Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Welcome To Jayco Owners Forums > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #1

Smile Never RV'd Before - AZ Jayco Class C - 2 Month Trip Coming

Hi Everyone!

I'm a totally new Jayco owner (Class C) and excited to be here. I'm going to be taking my family on a 2-3 month journey in the summer time (I can work remotely) and will be posting my mods and fixes on the forum. We will also be doing a project on the road and will be trying to get some sponsors for the project. I'll let you know how that goes!

I have recently scrapped the roof and put down new sealant for anyone who might want to see how I did that with EternaBond and now I'm working on an outlet issue with the entertainment center.

I'm interested in sharing and getting some feedback for all the things I DON'T know which is pretty much everything.

We picked up a 2007 Jayco Melbourne 29D that is beautiful and has very low miles. AZ coach so no rust... just a few things to fix and some paint checking but other than that we are good to go! Can't wait for the maiden voyage!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #2

Welcome Handy,

Wow it all sounds very exciting. Sounds like a lot of things going on for you all at the same time and I'm intrigued.

How are the tires on the rig? If the tread looks good but they're old you might need to still get them changed out.

Tell us more about your itinerary too.

Best of luck and enjoy the process/journey!

Cheers,

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

Welcome to JOF, Handy. We are glad you joined us and wish you many happy journeys and memories with your family.
We will be here if you need any help.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. There is a lot of knowledge here and folks willing to share it.

Join in and keep us up to date. There is also a host of info here just for the reading on many subjects. The search function on our software leaves something to desire but there is a google search function that only searches this forum. It can be a useful tool because sometimes with a new member it's like drinking from a fire hose.

Here is the link. I think it will be helpful.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post607732

Also when new to tis forum there will be many acronyms used that may be confusing. We have them listed in a thread that members add to and us moderators try to keep the first post in the thread currant. It may be helpful as well:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nyms-2676.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Congrats on your "new" Melbourne 29D and welcome to the forum.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #6

Welcome Handy! I am up the road in Prescott. You will be amazed at all the great places there are to RV up this way. We do both parks and dry camping most of the year. Heading up to Williams this afternoon.

I have learned a lot on here. Keep asking and reading!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

Congratulations on your "new" RV. That's quite an adventurous trip for a new RVer. Where are you planning on traveling and when? Your in Az, so I can assume some of it will be out west. If it's during the summer, you may want, especially in typical "tourist" areas, to make reservations well ahead of time. Most of the campgrounds in these areas are filled months ahead of time and state parks almost a year in advance.

You also mentioned working from anywhere, I assume that means internet is utilized. Again many of these "tourist" areas, even with your own cell based wifi you may experience difficulty doing much more than an email or two. We worked last year and again this year in Utah, in a small town of less than 1000. T Mobile works fantastic 80% of the time, but during the high season (june to August) and especially weekends your lucky to even make a phone call. These systems are not designed for the 15,000 to 20,000 that visit daily during those times. It's designed for the 1,000 that live there full time. Wifi, I was only able to get on after midnight and for a short period of time. This is not unusual. Verizon was worse, as T Mobile was the main cell service for this area.
I say this so you can plan ahead and when you really need the internet you can be in an area where your access may be best.
Because the whole country is not wired like the more dense East and large cities, this is why the government is planning to spend $50 billion to build that internet infrastructure.

Good Luck and keep us informed. This forum is a wealth of information regarding using and maintaining your RV also.

Happy Camping, how old are your kiddies?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Welcome to JOF. There is a lot of knowledge here and folks willing to share it.

Join in and keep us up to date. There is also a host of info here just for the reading on many subjects. The search function on our software leaves something to desire but there is a google search function that only searches this forum. It can be a useful tool because sometimes with a new member it's like drinking from a fire hose.

Here is the link. I think it will be helpful.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post607732

Also when new to tis forum there will be many acronyms used that may be confusing. We have them listed in a thread that members add to and us moderators try to keep the first post in the thread currant. It may be helpful as well:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nyms-2676.html
Thanks for all the tips!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Congratulations on your "new" RV. That's quite an adventurous trip for a new RVer. Where are you planning on traveling and when? Your in Az, so I can assume some of it will be out west. If it's during the summer, you may want, especially in typical "tourist" areas, to make reservations well ahead of time. Most of the campgrounds in these areas are filled months ahead of time and state parks almost a year in advance.

