Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Not feeling very welcome

Have a defective irc32 radio and have been trying for a week to have it addressed... unit was delivered 8/31/2018 and issue reported at once.

dealer indicates 4-6 weeks to get it addressed to see if Jayco will warranty it.
Suggested I contact Jayco..... not EZ todo......
Jayco refused to do anything unless it goes thru a dealer.
Jayco refused to sell me a radio directly
Jayco parts advised they have 16 in stock but says I have to go thru a dealer
Asked the dealer for a price and no answer yet...

Is it really this hard to deal with Jayco?
Did I make a mistake with this purchase ?

Is there a consumer advocate process at Jayco?
What a run around......

B
Hangar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

Sounds like the dealer dropping the ball, Jayco wont do anything until the dealer submits the warranty claim for that part. If its in stock Jayco will send it to the dealer, if not they have to order one. I would be after the dealer to submit the paperwork, then you can follow up with Jayco to keep the process rolling
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Sorry about the radio but Welcome
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about the situation...very irritating. Now that Jayco is part of a big corporation, I wouldn't hold my breath on advocacy from them.
However, there is the section in Trailer Life Magazine that deals with this sort of thing. Don't have the mag here with me, but you can pick one up at a bookstore. Have no idea how fast they are, but looks like they get good results. Best wishes---you ARE welcome here!

I found this site to be very useful:
https://www.campsitephotos.com
(no, I get no compensation from them)
kwatson51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Sounds like the dealer dropping the ball, Jayco wont do anything until the dealer submits the warranty claim for that part. If its in stock Jayco will send it to the dealer, if not they have to order one. I would be after the dealer to submit the paperwork, then you can follow up with Jayco to keep the process rolling

X2
Sounds like a dealer dropping the ball..

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

Howdy Neighbor and welcome to the group! If you bought from the dealer to the north of us (Exit 19) good luck as their service department is absolutely horrible. Keep on them and force their hand. Once you know for sure they submitted the claim follow up with Jayco directly - They will usually make things right...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

Hi, welcome, howdy, Hi, nice to meet you etc etc etc

Welcome to a great place full of friends you just haven't met yet

I would hit the dealer REALLY hard to pull one out of a unit in the lot and do a switch for you.
The other alternative (which stinks) is go to one of your local auto audio shops and do a nice upgrade for you. Stinks having to spend more money but you will end up with a much nicer unit. I am a stereo nut so I would hit Jayco up for a check in place of another unit.
I'm kind of if I have to wait or get the run-around I'll take care of my own problem and remember it when it's time for a new TT or dealer services.
By the way
HELLO!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

I did hit the dealer very hard begging first then sarcastic.... Absolute STONE WALL, ZERO empathy ... its going to take 4- 6 weeks... We do not care.... Try JAYCO direct... which was a waste of time....

[ keeping in mind that I offered to BUY a unit while mine was being repaired.. ]

I did find out Jayco has 16 units in stock and they are stupid cheap...
trying to buy one thru a dealer .... and have it shipped... As jayco refuses to sell direct...

If anyone knows a Jayco dealer who believes in customer service, please feel free to post a name / number.... I have the part number for the unit...

We are in South Jersey, but shipping is OK ...

We do like the unit so far, Other than the radio issue, all appears to be OK...

BUT The wife and I have a grand total of 3 nights in our 38FDDS so far...
Not sure we would know an issue if we had one.....

Thank you all for the comments and help.... I hope to be able to contribute a bit, once I get RV experience.... If there are any Vintage metric bike people out there, I am an Honda Magna fan..... V42, V45 and V65..... I own Gen 1 and Gen 3 Magnas.... Yes I do Carb work.........
Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

Did the dealer mean it will take 4-6 weeks for them to receive the part or 4-6 weeks before they can get you in to look at it. Everything has to start at the Jayco dealer just like a car, if the radio goes out in my Ford I cant call Ford customer service and ask for a radio, I have to take it to the dealer, they order and install the part. I was lucky my dealer worked with me since they are 140 miles away, I had three items that needed to be replaced during warranty. I took pictures and sent to my salesman, they ordered the parts and Jayco shipped them direct to me, never took more than two weeks. The weak link with most warranty problems is the dealer, they are very slow to turn in paperwork so the parts can be ordered, then service is so backed up it takes weeks to schedule a repair date. Your lucky its just a radio something you can do without for now, I would finish up the camping season and take it in over winter to have repairs done
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar11 View Post
Have a defective irc32 radio and have been trying for a week to have it addressed... unit was delivered 8/31/2018 and issue reported at once.

dealer indicates 4-6 weeks to get it addressed to see if Jayco will warranty it.

Suggested I contact Jayco..... not EZ todo......

Jayco refused to do anything unless it goes thru a dealer.

Jayco refused to sell me a radio directly

Jayco parts advised they have 16 in stock but says I have to go thru a dealer

Asked the dealer for a price and no answer yet...

Is it really this hard to deal with Jayco?

Did I make a mistake with this purchase ?

Is there a consumer advocate process at Jayco?

What a run around......

B

Sounds like maybe you need to find a different dealer......

