do this
We are up here in NW Montana. Been RVing since 2007 in class A, but switched over to a 5th wheel this year. Enjoy your unit and the experiences to come. Wife bought me a plaque that says “Reminisce, but...I’ll never do that again!“. I have many dumb things camping but never twice
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #19

Stuff

Ok, Congrats. Looks like heaven.

You're gonna need STUFF:
1. Gorilla glue on a screw that loosens or falls out acts like LocTite. Use sparingly. Bring a felt tip marker to "paint" any ooze after you scrape.
2. LocTite...again for anything that vibrates loose. The stove burners are a big culprit, and some of the "proprietary" screws don't come with replacement parts. Let me repeat. LocTite.
3. A plastic parts box full of stainless nuts, bolts, screws...all sizes. Don't forget nylock nuts for the bolts. Don't be afraid to replace a crappy screw with a bolt. Stainless is compatible with aluminum, and it doesn't rust. Get screws all the way up to #14, because you may need 'em.
4. Tools of course...mostly in the truck. But get some simple slip joint pliers and a 4 way screwdriver for the kitchen drawer. Handy.
5. You're gonna boondock? Cool. Bring lots of LED lights and lanterns. Save the battery for essential stuff...like the furnace, water pump, spark ignition on the fridge and hot water heater. Battery power is PRECIOUS.
6. Check the hangers on your fresh water tank. Most likely, they will need reinforcements. The forum is full of stories of fresh tanks falling out of rigs. Search the forum for these.
7. Get an adapter to allow you to dump grey water. https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-Bl...9651749&sr=8-1 Grey water fills quickly, and with a short hose an bucket, you can dump it and water trees with it - well away from the lake or stream.
8. Does your grey water merge with the black water and all come out the same disgusting place? Many do. If not you're lucky. If so, adapt your grey tank dump pipe with a Fernco T, a Valtera 1 1/2" valve, an 1 1/2" glue-to-thread and a bit of 1 1/2" pipe. Use a tiny bungee to support this extension.
Fernco: https://smile.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT...651970&sr=8-32 Go to Home Depot...they are $7.
Valtera valve: https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-71...s%2C207&sr=8-4
9. Boondocking? Get solar. a 100 watt system and your tiny dealer battery can enable indefinite boondocking if you are very frugal with power: https://smile.amazon.com/Renogy-Mono...652297&sr=8-19 You can simply add 3 more panels to this and upgrade your batteries to two x 6 volt golf cart batteries once you see the solar light. I had a system like this on my popup, and with care, I never ran out of battery.
10. Boondocking?: you get to use 1/2 of your battery...that's all, or you'll ruin it. I presume a standard group 24 "marine" battery from the dealer. You get to use 35 amp hours.
This formula will help you: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html Voltage is ALWAYS 12 on battery power. Figure out your loads from the data plates on appliances or owners manuals.
If you run a 10 amp load for 30 minutes (1/2 hour), that's a 5 amp hour (AH) drain. Add 'em up. Check the furnace especially. They use between 5 and 10 amps when running. Determine the "duty cycle"...let's say that on a cold night the furnace runs 25% of the time for the 8 hours you are in bed. 10 amps x 8 hours x .25 = 20 amp hours....out of the total 35 your battery holds...EVERY NIGHT. You need solar in blue sky Montana...and you need...
11. Boondocking? You need a simple inverter generator. <$500 at Harbor Freight will get you this. https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-W...UaAuBAEALw_wcB Consumer Reports recommends this, and it costs half of what a Honda costs. It is SLIGHTLY louder...but not $500 louder. There are other good options from Champion and others. Ask before you buy, though, because you can get junk.
12. Boondocking?: Bring more water. I carry 4 of these in my pickup bed. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001QC31...s%2C216&sr=8-5 Note that you can make an adapter from the cap (get a couple spare caps) using 1/2" npt thread to barb plastic fitting. Add clear plastic hose and a hose clamp, and you can transfer water from the jug to the fresh water tank fill very easily. 4 of these are like a second fresh water tank. Does your wife shower...now she can shower guilt free, and you won't be paranoid about running out of water.
13. Towing? You need a good jack for the trailer. Again, Harbor Freight comes to the rescue: https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-...ack-96648.html Your truck jack can't handle a fully loaded RV. You probably have a scissors jack in the truck. This and some 2 x 6 blocks will lift your trailer easily.
14. Jacking? Learn WHERE to lift the trailer. Typically jacking the axle is a no-no. Read the manual or ask where to place the jack.
15. Towing? Get a decent 12 volt air compressor. Not the junk that plugs into the cigarette lighter. A good compressor may draw 15 amps, and they clamp to the battery. Your jumper cables can act as an extension cord. I have this jack. It's enough...barely enough but enough. https://smile.amazon.com/VIAIR-90P-P...9653193&sr=8-1
16. Got Bears?: https://smile.amazon.com/Counter-Ass...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== I have 3 of these.
17. Almost forgot. Got generator? Switch the fridge from "auto" to "gas" to prevent the fridge from loading the generator when you try to use the microwave or another powerful appliance. Your wife will LOVE the microwave. The fridge makes heat to evaporate the refrigerant. Heat takes LOTS of power. Gas has LOTS of power.

Something to remember. Batteries SUCK as energy storage devices. The 2 "5 gallon" (20 pound) propane tanks on the tongue of your rig contain the energy equivalent of 87 of the "gold standard' of RV battery banks: 4 x 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel. 87 times the energy. That's about 600 times as much usable energy as the puny battery the dealer gave you!! Use propane when you can.

I can't say this is everything you need to know, but it's a start.
Happy camping!!

This better get me a Pulitzer.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #20

I know what you mean about camping in a tent! But my wife is worse she says roughing it is a three star hotel so I had to go buy a 4-star A-Class precept 36a LOL
Shoman04 is offline   Reply With Quote