You also mentioned working from anywhere, I assume that means internet is utilized. Again many of these "tourist" areas, even with your own cell based wifi you may experience difficulty doing much more than an email or two. We worked last year and again this year in Utah, in a small town of less than 1000. T Mobile works fantastic 80% of the time, but during the high season (june to August) and especially weekends your lucky to even make a phone call. These systems are not designed for the 15,000 to 20,000 that visit daily during those times. It's designed for the 1,000 that live there full time. Wifi, I was only able to get on after midnight and for a short period of time. This is not unusual. Verizon was worse, as T Mobile was the main cell service for this area.
I say this so you can plan ahead and when you really need the internet you can be in an area where your access may be best.
Because the whole country is not wired like the more dense East and large cities, this is why the government is planning to spend $50 billion to build that internet infrastructure.

Good Luck and keep us informed. This forum is a wealth of information regarding using and maintaining your RV also.

Wow that's a lot of great info to consider! We are planning a route up through Utah and into Idaho, Yellowstone, Canada, and then back through Seattle and down the coast. We've done long trips in the past, 2-3 weeks but never one like this! I'll keep you posted on the planning!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbn View Post
Welcome Handy! I am up the road in Prescott. You will be amazed at all the great places there are to RV up this way. We do both parks and dry camping most of the year. Heading up to Williams this afternoon.

I have learned a lot on here. Keep asking and reading!
I come up to Prescott for work, we'll have to get together sometime.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

Oh, my kids range from 10 years to 2 years old! All great travelers.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
Welcome Handy,

Wow it all sounds very exciting. Sounds like a lot of things going on for you all at the same time and I'm intrigued.

How are the tires on the rig? If the tread looks good but they're old you might need to still get them changed out.

Tell us more about your itinerary too.

Best of luck and enjoy the process/journey!

Cheers,

Jeff
Tires are great on tread but they have some cracks on the side wall so going to replace them ASAP before the trip. Do you have a tire pressure monitoring system and is it worth it to put one on? It would seem to be a good thing to have.

We are heading up into Utah, Idaho, Canada, Seattle, and then back down the coast. Should be fun!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Tires are great on tread but they have some cracks on the side wall so going to replace them ASAP before the trip. Do you have a tire pressure monitoring system and is it worth it to put one on? It would seem to be a good thing to have.

We are heading up into Utah, Idaho, Canada, Seattle, and then back down the coast. Should be fun!
There are many different TPMS systems around. Each has his own favorite. Mine is TSP ( Truck System Technologies). I do not feel safe without it after using it for 5 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post

Let us know your route and we can make some suggestions. Utah is wonderful with tons to see, but, most of it is very remote. Cell phone coverage will be spotty at best...wifi...well. Moab, Brice, Zion, Flaming Gorge, Bear Lake, tons of places to visit and the kids will enjoy it also. The Teatons, Yellowstone, fantastic but crowded. Canada and Trans Canadian Hwy is beautiful Baniff Jasper park is breathtaking. Down the coast, in Oregon and California, the redwoods all fantastic. The other side of Oregon is Crater Lake, truly breathtaking.

All these places fill quickly and I suggest reservations, especially on the weekends. Idaho has some spectacular places, even a Potato Museum ! The kids would get a kick out of it.

Many of those places you will also have iffy wifi even with cell hot spots, so be prepared, especially from mid June to mid August when kids are out of school May want to hit Durango and ride the Durango Silverton Steam Train...scenery is honestly breathtaking and Silverton is just a spectacular little town in a beautiful valley.

So much to see, short time to see it. We have spent the last 8 years all over that area and love it. Were reverse snowbirds I guess... have a home in Az but get out from about April to October.

Half the fun of the trip is planning, get the kids involved.. They can be assigned a state and do research and then report back to the family what is there and what they suggest to see. Worked well on our 5 kids and they learned a lot... and that was in the days when you had to write to get information.. no internet LOL

Slot canyons in Page, if you've not see it are great and the kids would love it.

Happy Planning !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issues, new owner, projects, summer