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

Send a letter to the president of Jayco, registered mail, you don't have much to loose plenty to gain. Last thing the office of the president wants to deal with is something as simple as a replacement stereo. Done this plenty of times to other mega corporations, always gotten action. FYI put at the bottom of the letter CC a local law firm whether you do so or not.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post
Send a letter to the president of Jayco, registered mail, you don't have much to loose plenty to gain. Last thing the office of the president wants to deal with is something as simple as a replacement stereo. Done this plenty of times to other mega corporations, always gotten action. FYI put at the bottom of the letter CC a local law firm whether you do so or not.
On what planet would this be the correct course of action? You are as bad as the protesters that protester about everything. If your unable to work with the selling dealer switch to another. Jayco has over 200 to choose from. Jayco will not sell you direct.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
On what planet would this be the correct course of action? You are as bad as the protesters that protester about everything. If your unable to work with the selling dealer switch to another. Jayco has over 200 to choose from. Jayco will not sell you direct.

I don't accept poor customer service, what if that next dealer is hour away? That dealer got his money why put up with shoddy service? What I propose is not protesting it's filing a complaint to the highest level at Jayco to get problem correctly dealt with, like OP said not going to walk away from problem but face it head on.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #14

When my radio went out in my 2016 Greyhawk, I contacted JAYCO by email and they sent me a new one. I installed it myself. Try contacting this guy at the factory. Jacob_Frey@jayco.com. He took care of me earlier this year. He's a customer service Supervisor.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Did the dealer mean it will take 4-6 weeks for them to receive the part or 4-6 weeks before they can get you in to look at it. Everything has to start at the Jayco dealer just like a car, if the radio goes out in my Ford I cant call Ford customer service and ask for a radio, I have to take it to the dealer, they order and install the part. I was lucky my dealer worked with me since they are 140 miles away, I had three items that needed to be replaced during warranty. I took pictures and sent to my salesman, they ordered the parts and Jayco shipped them direct to me, never took more than two weeks. The weak link with most warranty problems is the dealer, they are very slow to turn in paperwork so the parts can be ordered, then service is so backed up it takes weeks to schedule a repair date. Your lucky its just a radio something you can do without for now, I would finish up the camping season and take it in over winter to have repairs done
I think he meant 4 ~ 6 weeks to get an appointment to bring the RV in for the dealer to check, verify that the issue is with the radio and not caused by something else.

Based on what I've read the 4 ~ 6 weeks isn't unusual to get an appointment and I understand that Jayco has a policy on how these issues are handled and isn't going to waiver from their policy. And since this isn't a trip cancelling type of situation, and not knowing what issues may have the dealer backed up 4 ~ 6 weeks, I'm not going to bash the dealer on the timing for looking at the unit to determine the cause of the issue.

The wait time doesn't bother me. In my business I've seen lead-times on products triple and back-ups in the timing to get service that could take a day to actually accomplish take weeks due to a back-up in service. What I would get upset about is lying about something (outright telling you something they know they can't do) or claiming to have done work that never was done.

Yes, at times you can squeeze something into the queue that you think will be a quick fix (that can sometimes backfire) but that's really up to the dealer to decide. What I expect is a clear communication about the process and that they follow through with what I've been told.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar11 View Post
We are in South Jersey, but shipping is OK ...
Try Fretz in Souderton, PA. May be close enough depending on what you mean by South Jersey.

I ordered an awning arm and they had it drop shipped from the manufacturer but not sure that would work in this case.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #17

Much further north than Kingston.... Albany area....
We love the selection, they had
Salesmen was good, considering we waffled quite a bit as newbies...
Price was very competitive...
Walk thru was excellent...
Delivery communication was perfect and ontime to the minute...

Then came the attempt to deal with service
EPIC FAILURE.... Both on the dealers part and Jayco....

I found another dealer, conversation regarding the defective radio went well,
If they perform, and I expect they will they will be my base dealer for the add ons we want to do ...

A broken radio should have been one phone call or email, done...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 PM   #18

No they were clear 4-6 weeks to get me the radio... 2-4 weeks to buy a new radio... which jayco had 16 of on the shelf. Never needed or asked an appt. as I have a park model, had it delivered, no towing capabilities. They were very delayed in replying, whining about not being able to "test" the radio" and if they could not test they have to send it back to me broken.
[ yes really happened.... ]
No time or patience for them... I hope the new dealer works out...

Another dealer quoted 5-7 days for the new radio, which I ordered and expect next week. They will address the repair of the defective radio, but I did not press them on a time to address... as our vacation is over Sunday.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #19

I had a bad drawer track my dealer ordered the part and I gave him the bad lne wben i picked up the replacement. I dont do business with the dealer i purchased from . Service dept. failde to return 2 calls so i moved on. Lower MI dealer
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #20

New dealer might not be easy

I had little or no trouble with my own selling dealer, Richardson RV in Riverside/Menifee CA. Unfortunately, when you buy from one dealer it can be a real challenge to get another dealer to handle warranty problems. Of course, Jayco and any RV or auto manufacturer claim you can get warranty work from any dealer. Would be nice if it works that way, especially if the second dealer is in the same area as the selling dealer. Even when traveling, it can be difficult to get any service from a dealer hundreds or thousands of miles from the selling dealer. Generally, auto dealers are better about this than RV dealers, but you simply don't know what you are going to encounter when you pull in to the dealer's lot. I've had great service from some dealers and others who say they will do it, but it will be two, three, four or more weeks before they can get to me. Not very helpful. RV dealers seem to think an RV purchase is a one time deal and never expect to sell you another. Dumb way of thinking, I've owned seven RV's since 1976, though at 75 I suspect I'm on my last one. Still, you would think a dealer would make a lifetime customer even if it results in only a couple of rigs sold.